PC rig controls

11 replies to this topic

#1 Chinook

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Will it be easier to setup a foot-peddles, throttle, joystick setup in MWO then in the previous mechwarrior games? A la the TESLA pods manufactured by Virtual World.

Edited by Chinook, 17 November 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#2 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

I sure hope so. Support for physical gauges a la flight sims is probably asking a bit much, but joystick and throttle support better be in there. Proper multi-monitor support too, please. :)

EDIT: When MW2 came out I remember we used to head down to a local Internet Cafe that had those old-skool big VR helmets with built-in displays and play with those on. Was a ***** to get them set up, but they worked great with the "glance" controls. A bit vomit-inducing if you played for more than about 30 minutes straight, but otherwise great. Had to be a good touch typist though, since you couldn't see the keyboard and they didn't have any flight controllers.

Edited by Jack Deth, 18 November 2011 - 02:23 AM.

#3 Chinook

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I am just curious because I am lucky enough to live near some of the TESLA pods so I normally go play battletech Firestorm on them. I recently tried to go back and play MW4 mercs and I got my butt handed to me since I am no longer used to just a joystick. :) Good thing Mech Commander just needs a mouse and keyboard so I can play that at home.

#4 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

I would be willing to bet it will be quite easier to run a joystick/throttle/pedals in this game than it is to set them up in a Tesla II pod, given that the Tesla II pods have proprietary hardware to run those and the MFDs and a ton of buttons. :)

#5 Chinook

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Let me rephrase having someone owning TESLA II pods near me and getting to play in them has spoiled me. But I hope you are right Gravitas, getting footpeddles/joystick/trottle to work for the pc games was a nightmare for me before. But after having played with them I can't imagine going back to just a joystick + keyboard.

#6 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

View PostChinook, on 18 November 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

I am just curious because I am lucky enough to live near some of the TESLA pods so I normally go play battletech Firestorm on them. I recently tried to go back and play MW4 mercs and I got my butt handed to me since I am no longer used to just a joystick. :) Good thing Mech Commander just needs a mouse and keyboard so I can play that at home.

I have a Saitek Stick and throttle, with rudder control "not peddles yet" and that works just fine in MW4 and was a breeze to set up. matter of fact the only config I did was what button I wanted to do what with everything else worked by default.

#7 Chinook

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostHardDrive, on 18 November 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

I have a Saitek Stick and throttle, with rudder control "not peddles yet" and that works just fine in MW4 and was a breeze to set up. matter of fact the only config I did was what button I wanted to do what with everything else worked by default.

Really? Wow. I will have to look into that one in particular. Maybe a Christmas present from a few people or something :)
I can't remember which brands I tried before as it was many years ago.

#8 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

yeah the one I currently have is a OLD set up its the Saitek X36F stick and X35 Throttle on a windows XP system. I just ordered the X45 since its USB and actually has windows 7drivers, not to mention people are selling them cheap on ebay. :) drivers once it comes in I'll set it up and let you know how that one works.

Edited by HardDrive, 18 November 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#9 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Yeah Chinook, if they do things right here with MWO, just about any of the modern joy/throttle setups that are USB connected should do fine. And most, that I'm familiar with, come with software to let you customize button presses as well, as an additional layer on top of whatever game you're running.

I've got an old Saitek x45 that is still working just fine whenever I plug it in, through Windows XP/2000, to Vista, to Win 7. Its usb and works great.

Edited by Gravitas, 18 November 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#10 Chinook

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Alright thanks a bunch guys. Guess I have some wishlist items now. I have run the customization for button presses before with mice. I use a Razer Lachesis, although their setup utility is meh.

#11 DCleric

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

I've managed to set up and play a full HOTAS with pedals set up from CH products from MW2 through MW4 and never had any trouble. Setup is usually pretty easy and they are saying this will support joysticks,

#12 Rapax

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDon't know, but I can smell cookies

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

Can anyone comment on the use of dedicated gamepads? Such as the Logitech G13 Gameboard? I've always used the keyboard and quite a simplistic joystick, but for MWO it may be worth investing in a better setup. I've been looking around recently and the G13 has caught my eye. Has anyone used it in MW games?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users