Mechwarrior: Living Legends Is Not Dead...

793 replies to this topic

#521 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

10,000 simultaneous players for Titanfall on the weekend means at least over a hundred thousand active players on that server alone that may login once a day. That is decent. We get peaks of 13k to 14K in World of Warships in the North American server, not counting the other regional servers.

MWO doesn't show player numbers concurrent as other games do, because simply, they are embarrassed to show it. In my other F2P games, I never encounter the same players in my next games at all, but in MWO I get to see repeat players, even game after game, even days later. Coupled with the long wait times for the public games, not a good indication of a large healthy player base.

Frankly I don't like the way MWO mechs move. I have played every Mechwarrior game since the Crescent Hawks Inception and Mechwarrior 1, and MWO has worst movement than MW3 and MW4. While a few mechs move okay, like the Atlas, others like the Stalker are just plain laughable.

As for CS:GO it is an F2P game, which isn't charted by VGChartz. That doesn't deny that TENs of MILLIONs of CoD and Battlefield copies are sold in consoles over the years. In fact the bulk of CoD and Battlefield revenue is in consoles.

10 million copies sold as of October 2015, means they didn't include holiday figures. The fact that a sequel is being produced, multiplatform versions are being worked on, and you have a collaborator with one of the biggest F2P and MMO publishers in the world, Nexon, means Titanfall is more than alive and well, but its potential future is brighter than MWO.

As for MWO saying it lasts, just because it lasted all this time, does not mean it lasts forever. The game, even without being a hit, is already suffering from old age issues such as power creep and overcomplexity, and games on their twilight stage cycles don't grow but face attrition. Steam may have bought MWO a new jumpstart, but its the last card the game can play, and from here on, its nothing more than a deepening stage of attrition.

#522 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 January 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

I think videos of games would be a bit more engaging than just cinematic picture.

That PPC brought back some flashbacks from the older MW games. XD

Yea I will probably be putting more vids of the chaos march matches along with some pretty pictures as highlights.

#523 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:35 AM

Chaos March battle between the Wolverines Rebirth + mercenaries vs the RDL clan.

#524 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:41 AM

View PostAnjian, on 08 January 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

As for CS:GO it is an F2P game, which isn't charted by VGChartz. That doesn't deny that TENs of MILLIONs of CoD and Battlefield copies are sold in consoles over the years. In fact the bulk of CoD and Battlefield revenue is in consoles.

1- CS:GO is 14.99, I'm not sure what you define as F2P, but I define it as costing money.

2- While yes, those copies have sold on console, the actual competitive scene is on the PC, not consoles.

#525 DeimosEvotec

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Could you please stop with this irrelevant discussion IraqiWalker and Anjian!
If you want to discuss MWLL, fine but this is no place to discuss the success of titanfall compared to MWO or anything else, you can do that elsewhere!

Anyway:

View PostPlizzken, on 24 December 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

MW:LL is dead - the brothers , who created and programmed most of MW:LL work for Star Citizen now. "Criminal" stated he would love to create another Battletech Game with Star Citizen Engine.

Source last Reverse the Verse Episode of 2015.

http://www.twitch.tv...nity/v/30598087

Heavy Gear Assault is imho the next chance for a living and not stale Robot Shooter.

http://forums.heavyg...llion-financing

Keep your FIngers crossed the guys from Mektek now known as Stompy Robot Productions do a great job. I Phave alpha access and so far looks good. AI is there - no Pin Point Damage Problem and the Gears feel like real mechs - not like in MWO.

I know we have a very, very small player base but I wouldn't call it dead, YET. The biggest problem is that you hardly get any match going during the week and it's only the weekends were you get good games with 10 or more players.
It's cool that Criminal wants to make a BT game but sometime™ can mean anything from next year to next decade to whenever the neverfinished game Star Citizen is finished. At least when he starts working on it he'll have the perfect engine for it but still when is the question.

