• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostWolf87535, on 02 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Mixing 12 man teams with smaller teams is your worst decision by far. That is as nice as it can be said. Would like to say more, but it is all ban-able at best.

Also curious in this thread why you think that...

#62 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

The new matchmaker has caused me serious trouble: I do not like to solo-pug and I do not like to take part in twelve man drops. The new matchmaker threatens to force me to pick one as when my lance gets dropped against a large group, the resulting seems less fun than rage quitting (I am loathe to rage quit, so I do not know that it would be more fun).

#63 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostRLBell, on 02 July 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

The new matchmaker has caused me serious trouble: I do not like to solo-pug and I do not like to take part in twelve man drops. The new matchmaker threatens to force me to pick one as when my lance gets dropped against a large group, the resulting seems less fun than rage quitting (I am loathe to rage quit, so I do not know that it would be more fun).

Have you tried to coordinate with the other groups on your team? It's not just "your lance" against the "large group" ... it might be your lance and a large group against a random collection of other groups.

#64 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Trinity company just had a good night of 10-man drops. Matches were relatively quick and quite balanced.

#65 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Have you tried to coordinate with the other groups on your team? It's not just "your lance" against the "large group" ... it might be your lance and a large group against a random collection of other groups.

Coordinating with the other groups requires the ability to type and pilot at the same time (Yes, I am that bad a pilot, but I often enjoy myself anyways, and I spend money, so my opinion has some value if people want me to keep spending it). using the chat interface is easy if you are reporting on a distant, enemy mech, but I suspect even the best pilots have trouble typing a sighting report while dodging incoming fire. It is easy for the large group to shepherd the small group. They just clump and the others will clump with them. When it is a four man and two or three other groups, coordination is harder.

The other problem is that the large group has often put some thought into picking mechs that work together. I am still wishing that the matchmaker would balance ECM modules. ECM mechs are specialty mechs and not everyone can play them well, so you get horrible matches when the large group on the other side brought ECM, and they lucked out with assigned team mates that also brought some, so it is four to zero in ECM modules.

If PGI cannot make sure the non-competitive players still have fun, we will stop spending money and move on.

#66 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Well, the good news is (according to Russ on the most recent NGNG podcast, anyway) that they are looking closely at better balance in the group queue, and are making progress.

#67 Yokomohoyo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Today was my final try at MechWarrior Online but the Matchmaker kept me waiting for about 5 minutes till I canceled. Then it sent me to a map like I was going to deploy but I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get into the Task Manager and end MechWarrior Online. Why do you have to wait more than a minute for a game that lasts 15 minutes? There should be an option for farming XP and c-bills so you don’t have to wait for the Matchmaker which should only be used for competitive play. To my knowledge most games that you have to farm have to option to farm against the computer. To my knowledge this is the only game that keeps me in the dark waiting so long to play a game. Other games that keep you waiting usually allow you to do other things while you wait or put you in the game launch screen instantly and wait for the other players to join. So this is goodbye for me.

#68 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostYokomohoyo, on 21 July 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Today was my final try at MechWarrior Online but the Matchmaker kept me waiting for about 5 minutes till I canceled. Then it sent me to a map like I was going to deploy but I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get into the Task Manager and end MechWarrior Online. Why do you have to wait more than a minute for a game that lasts 15 minutes? There should be an option for farming XP and c-bills so you don’t have to wait for the Matchmaker which should only be used for competitive play. To my knowledge most games that you have to farm have to option to farm against the computer. To my knowledge this is the only game that keeps me in the dark waiting so long to play a game. Other games that keep you waiting usually allow you to do other things while you wait or put you in the game launch screen instantly and wait for the other players to join. So this is goodbye for me.

Sorry to see you go, but I have little trouble finding a match and I find my own things to do on the occasions when I have to wait due to less than optimal times of day, such as the middle of a workday (Monday, in this case). Maybe if you found a unit to play with, you would have "better" downtime? I personally use the time to talk to my family and watch what they are watching on tv, talking about, etc.

#69 Daishi8

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

So, in last 5 days my elo dropped from 1.9 to 1.1, thanks to matchmaker - play to lose.

#70 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostDaishi8, on 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

So, in last 5 days my elo dropped from 1.9 to 1.1, thanks to matchmaker - play to lose.

Proof?...

#71 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostDaishi8, on 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

That's not your Elo.

#72 Daishi8

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostHeffay, on 21 July 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

That's not your Elo.

ELO = WIN/LOSE %?

View PostCimarb, on 21 July 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Proof?...

Its enough to say, that playing 3/4h daily and cant get double xp bonus from a win.

Edited by Daishi8, 21 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#73 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostDaishi8, on 21 July 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

ELO = WIN/LOSE %?

Its enough to say, that playing 3/4h daily and cant get double xp bonus from a win.

No, Elo is not your win/loss ratio. Your Elo is not visible, nor do we know how to determine it from the info that IS visible.

