• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

View Posteblackthorn, on 03 June 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

I ended up with 2xPPC / 6xMG / 1xSL / Endo / 235XL
Posted Image

EEEEW are you color blind lol. Change that paint!

#22 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostShlkt, on 04 June 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Bwuahaha AC/40 poptart!
2x AC/20 ARROW

The build does make certain... sacrifices...

Bah, you can do that on the BJ-1. How about a Quad AC5 ARROW? It also has a small laser for when you run out of ammo - not that you have enough armour to survive getting close enough to anything to use the small laser...

#23 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I just tried swapping out the two medium laser for a pair of flamers. And i was shocked to see it tearing off body parts with ease! Until i got cocky and faced up to a dragon and victor. Oops.

Makes sense though packing the flamers with the mg's not only do they compliment the critting but limited the enemys ability to shoot back works wonders. A barrage of flame and bullets works quite well against cockpits so i've found.

#24 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postmad kat, on 04 June 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

I just tried swapping out the two medium laser for a pair of flamers. And i was shocked to see it tearing off body parts with ease! Until i got cocky and faced up to a dragon and victor. Oops.

Makes sense though packing the flamers with the mg's not only do they compliment the critting but limited the enemys ability to shoot back works wonders. A barrage of flame and bullets works quite well against cockpits so i've found.

while I really love the ultimate criting of this build you would really have to hug your fatties as the range is so small.

#25 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Im trying 2 different build on my Arrow currently, still haven't decided which one is more fun than the other.

Triple Wub Arrow
2x SPL
1x LPL
6x MG w 2t
STD 235
12 DHS
2 JJ

Double LL Arrow
2x LL
6x MG w 3t
STD 225
12 DHS
2 JJ

Edited by xengk, 04 June 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#26 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

i went with 3MPLs and 6MGs to squeeze in the AMS i didn;t realize it didn;t have at first. good close up brawler especially if something's got some damage on it. not so effective early in the fight or a couple barely damaged lights find you.

even won a face to face with a phrat in one of my patented go around the corner and find myself face to face with something bigger techniques. the JJs let me get above some of his AC shots so even though i took some hits and was left with a red CT i managed to kill it. then something else came by and took out one of my side torsos (thx std engine) and i spent the rest of the match hiding at our base while the rest of the team rolled. can really do a number on something if they are focused on someone else too. took out a Jager with 3 alphas and MG spam because he refused to turn around and let me blast away at his rear armor til i killed him.

did think about trying xengk's SPL/LPL build though for a little extra range but for now the 3MPLs seem to work decently.

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostTanar, on 07 June 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

one of my patented go around the corner and find myself face to face with something bigger techniques.

Dang, you patented that?

Guess I owe you some Cbills. ^_^

#28 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

I've finally leveled up the Arrow far enough that I've got speed tweak and it's really starting to come into its own (can't wait for double basics). I'm already averaging only 6.3 damage per match less than my BJ-1 (267.6 vs 261.3),and I still have to unlock the three other elite pilot skills (and add a third module slot).

Surprisingly enough I've found the Flamer seems to be a great compliment to the bushel full of MGs. I've found that when I get up close enough to use the MGs properly I'm close enough that the enemy will be training his guns on me, but by moving and obscuring his view with the flamer I've been able to survive incidents I didn't expect to survive.

Due to not having double basics I stumbled on this ARROW build which works pretty well for me for a nice, rounded, standard engine build that uses little heat. You can pick away with the AC5 for mechs keeping their distance but when the battle gets close up the flamer blinds the target, the standard engine means he's got to CT core you to kill you, and all the while the MGs, small lasers, and AC5 are doing 10dps (and more when the internals are exposed).

If you use all the ballistic hardpoints the Arrow is a very 'in your face' mech, which suits my 'Once more unto the breach' play style well.

Edited by Ruccus, 08 June 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#29 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

I've been playing with a long range build for a bit and have got something I like - a triple AC2 Arrow. It can annoy the hell out of enemy mechs at a distance.

Only problem is that during long range dueling matches when both sides hunker down and wait for the other to do something I tend to run out of ammo when there are still plenty of mechs left. I've contemplated removing the MGs and adding more ammunition and maybe a single CT laser, but without double basics the AC2s heat up too quickly if I'm pressured by a light mech and forced to use them for an extended period of time.

#30 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

I'm using this build at the moment and its a gem. mg's, flamer, erlrg, mpl.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b40fff9566fd64b

Quite happy to challenge some lights with this, and have taken down numerous heavier mechs with it. The speed tweak helps and aiming for the cockpit is always a good move with Jagers, 'phracts, Catapults etc if they have enough armour remaining.

Edited by mad kat, 08 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#31 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

View Postxengk, on 04 June 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

Im trying 2 different build on my Arrow currently, still haven't decided which one is more fun than the other.

Triple Wub Arrow
2x SPL
1x LPL
6x MG w 2t
STD 235
12 DHS
2 JJ

Double LL Arrow
2x LL
6x MG w 3t
STD 225
12 DHS
2 JJ

View PostTanar, on 07 June 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

did think about trying xengk's SPL/LPL build though for a little extra range but for now the 3MPLs seem to work decently.

