#1 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

So
Russ posted about a public poll to decide on a "mild refresh" or to keep the "heavy rework" tags we have now
Something that caught my attention was that while the online tags could be reworked fairly quickly
but the in game cockpit items would take longer to rework if we got new tags.
Now
Don't get me wrong
I love the old logos, but I really do appreciate the new ones and the work that went into them.
My suggestion
If the community wills it, the clans tags/logo we use on the forums should be given the mild refresh to look more like the classic logos we love while at the same time and any game assets( flags, medallions, ect.) would stay as they are and keep the heavy rework.
The way Russ said it seemed as if the in game assets were complete or close to done.
It's a win win, we get to keep our nostalgia, and the art department's hard work goes on appreciated and saves labor that would be better utilized on new maps and all the nice new **** we all want.
With this solution they don't need to go back in game and redo any work they've already completed.
Plus people who like the new logos would be able to keep them in some way.

I was really moved by Russ' post about reworking the logos and you know damn well somebody at PGI worked hard to reinvent those logos, which honestly aren't bad.
Should that hard work be appreciated in some form?
I strongly believe this would be an awesome way PGI and the community could compromise and maybe even be a nice step to an improved relationship between PGI and the community.

Edited by Destructicus, 04 June 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#2 Hell Hound

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

A vote or details on the art work should of been revealed to the community before it was said to be done. If that would of happen then PGI and the Community, especially the Clan Community, would not be in this position.

I except the fact that Russ wants to make the community vote on it and I'm perfectly fine with that.

#3 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Could someone less lazy than me use a program to make an animated version of the Ghost Bear logo? Just take the original one and morph it to the current one, with some tweaks so it looks like the bear is howling.

DO IT :)!

#4 Ardney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

My suggestion
If the community wills it, the clans tags/logo we use on the forums should be given the mild refresh to look more like the classic logos we love while at the same time and any game assets( flags, medallions, ect.) would stay as they are and keep the heavy rework.
The way Russ said it seemed as if the in game assets were complete or close to done.
It's a win win, we get to keep our nostalgia, and the art department's hard work goes on appreciated and saves labor that would be better utilized on new maps and all the nice new **** we all want.
With this solution they don't need to go back in game and redo any work they've already completed.
Plus people who like the new logos would be able to keep them in some way.

Better idea. Create new cockpit assets (flags, medallions, etc.) and put them in the shop alongside these abominations 're-imagined' versions of the logo. Then people can pay for what they like. There is nothing saying the shop must only carry one version of fluff items.

If PGI can stock the shop with tacky present-nation flags then they can stock the shop with these designs alongside the good ones.

Edited by Ardney, 04 June 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostArdney, on 04 June 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Better idea. Create new cockpit assets (flags, medallions, etc.) and put them in the shop alongside these abominations 're-imagined' versions of the logo. Then people can pay for what they like. There is nothing saying the shop must only carry one version of fluff items.

If PGI can stock the shop with tacky present-nation flags then they can stock the shop with these designs alongside the good ones.

I get what you're saying here, but this would defeat the purpose of what I'm saying in regards to saving the art team some labor and would only further delay new maps and stuff
My suggestion was more of a quick fix, but your idea would work just as well down the line you know?

#6 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostHell Hound, on 04 June 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

A vote or details on the art work should of been revealed to the community before it was said to be done. If that would of happen then PGI and the Community, especially the Clan Community, would not be in this position.

I except the fact that Russ wants to make the community vote on it and I'm perfectly fine with that.

so you expect there art department to come to you and get the community to sign off on there work before it should be let into there game? no the logos look fantastic get over it and move on.

you guy would never be happy unless they used the logos from damn near 20 years ago with absolutely no alterations, but what about all the calnners that thought the old logos looked poorly done and lacking in detail. as much as i love my ghost bear trothkin, the ghost bear emblem looks like it was made in a high school art project, and the smoke jaguar looks more like a bear then a jaguar, as for jade falcon its a shapeless flat green bird that looks like it was done in ms paint. its been 20 years guys let this stuff evolve.

Edited by raigner, 04 June 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

View Postraigner, on 04 June 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

so you expect there art department to come to you and get the community to sign off on there work before it should be let into there game? no the logos look fantastic get over it and move on. you guy would never be happy unless they used the logos from damn near 20 years ago with absolutely no alterations, but what about all the calnners that thought the old logos looked poorly done and lacking in detail. as much as i love my ghost bear trothkin, the ghost bear emblem looks like it was made in a high school art project, and the smoke jaguar looks more like a bear then a jaguar, as for jade falcon its a shapeless flat green bird that looks like it was done in ms paint. its been 20 years guys let this stuff evolve.