#74 Daishi8

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

View PostCimarb, on 21 July 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

No, Elo is not your win/loss ratio. Your Elo is not visible, nor do we know how to determine it from the info that IS visible.

Got it, thanks. But still, getting 90% of time a weak team.

#75 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

View PostDaishi8, on 22 July 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Got it, thanks. But still, getting 90% of time a weak team.

I totally understand, but have argued it into the ground already...

#76 Yokomohoyo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostCimarb, on 21 July 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Sorry to see you go, but I have little trouble finding a match and I find my own things to do on the occasions when I have to wait due to less than optimal times of day, such as the middle of a workday (Monday, in this case). Maybe if you found a unit to play with, you would have "better" downtime? I personally use the time to talk to my family and watch what they are watching on tv, talking about, etc.

Yes, that was my problem I could only play during the day since I usually have classes at night plus my lag at night is terrible. I used to watch the news on the web, videos on YouTube, read forums, etc. while waiting for game to come on but unfortunately I would constantly forget about the game and when I came back to the game a few of my teammates were already dead or I was already dead. The Tourmaline Desert map is certain death for AFKs. The MatchMaker problem is unique to MWO because other PvP games have an A.I. you can play against to farm, some of these games include League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc. In a lot of FPS you don’t have to farm unlike MWO but in those that you have to farm the farming is nonstop like PlanetSide 2 and unlike MWO. Another upcoming giant robot (mech) game called Dark Horizons: Mechanized Corps deemed that A.I. was important and designed it in 3 days so you could play against it. It may be a very bad A.I. but the option is there and can be improved. The problem with MWO’s MatchMaker is so bad that when the Clans came out they gave a free mech bay and 1 day of premium time which I didn’t use a single minute, just wasted my time waiting for a game and the premium time expired which it shouldn’t because it should be 24 hours of actual premium time play.

Edited by Yokomohoyo, 22 July 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#77 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostYokomohoyo, on 22 July 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Yes, that was my problem I could only play during the day since I usually have classes at night plus my lag at night is terrible. I used to watch the news on the web, videos on YouTube, read forums, etc. while waiting for game to come on but unfortunately I would constantly forget about the game and when I came back to the game a few of my teammates were already dead or I was already dead. The Tourmaline Desert map is certain death for AFKs. The MatchMaker problem is unique to MWO because other PvP games have an A.I. you can play against to farm, some of these games include League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc. In a lot of FPS you don’t have to farm unlike MWO but in those that you have to farm the farming is nonstop like PlanetSide 2 and unlike MWO. Another upcoming giant robot (mech) game called Dark Horizons: Mechanized Corps deemed that A.I. was important and designed it in 3 days so you could play against it. It may be a very bad A.I. but the option is there and can be improved. The problem with MWO’s MatchMaker is so bad that when the Clans came out they gave a free mech bay and 1 day of premium time which I didn’t use a single minute, just wasted my time waiting for a game and the premium time expired which it shouldn’t because it should be 24 hours of actual premium time play.

Sounds to me like this just is not the game for you. I just leave my headphones on while I do other things. As soon as I hear the background music pause, or worst case Betty nagging my startup routine, I jump back on the game. Regardless, I hope you find more enjoyment in those other games - I think this one is tons of fun and just getting better every patch lately.

#78 ManusDei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have noticed that with the new matchmaker system specifically when I'm playing in the solo queue dropping alone.... I am consistently putting more damage than 10 of 12 players on my team and losing the match.

At the same time, I am killing more than anyone else on the team. While I am losing almost 99% of all my solo queue matches, I am killing more. That means my K/D is still going up and up no matter what matchmaker throws at me. But losing every match and being one of the top damage every match is annoying. It's like the matchmaker is gunning for you no matter what your elo is whatever that mysterious undocumented number is. ELO can't keep a good player down but it sure would be nice to be truly matched up with pilots in a similar elo bracket.

Easily reproduced every match,
1) drop alone into solo queue
2) At the end of every match observe your damage compared to your teammates and notice how your damage is higher than 10 out of 12 players on the team. That means only 2 to 3 players each match on my team have high damage while the rest of the team has less than 200 damage. At the same time the enemy team has at least 4 to 5 players with high damage.

Your probably confused by what I'm saying here so I'll explain the big picture. Matchmaker is gunning for you most of the time matching you up with pilots in a lower ELO in an attempt to lower your K/D. But it doesn't work, its doing just the opposite.

I raised my K/D from 1.84 to 2.07 in less than3 weeks. What do you think of that PGI?
I was stuck at 1.84 K/D for a very long time...until the clan mechs came out it shot through the roof. For the egotistical types I'm not bragging I'm merely stating my experience with matchmaker. I'm certainly not the highest K/D pilot out there heck I'm probably at the bottom of the ladder.

#79 hero2zero

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

My group was consisting of myself and "nullptr" only, you would think there would be two lights on the opposite team...MM had other thoughts ;)

Posted Image

#80 hero2zero

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

And another one for the fun...where are my assaults?

Posted Image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook