1 reply to this topic

#1 Signum

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLiverpool UK

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

One of biggest gripes with the graphics of MW4 was the way damage was portrayed. Basically the more a mech model was hit the umm 'blacker' it became. It was a huge step backward compared to MW3, and as I recall MW3: Pirates moon had visible damage to models, showing exposed chassis and components, even if it was just a skin.

I'm not suggestion for a moment that MWO is going to be on a par with MW4, but with the announcement that MWO is going to be using the CryEngine 3 I think we can begin to talk about the limitations of what we're likely to see.

Check out the concept art picture on the background of this web site. The Hunchback has lost an arm, it's a molten stump where it used to be. There are holes punched in it's torso. The Jenner is on fire. That's the kind of battle damage I want to see! Are we going to see scorch marks after laser hits? Are we going to see sparking components and electrical systems?

Visual feedback on Mech damage is surely part of the Information Warfare pillar the devs have been talking about, so I think it's important that we explore what's going to be possible in a game environment considering the new information regarding the engine tech. But I'm guessing programming deformable in-game models based on where you hit them would involve an incredible amount of development work.

What do you guys think?

#2 Webclaw

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Waikato, New Zealand

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hits can be made actually quite simply by using a bump map applied onto the model, where it is hit, of the Mech taking the damage or if they want to go for ultra detail, a displacement map. It's not overly complicated nowadays however I do not know if this has been done before in a game engine.

And yes I do think this is a good idea to include real time damage on Mech model.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users