After a week or so, I have settle down into a cross between both build.
Balance ARROW
1x ER LL
2x MPL
6x MG w 2t
STD 235
11 DHS
4 JJ
Target Info Gathering
Coolshot 9+9

The ERLL let me poke targets during early game without too much exposure, it is hardly threatening but will often disturb sniper and LURMboat enough to get them moving and stop firing.
I guess even poptarting with a single ERLL can get on some people's nerve.

Twin MPL to defend the team's big boys from lights trying to spot for enemy LRM.
By mid or late game, it is time to swoop in and finish off wounded enemy with the Machine Guns and MPL.
Or dance the frantic damage spread jump jet dance if the team got stomped. :P

#32 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Putting an ac20 and 3xML on it is just a level of wastefulness below buying a FireBrand and then running AC40.

#33 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:04 AM

View Postxengk, on 10 June 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

After a week or so, I have settle down into a cross between both build.
Balance ARROW
1x ER LL
2x MPL
6x MG w 2t
STD 235
11 DHS
4 JJ
Target Info Gathering
Coolshot 9+9

The ERLL let me poke targets during early game without too much exposure, it is hardly threatening but will often disturb sniper and LURMboat enough to get them moving and stop firing.
I guess even poptarting with a single ERLL can get on some people's nerve.

Twin MPL to defend the team's big boys from lights trying to spot for enemy LRM.
By mid or late game, it is time to swoop in and finish off wounded enemy with the Machine Guns and MPL.
Or dance the frantic damage spread jump jet dance if the team got stomped. :P

i'd probably have to knock that down to regular MLs because i have to have AMS on everything...well ok a couple of my lights go without it but only cause there's no tonnage left. especially if srms are making a comeback after the patch (granted srms aren't AMS' preferred things to shoot down but it still helps)

#34 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostTanar, on 10 June 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

i'd probably have to knock that down to regular MLs because i have to have AMS on everything...well ok a couple of my lights go without it but only cause there's no tonnage left. especially if srms are making a comeback after the patch (granted srms aren't AMS' preferred things to shoot down but it still helps)

I tried that build, but I always end up with 1ton of un-utilized weight if I dont downgrade the FF.

#35 NCBronco

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

It doesn't look like any one has this setup so I will throw it out there.

X235
3 ML
5 MG x 2T
AC5 X 3T

AC5 for long distance
MG and ML on alpha -- never overheats and does constant damage with the ML tearing the armor away and MG finishing it off. Ohhh!! Not to mention the AC5 rocking the target every few seconds.

I am not a great pilot and this is my first Blackjack (not mastered or elite) but I still get my kills and semi-good damage.

#36 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

View Postxengk, on 10 June 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

I tried that build, but I always end up with 1ton of un-utilized weight if I dont downgrade the FF.

yeah i have the same problem with mine. either keep the FF and go at 44 tons with no slots to put anything or take the FF out and be at 45 tons with no tonnage left to put anything.

#37 Beik Ross Norst

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEerie, PA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostUrsh, on 10 June 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

Putting an ac20 and 3xML on it is just a level of wastefulness below buying a FireBrand and then running AC40.

I agree on principle, I already have an ac/20 BJ-1 that I love and run 90% of the time and the 6 ballistic hard points just scream use me. But since I already love the ac/20 BJ at least the Arrow lets me move a ML to CT and I'm getting a cbill bonus for running what I love. I haven't done it yet, trying some of those multi-ac/2 builds and mg's right now since I can (my 1st mech that can do that), but I think eventually I'll end up ac/20.

#38 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

been using this fella lately:

BJ-A "Uppercut II"

and the first match I dropped in with it I scored 5 kills with 464 damage done.

AC/5s are boss for this mech with its agility, high mounted hardpoints and small frame.

also, the 10/20m range increase for small lasers is perhaps the second best thing that coul ever have happened. (the best thing would've been if they'd made the range consistent with MG range.)

#39 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I've been playing around with another build that seems to be giving me some consistently decent games in the 350 to 500 damage range. While my triple AC2 build above works well at range, up close it's a bit weaker than I like so I started playing around with allocating a bit less tonnage to long range damage and a bit more to close range damage. It's similar to Inflatable Fish's above in that it's a dual AC5 build but uses a smaller engine to allow for more weaponry.

This Dual AC5 Arrow build is a bit slow (note that while my build uses a 190XL you can use a 195XL for the same tonnage - the 190XL was from my Locusts) but the two AC5s are nice at delivering good damage at range without a huge amount of heat, and up close it can pump out over 12dps inside 100m.

It's light on MG ammo but I felt it was better to have four tons of AC5 and one ton of MG ammo rather than 3 AC5 and 2 MG.

Also, if you own a Raven 3L there's this version of the build which uses the Raven's stock 210XL engine. It's 8kph quicker and has a higher sustainable dps, though its burst dps is lower.

#40 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Still, I can't see here non of my builds...

1. My first plan was: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f8c9a4b2cde3ac

But for basic was it too hot, and the CT E-HP too low to proper use...

2. After Clan Invasion (CERLL countersnipe) I used: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aa9e9efa7c2c8e8

Only problem was my lack of sniper-aim/brawling skills.

3. Now I have this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74e888448c2f678 (+ AC2 Range Modul)

Edited by Sky Hawk, 01 October 2014 - 05:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users