23 replies to this topic

#1 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Considering all the worrying about poptarts and a like. Why not have a recoil mechanic for mechs that alpha strike on ground and make that standing jump jet alpha can topple your mech over on landing. Also have mechs that can fall down on sloped terrain after landing back down from jump jets.

Thats what i would call simulated experience. (Hill Climb module would be more value then)

PS: Im just another founder recommending the same idea's 2 years a go from closed beta from other founders. !!!

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Might work. Large weapons such as AC10/20, PPCs, and LRMs may unbalance the mech in air enough to make the landing go awry. And if you alpha 2AC5s+2PPCs, then you will need to heavily work for your landing, or tumble down and wreck 1/3 of your mech's armor.

Lasers shouldn't be affected though.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 June 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#3 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Punishing the act will never prevent the act if the act's benefit outweighs the punishment. And large bursts of heat, knockdowns, shutdowns, and recoil effects only come into effect AFTER the massive damage has already been laid out. And they are entirely mitigated by the jump sniper descending behind cover.

Until the benefit of jump sniping is equal to the penalty, people will lean towards it as a tactic. And right now, any penalty that is severe enough to make someone reconsider jump sniping would have to be as serious as, say, a leg just falling off outright.

It's clear that the Jump Sniper (and indeed, the pinpoint sniper in general) needs a reduction in effectiveness so the cost-benefit-opportunity of his tactic is more in balance with other tactics.

#4 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

Not trying to make a punishment of damage. When knocked downs were implemented having a mech fall down means your are the focus of the enemy and pretty much were rushed. If a lance of jump snipers were attacking and recoil toppled there mechs over, it would be around 10 seconds to get back up on its feets. Thats alot of time in a fire fight. even artillery or air strikes would rain down and they couldn't move.

#5 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 02 June 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

Considering all the worrying about poptarts and a like. Why not have a recoil mechanic for mechs that alpha strike on ground and make that standing jump jet alpha can topple your mech over on landing. Also have mechs that can fall down on sloped terrain after landing back down from jump jets.

Thats what i would call simulated experience. (Hill Climb module would be more value then)

PS: Im just another founder recommending the same idea's 2 years a go from closed beta from other founders. !!!

The real issue is front loading damage not poptarting it's self.

Do we ever see poptarts using SRMs and lasers? never because it doesn't work very well.

We do see poptarts using autocannon and PPC combos because the FLD mechanic is ideal for this technique.

Remove the FLD and the poptart will not be a dominating issue just a quirky tactic used on occation.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 June 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Might work. Large weapons such as AC10/20, PPCs, and LRMs may unbalance the mech in air enough to make the landing go awry. And if you alpha 2AC5s+2PPCs, then you will need to heavily work for your landing, or tumble down and wreck 1/3 of your mech's armor.

Lasers shouldn't be affected though.

ACs I can accept, but Missiles can have backblast which would negate recoil. Like firing a LAW or Dragon.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 June 2014 - 01:51 AM, said:

ACs I can accept, but Missiles can have backblast which would negate recoil. Like firing a LAW or Dragon.

1. I do not see any exhaust ports in the backs of mechs' missile launchers, which means the mechs likely brace against the missile ignition.

2. If we do not do that to LRMs, there will be outcries against LRM poptarts. I have done Lurmtarting in the majority of my matches and I know there are plenty of people having grievances about that. People will cry for LRM nerfs.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 June 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

In the books, landing was always the most difficult part and could easily have caused heavy damage to the legs if improperly executed. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a mech shot in mid-air would have serious issues upon landing, as the pilot's concentration and trajectory would be upset by the sudden impact.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 June 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

1. I do not see any exhaust ports in the backs of mechs' missile launchers, which means the mechs likely brace against the missile ignition.

2. If we do not do that to LRMs, there will be outcries against LRM poptarts. I have done Lurmtarting in the majority of my matches and I know there are plenty of people having grievances about that. People will cry for LRM nerfs.

I can just call it artistic licence. Many a Mech Mini has exhaust vents behind the missile launcher... People will cry for armor Nerfs on Locusts doesn't mean they deserve em! :)

Archer LRM20 pods (rear)
Posted Image
Although I do believe the vents are improperly placed... they are back there! ;)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 June 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 03 June 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

In the books, landing was always the most difficult part and could easily have caused heavy damage to the legs if improperly executed. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a mech shot in mid-air would have serious issues upon landing, as the pilot's concentration and trajectory would be upset by the sudden impact.

Specially if they are hit with a slug traveling at hyper sonic velocity(Gauss). :)

#11 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 June 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Specially if they are hit with a slug traveling at hyper sonic velocity(Gauss). :)

And if the poptart hit was a spider, he should probably become a sub-sonic projectile himself. pa-twaaaaaaaang!!

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 03 June 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

And if the poptart hit was a spider, he should probably become a sub-sonic projectile himself. pa-twaaaaaaaang!!

Posted Image

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 June 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

Archer LRM20 pods (rear) Posted Image Although I do believe the vents are improperly placed... they are back there! :)

Now you made me all upset. ;)

Fracking Harmony Gold, hoarding my Archer. It was supposed to be my favorite Lurmech. Not to mention PGI could have easily made 2 hero mechs out of it.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 June 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#14 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

If a mech has JJs in the torso (back), than it can hardly twist mid-air because it cannot create any torque (no footing); JJs fire nearly up and not sideways. So, severely restrict torso twist and yaw when airborne. Arms remain much more mobile, but "arm lock" becomes useless.

If a mech has JJs in the legs, it can still torso twist, but still much reduced and any hit may spin the mech slightly out of control making aiming with torso weapons very tricky. (Not ballerina style, but enough to make a difference. The heavier the hit at an extremity, the better)

Mech that JJ right over a target can still easily shoot down (lights), but heavies/assaults need to be aligned really well for a hit. So, no more jumping and firing at targets of opportunity. Once you press space, your torso twist is nearly fixed.

So, if you want to jumpsnipe at random targets, you either put everything in your arms and forego your tank side, or you reduce your strike power.

Just a thought.

(Also nice: PPC hits shut down JJs for 1s :) )

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 03 June 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#15 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 June 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Now you made me all upset. :)

Fracking Harmony Gold, hoarding my Archer. It was supposed to be my favorite Lurmech. Not to mention PGI could have easily made 2 hero mechs out of it.

Morgan's or Jamie's?

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostLykaon, on 03 June 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Morgan's or Jamie's?

Both. :)

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostLykaon, on 03 June 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Morgan's or Jamie's?

Morgan's
Posted Image
Jamie's
Posted Image

#18 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

I know PGI could never program it but it WOULD be funny as hell to nail a poptart in mid air and watch him tumble backwards or sideways or just do a flip and go splat on his face. Take about 10 seconds to get up and in a real time match that is nearly a death sentence.

#19 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Jeah they won't do that. But let's dream about a battlemech simulator ;)
"Awesome, how did he execute that jump without falling down? That's one good pilot!"

#20 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

Firing weapons in mid air should cause the hand of god to appear and give the mech a good slap.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users