- - - - -

What's The Loadout?

21 replies to this topic

#1 wolfpuppy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I started playing MechWarrior back in the day when Activision first came out with it. I remember how one could go into the mech lab and see all the mechs and the weapons that could be put on them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't seem like it works that way now. For example, I am in the market to buy a mech, and I would like to be able to use the gauss gun. In the earlier MechWarrior games, I seem to remember that you could use just about any weapon you wanted on just about any mech, as long as you could afford it, there was room for it, and it wasn't too heavy. The important thing was that all information on the mech was there to read. You could pick your mech according to whatever loadout you wanted, within reasonable parameters.

My problem (and I may just be missing something) is that I haven't been able to research the various mechs to the point where I can tell what weapons they can use. Unlike the earlier version, these mechs seem to have proprietary weapon systems. Furthermore, I have not been able to determine how to "see" what these weapon systems are for any given mech. When I go to the store and bring up all the mechs, I can get no information on what weapons they use. I can't tell whether any given mech uses all energy, can carry a gauss rifle, or what. From what I can tell, it seems as though I will be buying a 'Pig in a Poke', because it appears that I won't know what weapon systems will be on it until I buy it.

There are only two possibilities. One, I am not looking in the right place and am doing it all wrong, or, two, this is an omission by the devs. I am hoping that it is the former, because if it is the latter, I am going to have to spend a lot of time on this forum to figure out which mechs I should get and which ones to avoid.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Use this (look over the mechs in a summary view) or click mechlab on that site to get individual detailed looks.

Alternatively in game, click "Mechlab." "Filter." "Purchasable." Any mech you see is one you can get. Click to see it physically. Hover the mouse to get the details (Hope you're not at a high resolution; it'll be very unreadable).

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Different games have used different systems. Some have used limits based on weapon size/slots, and some have used no limits at al.

MWO uses hardpoints based on weapon type; a ballistic weapon can be swapped for any other ballistic weapon.

If you want a gauss rifle, look for a mech with a ballistic hardpoint and sufficient number of slots in that location.

#4 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

In game, if you go to Mechlab, sort by "purchasable" (or something like that). It'll show you all the mechs, Champions and Heroes first, and if you select a mech and click the "mech details" button in the lower right it will give you the stock loadout.

Another option is to go to http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/, it's the best out-of-game resource there is.

As far as putting weapons on mechs, MWO uses a hardpoint system, and splits weapons into three types - missiles, ballistic and energy. So you are a little more limited in what you can swap around, but you do still have flexibility. The main thing is that if you want to add a gauss (a ballistic) you need to make sure you buy a mech with a ballistic hardpoint (and enough room and weight to mount it).

#5 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

View Postwolfpuppy, on 02 June 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

<snip>

My problem (and I may just be missing something) is that I haven't been able to research the various mechs to the point where I can tell what weapons they can use. Unlike the earlier version, these mechs seem to have proprietary weapon systems. Furthermore, I have not been able to determine how to "see" what these weapon systems are for any given mech. When I go to the store and bring up all the mechs, I can get no information on what weapons they use. I can't tell whether any given mech uses all energy, can carry a gauss rifle, or what. From what I can tell, it seems as though I will be buying a 'Pig in a Poke', because it appears that I won't know what weapon systems will be on it until I buy it.

<snip>

The bolded part is the problem - the store doesn't let you see any of the information. You can do it in the MechLab tab, not the store. In MechLab mouse over a mech and it will display the current weapons on the mech, and the number and type of hardpoints (A restriction that only allows a certain type of weapon in addition to the weight and critical spaces) on the mech. There is also the Mech Details button that will give you the visual representation of where everything is located.

Also - outside the game there are much better resources - smurfy as others have linked to.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 02 June 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Davic Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMisery

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Buckminster for pointing me to the direction of 'Smurfy's' ... heard a few talking about it ingame but wondered where to get a link ! :angry:

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postsnessuk, on 02 June 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Thanks Buckminster for pointing me to the direction of 'Smurfy's' ... heard a few talking about it ingame but wondered where to get a link ! ;)

Psst.
Several links were given in your thread too, even two from me. We just didn't directly call it Smurfy.

#8 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Koniving! In Jump Turkey colors?! I'm shocked, just shocked!

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

View Post1453 R, on 03 June 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Koniving! In Jump Turkey colors?! I'm shocked, just shocked!

Looks like he went back to the sword though. ;)

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Damn. That was fast. BUT I SAW IT ANYWAYS, YOU SNEAK THIEF.

#11 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

He's crafty like that. I saw him in Steiner colors once. Once....

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Probably a Death Commando infiltration ruse..... :)

#13 wolfpuppy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the answers. It was all me. As soon as I did what was suggested, I got to the area where I could view all the mechs and see the loadouts, etc. I was also given about six trial mechs, so I am having a ball with them.

Damn this addicting game! :)

#14 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Glad you're loving it! You're timing is actually really good - they've just bumped up to the 12 trial champion mechs, which gives you a lot of decent options. You should have seen it back when the trial mechs were 4 random *stock* mechs. They just didn't have a chance against veteran players.

#15 wolfpuppy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, I remember when there were just four. I lasted about, oh, 10 seconds or so. It is pretty cool using all of these trial mechs now, although I realize they are somewhat limited.

Now, what I need to do, is find a way to avoid those bloody missles! I got so creamed last game... I will add, though, that the posters here are some of the nicest and most polite people I have ever seen on forums. Thanks for that.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

Just make sure you keep well out of the General Discussion forums when those open up to you. The Training Grounds folks are awesome; GD's where you find all the not-so-awesome people T_T.

#17 wolfpuppy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Roger that.

#18 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/

use it, love it, learn

#19 wolfpuppy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

You know, I do have another question that I could start a new thread with, but I will just put it out here. You know how, in some games, there are mechs with the red triangles above them, and you can use R to range them? And others that, even though they are in range, do not show up? You can only see them when they are visible and, usually, shooting you? Are those mechs using something to hide their presence somewhat? Or, are they using first person instead of third?

Also wondering. . does powering down help avoid long range missiles? I think it did in the earlier versions of this game, but it doesn't seem to help much here. Just curious.

#20 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

View Postwolfpuppy, on 06 June 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

You know, I do have another question that I could start a new thread with, but I will just put it out here. You know how, in some games, there are mechs with the red triangles above them, and you can use R to range them? And others that, even though they are in range, do not show up? You can only see them when they are visible and, usually, shooting you? Are those mechs using something to hide their presence somewhat? Or, are they using first person instead of third?

Also wondering. . does powering down help avoid long range missiles? I think it did in the earlier versions of this game, but it doesn't seem to help much here. Just curious.

1. Guardian ECM. Cloaks the user and their friendlies within 180 m.
2. Yes, but missiles keep going to your last location though so they will hit you. Within 120 m Beagle active probe equipped mechs can still target you and shoot streaks at you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users