Clan Option Overload, New Players, And Cw

8 replies to this topic

#1 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

As a Snow Raven, I am really, really eager to get my very own forum icon. But I think there's something we tend to overlook. Since Faction is selected essentially as a forum icon and nothing else, and many players don't really have strong ties to the fiction or the universe, a huge flood of clan icons would result in a huge flood of clan players, leaving the IS factions depleted.

Because of this, I think we should really hold back on clamoring for every clan to be represented until an ingame, CW oriented mechanism for choosing faction is in place.

Quiaff?

#2 Tetryon88

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 05 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

As a Snow Raven, I am really, really eager to get my very own forum icon. But I think there's something we tend to overlook. Since Faction is selected essentially as a forum icon and nothing else, and many players don't really have strong ties to the fiction or the universe, a huge flood of clan icons would result in a huge flood of clan players, leaving the IS factions depleted.

Because of this, I think we should really hold back on clamoring for every clan to be represented until an ingame, CW oriented mechanism for choosing faction is in place.

Quiaff?

The original 4 invading clans are the only ones getting their logos in the short term. Russ hinted that they will be adding in a generic clan logo for the missing clans at present but I wouldn't worry to much about it. So far, we've seen a pretty decent mix of clan and IS logos in matches. You have to remember that a lot of the player base have already made strong ties to house communities and will probably not jump **** just for a logo.

I highly doubt we'll see the IS factions dry up overnight, especially since you can get clan mechs regardless of your allegiance.

#3 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

I have a hunch that when the dust settles, we will still be greatly outnumbered by the misguided freebirths - the only way that would change would be if PGI made CW such that clan players must use clan mechs, while freebirths have to use battlemechs - but no way that would ever happen. So we will just have to settle for having more targets.

#4 ALKALIN3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 05 June 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

I have a hunch that when the dust settles, we will still be greatly outnumbered by the misguided freebirths - the only way that would change would be if PGI made CW such that clan players must use clan mechs, while freebirths have to use battlemechs - but no way that would ever happen. So we will just have to settle for having more targets.

The more the merrier! SEYLA!

#5 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

Considering how many house icons are out there, when people joined up there was a bit of initial confusion but it sorted itself out well enough. I think it will be fine, honestly.

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 05 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Quiaff?

Neg. I do not agree. As Moenrg notes there are more than enough IS to deal with regardless of the number of tags.

#7 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'm probably only staying Kurita unless one of 2 things happen:
#1 IS can only use IS mechs, Clans can only use Clans, and the Mad Dog gets added to the game. Sorry Catapult, Dragon, and Jenner, the Mad Dog is my #1 favorite mech in Battletech. If that happens, Ghost Bear will have another "Support" playing.
#2 Goliath Scorpion becomes an option. They are just the coolest/most interesting out of the whole bunch. I look forward to re-enacting Dance of Scar duels with Mechs with some people. :)

Willing to join the Draconis Scorpion faction. :D Incredibly honor-bound samurai warriors in search of renewing the Star League, while performing Zellbrigen/Dance of Scars whenever they can, and using good guerilla tactics otherwise. With a fondness for precision and PPCs/Large Lasers, backed with Missles. :D

However I'd like to just wait how things go with the first 4 clans when Community Warfare hits. Then see what happens when they add they next 3, before we do anything else with the other clans. I'd really love all the clans and stuff to be in, but it needs to function first, and if there's not enough players to love a certain faction, then it's not functioning. Even though I'm okay with the idea of an underpopulated faction because of the fact that some people love to be the underdog.

#8 Draconis Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

@ Keeshu

I dont think they will allow Clan and IS specific mechs piloted by IS and Clanners only. In other MWO games, the IS factions gained clan mechs through salvage and trade, which included mix tech (although the other games are not considered cannon)

BTW love the sig.

#9 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

PGI should eventually code in Comstar has a faction and maybe the word of blake. That would be 7 right there to match the 7 clans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users