View PostAnjian, on 27 December 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Never felt that mechs in MWO had an immersive mech feel to them, They feel too light and agile, lack mechanical intricacies and that certain sense of awkwardness that machines make.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 31 December 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

We'll agree to disagree, because Chromehounds definitely does NOT feel like mechs to me. The Warthunder ones were fun, but still meh. Only Battlefield 2142 kinda does it.

I think what you seem to want, is more cockpit shake when moving.

This whole "feels" topic is a lot of preference but you can put it on a scale of pacing:
MWLL(slowest) <-> MWO(more agile) <-> Gears(from the looks, pretty much human movement) <-> Hawken(some boosting) <-> Armoured Core(lot's of boosting)
Titanfall would probably also land in the middle. In short:
more tank-like <-> more human-like <-> more gundam-like
And IraqiWalker you should look for a hovering weaponsplatform simulator, it seems like something you would like. But MWO is close since it looks like their cockpit view is already disconnected from the actual walking animation for less shake.

View PostHexenhammer, on 31 December 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Here is my experience with MechWarrior: Living Legends.

Aerospace Fighters
WTF am I doing?
I'm a dead mech.
WTF am I doing?
Aerospace Fighters
WTF am I doing?
Aerospace Fighters
I'm a dead mech.
Aerospace Fighters
Aerospace Fighters
Aerospace Fighters

It took one day of playing MW:LL To see first hand how overwhelmingly superior air cover is over a mech. Mechs are not designed to shoot at fast moving overhead things like planes and as such they are sitting ducks for the most average of pilots.

Hell thats why they designed the Rifleman. Its a mech specifically designed to take out aircraft. So that is why I am so anti aerospace in MWO. I come here to play mechs. Not areotech. If I wanted that, I'd played MWLL.

That's also a problem that is connected to the low playercount. To deny one aircraft you either need a dedicated ground to air asset at every position you want to defend(which is not viable with low playercounts as ground to air are less effective against other ground assets) or an aircraft of your own but dogfights have their own problems, they can end in the planes chasing each others tails like two dogs without end. With the exception of some difficult maneuvers like midair stalling or trying to make the other pilot crash by using the terrain but both don't guarantee an end of the chase. The only thing that can is more aircraft or ground to air assets providing cover. And with low playercount you can't invest that much without becoming to weak to the enemy ground forces.
So the only real solution for aircraft in low population matches is a gentlemans agreement to not use them until the playernumbers are reasonable high, which, if at all, is only the case at peaktimes.

#526 Sudibor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 152 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 09 January 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Chaos March battle between the Wolverines Rebirth + mercenaries vs the RDL clan.

You are wrong.
In the video, there is no fighter RDL. This match was attended by
=KoS= (Knights of the Inner Sphere), Clan Wolverines Rebirth (W-R), Smoke Jaguar (SJ) + Singles - mercenaries VS. Eridani Light Horse (ELH).

#527 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

Another chaos march battle.

#528 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Close quarters battle of Breadbasket a rather small intense action map.

#529 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Pick of the day. Posted Image Some one just went pop.

Also today is Chaos march if any one is interested to come and play with us.

mwll.mwmaster.com = Teamspeak.

#530 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Here is a collection of pictures from the battle of procyon Where IS and clans forces clashed against one another.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://imgur.com/a/llpK5
rest of the images

#531 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

seeing all those videos makes me realize, what an awesome job PGI did on the mech design...

#532 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:39 AM

Interesting fact its the same guy who did work for both games , one opted for the classic looks PGI went for a more modernized look.

#533 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Pic of the day. Posted Image A Clan Visigoth unloading a barrage of missiles on some poor sod down below.

#534 DeimosEvotec

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostNT Hackman, on 23 January 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Lately I can't connect to servers in LL. It just stays connecting forever. Any fix for this?

That's just the replacement for gamespy acting up.
Check out our forum for solutions.
In short manualy connect to the server ips or use bruno's tool until qtracker has it's **** back together.

Edited by DeimosEvotec, 23 January 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#535 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

Pic of the day. Posted Image A type of Maddog armed with dual Gauss striding across the desert landscape of Canyon Pro

#536 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:27 AM

Pic of the day. Posted Image A Osiris performing a perfect poptart PPC blast.

#537 Zypher A Steampunk

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

Hallo, Zyph here, I just wanted to let you all know I will be joining the fray. Used to play years ago but got busy... Now I don't need to be as busy so I am back.

Anyway. I have 'almost' read every post in this thread and I have one thing to say about all the people trying to compare this to MWO and visa verse.

This is a simulator.

MWO is an arcade game.

What could I possibly mean by that? Well lets make a comparison list:
  • The fact that allot of MWLL games last 3-4 times longer than most any MWO game.
  • MWLL has it's own economy for every individual game, you can't just 'buy' the best mech and always have it, meaning good replay value.
  • In LL you can escape combat in many *MANY* different ways, including getting the hell out of your mech that's about to explode and walking your slightly singed rear back to base to get another one. On top of that, if you do manage to limp away with a mostly intact mech, you can get it repaired, and rearmed.
  • If you picked a certain mech and that happens to be a bad decision for the current situation well guess what. You can get out of it (In game) sell it, and buy something more fitting.
  • Aircraft... nothing more needs said on that point.
  • Tanks and hovercraft (because you cant really be super stealthy when you tower above all the trees.) Yes tanks and hovers are amazing for ambushing.
  • Did I mention the active/passive radars, and all the other nifty gadgets that actually serve a non redundant purpose? Allowing stealth, traps, 'proper' scouting, ruses, and just about any other tactic you can convince your team to preform.
  • A competent team. Simply because this game is allot more complicated that MWO that gives it a learning curve which scares off the casual players. (That plus your stuck with you team for the really long epic matches meaning everyone has plenty of time to get there crap together and formulate a plan other than 'lets all fan towards the opposite side of the map and as soon as you see someone begin gang banging.
  • Actually free to play. You couldn't shoot money at this game for an advantage even if you wanted to.
In MWO
  • You pick your mech, then till death do you part.
  • Games far too short to make any real power plays or plans other than, 'get into formation and head thata way.' (Great for the casual player looking to waist 15 mins to a half hour.)
  • You cant get out of your mech, and if you happened to have brought your skirmisher to a sniper fight then you can either hide and hope your team does well enough that you can help them clean up when the enemy line breaks or you can get gunned down while only barely getting into minimum range for your own weapons. (No wait, you can't really hide to well since as soon as one enemy see's you they ALL do.) That also makes stealth a no go. (But casual players don't want to mess with ambushing or stealth anyway, they just want to blow sht up.) And don't tell me you can turn off your engine to 'hide'. The only thing you will achieve by killing your engine is dying... rather quickly.
  • It's is a game clearly focused on making revenue for a company rather than providing entertainment. This is true goal of all original 'arcade' games though, and even truer still about most games claiming to be 'free to play'. F2P literally translates to, "if you pay us we will give you wins" most cases these days, and this is clearly true for MWO.
In the end, setting graphics aside (though they too are also totally different styles.) Comparing the two, just game-play wise, is like trying to compare Half Life 2 Deathmatch to Arma with a bit of Dota thrown in.(The whole living economy per match thing really really reminds me of MOBAS.)

One is clearly meant to be simplistic and fast paced.. Guns a blazing,

While the other is a slower more thought out game where tactics can win over firepower every time.

The question is, Do you play Chess? Or Checkers?

Wellll. whatever your answer it doesn't matter squat.
Because chess is not better than checkers and checkers is not better than chess. They can't be compared like that because they are totally separate deals. You guys (on both sides) are all silly for even trying.

Edited by Zypher A Steampunk, 01 February 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#538 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostZypher A Steampunk, on 01 February 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

• F2P literally translates to, "if you pay us we will give you wins" most cases these days, and this is clearly true for MWO.

That's ridiculous. MWO steers well clear of the pay to win problem. MWO is exactly as free to play as MW:LL.

#539 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

Zypher, feel free to do whatever you want. More power to you, but could you keep your posts within the realm of what actually happens (reality)?

#540 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

Its better to look at MWO as its own type of mech game and MWLL its a different game of its own. They offer different things for different people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users