Speak for yourself. I love the old logos. Even the almighty shapeless purple bird of Marik! So what's wrong with the old JF logo? It even has much better rendition of katana than the new one.

Old Wolf logo is flat out better than the new one, and old GB logo is far more intimidating than the new GB Yogi bear. Also, it is Smoke Jaguar, not "Smoked Jaguar" as the new logo implies. New SJ logo is dumb beyond belief.

I will vote for the "mild touch" any day. It is not about how much the new ones look better, it is about what the old ones represent, and what emotion they used to evoke.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 June 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 June 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Speak for yourself. I love the old logos. Even the almighty shapeless purple bird of Marik! So what's wrong with the old JF logo? It even has much better rendition of katana than the new one.

Old Wolf logo is flat out better than the new one, and old GB logo is far more intimidating than the new GB Yogi bear. Also, it is Smoke Jaguar, not "Smoked Jaguar" as the new logo implies. New SJ logo is dumb beyond belief.

I will vote for the "mild touch" any day.

Don't get me wrong
I whole heartily prefer the old logos, but I'm thinking about the people who also like the new ones and about cutting labor and streamlining maps.
The new Ghost Bear and Wolf are by far the most disappointing and the Jade Falcon looks like it's just perching on a branch rather than carrying a katana
I'm just suggesting save the art department a little trouble by leaving the in game 3d models alone for e the time being or until we get some new maps

Edited by Destructicus, 04 June 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#9 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

What i'm willing to accept:
Posted Image

Gotta say though the jade falcon is a slight improvement(although overly detailed) over the original, since it actually looks like a falcon.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 04 June 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong I whole heartily prefer the old logos, but I'm thinking about the people who also like the new ones and about cutting labor and streamlining maps. The new Ghost Bear and Wolf are by far the most disappointing and the Jade Falcon looks like it's just perching on a branch rather than carrying a katana I'm just suggesting save the art department a little trouble by leaving the in game 3d models alone for e the time being or until we get some new maps

I was replying to Raigner, but I understand your view of resource management. If PGI told us to just stick with the new ones, I would have been ok with it. However, PGI has given us a choice now, and given the choice I would stick with the old one.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 June 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#11 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

The old Clan logos looked like logos. They were developed as iconography, not as decorative art. They have strong lines and sparse details on purpose, because they express the spartan nature of the clans. The nature of the art evokes things like national flags, because they are, in essence, Clan nationalities.

The American flag doesn't have patterns of dark and light to make it look like it's waving. Because it's a flag.

Leave it to PGI to jump through hoops apparently with the express purpose of just making things worse.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

^ What he says.

#13 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 04 June 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

The old Clan logos looked like logos. They were developed as iconography, not as decorative art. They have strong lines and sparse details on purpose, because they express the spartan nature of the clans. The nature of the art evokes things like national flags, because they are, in essence, Clan nationalities.

The American flag doesn't have patterns of dark and light to make it look like it's waving. Because it's a flag.

Leave it to PGI to jump through hoops apparently with the express purpose of just making things worse.

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 June 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

^ What he says.
Come on, it's not THIS bad: Posted Image

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostSephlock, on 04 June 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Come on, it's not THIS bad: Posted Image

Oh Lord, that looks like some kind of Chaos Titan from WH40K. My eyes.

#15 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Yeah...no. I would not mind a compromise, but for the fact that my logo in-game is a black/white blob of unintelligible crap.

#16 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

View Post101011, on 04 June 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Yeah...no. I would not mind a compromise, but for the fact that my logo in-game is a black/white blob of unintelligible crap.

My bad
when I say "ingame" I mean any 3d rendered assets, not eh tag you see when you tab.

#17 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

I much prefer the old Wolf logo.

Posted Image

Edited by Diablobo, 04 June 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#18 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

I feel bad for Clan Jade Sparrow's totem getting... significantly trimmed. But Wolf got it the worst. They got...

Posted Image

Naruto'd

#19 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostFupDup, on 04 June 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

They should use this as the new Ghost Bear logo:

Posted Image

I literally spit part of my dinner on my monitor. Next time you do something like that this funny, PLEASE give spare warning. Now I've got spaghetti on my screen.

#20 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Perhaps PGI can't use the old logos without paying FASA another fee. It's probably something to do with more copyright bullcrap.

They purchased the use of the IP, logos not included.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users