46 replies to this topic

#41 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

For what it's worth, I used GXP to fully master the DW on the first PTS. The mech's agility, while noticeably better, still sucks to be honest. As I said earlier, the 53.5 kph top speed is the real killer for me. If your lance is spawned far away from the rest of your team on a large map and you're screwing around configuring controls or something, you will almost certainly find yourself all alone. And in MWO, bad things happen to lone Assaults.

I think Banky might be on to something here with the balanced loadout idea. I admit I've only tried to Min/Max my builds (as I tend to do with IS mechs).

Edited by NRP, 15 June 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#42 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

View Post1453 R, on 10 June 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Warhawk, full stop.

The Dire Wolf has an absolutely stupid amount of pod space available to it – and everyone knows it. The thing is slow as a drunken mountain and just about as maneuverable, and I guarantee it’ll be Priority Target #2, right behind the Timber Wolves. And/or any gold ‘Mechs on the field.

The Warhawk, on the other hand, kicks it up a twitch over 70kph after Tweak, which works well enough to get it into the fight before the fight’s over. It loses fifteen, twenty tons of pod space to the Dire Wolf, but considering that the Dire Wolf has 50.5 tons of that crap, the loss is less significant than one would think. You can load plenty of firepower on the Warhawk, and what’s more the Warhawk can actually put it to proper use.

‘Course, I’m a light/medium junky who’s jonesing for his Stormcrows and will be grabbing Fire Moths the minute they actually come available, so take that as you will.

Those Stormcrows are really something huh? Had so much fun in those during Friday's test. Like you I'm more of a mobility type of pilot and a brawler at heart. Really looking forward to putting the Stormy through it's paces and the Summoner as well. Good stuff =)

#43 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostNRP, on 15 June 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

For what it's worth, I used GXP to fully master the DW on the first PTS. The mech's agility, while noticeably better, still sucks to be honest. As I said earlier, the 53.5 kph top speed is the real killer for me. If your lance is spawned far away from the rest of your team on a large map and you're screwing around configuring controls or something, you will almost certainly find yourself all alone. And in MWO, bad things happen to lone Assaults.

I think Banky might be on to something here with the balanced loadout idea. I admit I've only tried to Min/Max my builds (as I tend to do with IS mechs).

So far, I'm not running what I thought I would on the DW... But 2 cERPPCs, 1 Gauss Rifle (side torso), 6cERMLs, and a pair of LRM10's - it just all seems to fit so nicely together. Plenty of room for 20+ heat sinks and plenty of room to cram a level 1 targeting computer in. Slow, ungainly - and if you let it look at you for a full second, you'll be very very sorry :huh:

#44 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I tried both of them.

My choice goes to:
Dire Wolf.

But since I will get both of them I don't care. :huh:

#45 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Warhawk, though my Direwolf is starting to get better. Good enough that I no longer regret getting it. Took some work on builds though.

Edited by TheFuzzyBunny, 15 June 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#46 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I like the Dire Wolf a lot. Spectacular mid-range firepower if you're the one choosing where to fight. If you're not the one choosing where to fight, you're dead. A real thinking man's mech.

#47 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

After playing the PT and seeing the prevalence of Dire Wolves with AC/20 boating, I will probably grab the warhawk. Thanks for the input

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users