Just Started Today

18 replies to this topic

#1 T o o m b s

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hi guys, my name is T o o m b s.

I am from Russia and just started playing Mechwarrior again. PGI has done an extremely wonderful job with this game! So I thank them for their good work!

I played Mechwarrior 2 campaign back in 1999 and it has been years since I have played. Can anybody give me tips for good mechs, good strategies, and etc.? I thank you for your help.

Nostrovia. o7

Edited by T o o m b s, 09 June 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Here's a list of player-run guides http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3277480 which can cover a lot of the basics

Bookmark Smurfy for all your information reference needs, as well as an online freeform mechlab tool.

Don't try to be a hero. Stick to your team, move where they move shoot who they shoot, especially until you can get your own personal, fully-upgraded mech.

Try all the trial mechs, evaluate them for speed & loadout; what speed:armor do you prefer? Which weapons do you enjoy or are good at? Lights tend to go fast, Assaults are armoured and slow, and many mechs form a gradual scale in between.

You get a big fat bonus for each of your first 25 matches(Cadet bonus). Do not spend it recklessly, save your C-bills until you know what mech you want to invest in.

That'll get you off to a good start, feel free to ask lots of questions if there is anything you're curious about!

Edited by Redshift2k5, 09 June 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#3 T o o m b s

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hi Redshift2k5 and thank you very much for your help!

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

If you tried all the Trial mechs, and were still not sure which mech you want - I would suggest one of the Medium Class.

Specifically either the Hunchback or Centurion - as those Chassis are (while not being the "strongest") flexible and potent enough to let you contribute heavily to the team, while still being "weak"* enough for you to need to learn certain skills.

*By weak I mean such things as needing to twist your torso away with the Hunchback to protect that massive cannon.

Both chassis are also rather flexible, and can carry a variety of loadouts.

With the Centurion focusing more on carrying a few of every weapon (the CN9-D for example can carry 2 ballistics, 2 energy, and 2 Missile weapons)
And the Hunchback focusing more on boating one kind of weapon (with the HBK-4G carrying up to 3 Ballistic and 3 Energy, but no missiles) with energy backup for all variants.

#5 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Welcome to the game T o o m b s! glad to have you. The basics are easy to learn, redshift already has that covered, and shar wolf gave some pretty good advice for picking a 'mech.

First off, this game has a STEEP learning curve. It took me 14 matches or so before I got a kill. That may or may not be your experience, but I will say the climb is steep, but the view from the top is pretty great. Keep at it.

Second, coming soon (the 17th) an entirely new system of 'mechs and weapons are being released onto the server (the clans you'll be familiar with from MW2). These 'mechs have different systems, engines and armor values and may seriously throw a wrench in the game balance. Hopefully there will be some aggressive tuning to bring everything into line.

Finally, I know it's already been said, but MW:O is a team game, and I can promise you'll die a terrible pathetic death if you go try to be the hero. It doesn't work that way. Find a big, friendly assault 'mech that looks like he knows what he's doing - follow him and shoot what he shoots until you get the hang of it. Sorry, no combat tutorial, just trial by fire.

if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
see you on the battlefield. o/

#6 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostPhobic Wraith, on 09 June 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Finally, I know it's already been said, but MW:O is a team game

Thank you for reminding me of that.

It very much is, and all things being equal - the team that coordinates better wins.

I have seen premade groups torn to shreds (from both ends :() because the other side worked together more.

#7 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Good Luck. Have Fun. Stay away from the Forums unless checking out updates from patches or Command Chair Posts. You'll only find misery and despair. Looking Forward to meeting you on the battlefield

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 09 June 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Stay away from the Forums unless checking out updates from patches or Command Chair Posts.

Fan Art is awesome.

Battletech Discussion is frequently fun

Off topics not too bad

New players and Guides tend to (Thanks Dom) be useful.

General Discussion is definitely a minefield though.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 09 June 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#9 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostT o o m b s, on 09 June 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi guys, my name is T o o m b s.

I am from Russia and just started playing Mechwarrior again. PGI has done an extremely wonderful job with this game! So I thank them for their good work!

I played Mechwarrior 2 campaign back in 1999 and it has been years since I have played. Can anybody give me tips for good mechs, good strategies, and etc.? I thank you for your help.

Nostrovia. o7

Welcome to the game. Be aware, there is a steep learning curve to it (you won't do well at first)

But feel free to send me a friend request in-game and I'll drop with you whenever I can. (I'm fairly new too....still have A LOT to learn)

#10 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

its To. For off Topic best ones are the Last Post Wins, Make Up a Fun Fact, Meme Thread, ad Blame someone above you.
General Discussion is more than a minefield. Its like World War II in there.

Also if you have any questions about Game Mechanics and weapons like howthey work today Ask Konivig

Edited by Domoneky, 09 June 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 09 June 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

General Discussion is more than a minefield. Its like Warhammer 40k in there.

Fixed that for you :(

Back on topic though - I may or may not be on for the next day or two - but will probably be on quite a bit this week.

Most of the people who live in the building are going to be out of town - meaning I won't be having much competition for the single internet plug the building has. ;) (and long story short - the building owner is somewhat justifiedly paranoid about using wireless/multiple plug routers)

In other words - feel free to send me an in game friend invite as well - having someone semi-competent does wonders for the first several matches (I am told)

#12 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Or someone who knows what he's doing :ph34r:

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Gotta be careful with that though - they know too much and you are likely to be in over your head. :ph34r:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 09 June 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#14 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

That's one is a Too

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Dagnabbit - and I have been re-reading the old texbooks as well!

One of these days I will get them right. :ph34r:

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Updated thought - the Trail Stalker and Hunchback have an issue that is not overly well documented.

Fan name - Ghost Heat. (GH in the forums)

The more of certain weapons you fire at once, the more heat each one generates.
At it only gets worse the more you fire at once.
Example - for no penalties you are limited at 6 medium lasers - the Hunchback (C) carries 9(!) Medium Lasers.

Similar issues with the Trial Stalker - you are limited to 2 LRM15 - the (C) carries 4.

Chain Firing or getting clever with your weapon groups - can help with that.
To edit weapon groups you use (by default) the arrow keys and the right Ctrl button. (if I remember right)
To change a weapon group to chain-fire highlight it and hit Backspace.

Edit:
It gets more frustrating (for most) since it combos into other weapons as well.

IE: LRM10 15 and 20 share the penalty - and firing 2 LRM10 and 1 LRM20 gets treated like firing 3 LRM20 for the penalty.
However - LRM5 are not penalized at all - letting you fire 2LRM5 1 LRM20 at no penalty at all.

Smurfy - that amazingly helpful site (seriously) has a chart
Note: Medium Lasers are penalized, but Medium Pulse Lasers are not -as well as several other interesting combos.
Noted: the "Linked Penalties" groups count as the same weapon for the penalty (see the LRM10/20 combo above)
"Stand Alone Penalties" are just that - they are penalized for firing many of that weapon - but not for mixing with others.

The cooldown for GH is 0.5 seconds - wait a half second (the time between chainfiring shots interestingly enough) and there is no penalty.
So with that hunchback you could fire 6 of the lasers, then half a second later the other 3.
With the Stalker you have to be careful though - as that half second starts after the weapon gets done firing, and the Stalker's missiles have another issue preventing them from all firing at once - so you need to wait till one wave is done before firing again.

(sorry if this is confusing - not something I found hard, so it gets harder to explain it well :ph34r: )

Edited by Shar Wolf, 09 June 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#17 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

quick summary:

1) ppcs are nerfed. ghost heat after 2 ppcs
2) gauss requires charge-up. and it loses it's charge after 1-2seconds
3) meta is ac5/ppc
4) jump jets shake alot, especially on mechs like the highlander 733c
5) the victor DS maybe the "best" all-around assault atm
6) clan mechs arrive june 17th
7) community warfare is coming soon
8) come play with us CSJ http://smokejaguars.com

#18 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Well come to Mechwarrior. Other people have covered a lot of helpful subjects and I can't add any much to em.

The one thing I can say, if you approach each match looking to improve your performance more so then winning, it may help overcome any despair brought on by a long losing streak.

#19 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Glad you are enjoying the game. Redshift pretty much summed it up, otherwise yeah steep learning curve, some weird mechanics to deal with as pointed out above and take the forums with a pinch of salt.. ...they can get a bit bitter.

Nice to have a thread where everyone has been very welcoming for you! Hope you continue to enjoy the game and that we may one day cross paths! :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users