79 replies to this topic

#1 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

In my 2 months of MWO, I've never used a PPC. Can't stand that it's useless close range. I tend to play aggressive (a lot of people spectating me call it a lot of other things...), and I'm sure I would forget and shoot it repeatedly up close. Plus, my aim isn't that great, so it's nice being able to "sweep the leg, Jonny!" with lasers. And, I've always been an "against the grain" kinda guy... if everyone is doing something, it's generally a good reason for me NOT to do it. So when I found out about the "meta", I wrote it off. (Although I had already been using ACs of every size already and continued to do so).

But, for the first time, I'm considering them, and I feel like I'm sneaking a look at my dad's stash of Playboys again :(

Someone talk me off the ledge!!

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Give it a shot. You may enjoy it. You can always take them off if you don't.

#3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

No. It's probably the second-best gun in the game. Embrace it. Win.

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Too hot and too slow for my tastes. But I can't deny their effectiveness. Take them for a trial run - who knows?

#5 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

i prefer ERPPC, if you feel dirty try those; they also hit harder

edit: before someone "corrects me" i know the base damage is the same, but at most ranges the falloff is less with the ERPPC translating into more dmg at most ranges, and of course they don't have min range

Edited by Mazzyplz, 10 June 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#6 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 10 June 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

In my 2 months of MWO, I've never used a PPC. Can't stand that it's useless close range. I tend to play aggressive (a lot of people spectating me call it a lot of other things...), and I'm sure I would forget and shoot it repeatedly up close. Plus, my aim isn't that great, so it's nice being able to "sweep the leg, Jonny!" with lasers. And, I've always been an "against the grain" kinda guy... if everyone is doing something, it's generally a good reason for me NOT to do it. So when I found out about the "meta", I wrote it off. (Although I had already been using ACs of every size already and continued to do so).

But, for the first time, I'm considering them, and I feel like I'm sneaking a look at my dad's stash of Playboys again :D

You should just pilot lights. :(

#7 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Try the ERPPC, I like it better than the regular PPC. More versatile than a regular PPC, especially if you're only using one.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

You want to try pulse lasers.... you want to try pulse lasers... you want to try pulse lasers...

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 10 June 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Too hot and too slow for my tastes. But I can't deny their effectiveness. Take them for a trial run - who knows?

Might as well try.

View PostBulletsponge0, on 10 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Not if he likes autocannons. Look, in all seriousness, you can only go so far with ACs without adding PPCs to them. It's the meta because it dominates. You can rage against it, you can say it isn't TT, you can say it's one dimensional. Whatever. At the end of the day, if you want to succeed, ACs (or GRs)+PPCs is the #1 way you do that in anything but a light mech.

Edited by Terciel1976, 10 June 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#10 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

But, for the first time, I'm considering them, and I feel like I'm sneaking a look at my dad's stash of Playboys again :(

Posted Image

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostBilbo, on 10 June 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

Give it a shot. You may enjoy it. You can always take them off if you don't.

Says Lucifer to Eve.

I will honestly say give it a shot. I haven't used a PPC in forever, (I prefer LPLs, and being within 300 meters of enemies), ACs are my bread and butter with some of my non-light mechs. It can be fun, and there's nothing wrong with trying it out.

I will talk you off the edge though. Do not mix AC5s and PPCs, you don't want to do that. Next thing you know, you'll be running AC40 Jagers, and jumpjet poptart DS mechs. When you do that, can you honestly look at yourself in the mirror and recognize who you are?

View PostIrontygr, on 10 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yet you made this post because you got ***** By PPCs.

Not necessarily.

#12 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostIrontygr, on 10 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yet you made this post because you got ***** By PPCs.

Not really, I doubt my ELO is high enough.

View PostKoniving, on 10 June 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

You want to try pulse lasers.... you want to try pulse lasers... you want to try pulse lasers...

Been using LPL on my heavies/assaults and SPL on Mediums for a while :blink:

View PostBulletsponge0, on 10 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

That's another ledge. On another building. Maybe one higher than this one :D

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Don't worry about being cheesy/dirty until you use something like the Shadow Hawk trial. Even then if you're not using the alpha strike button and stealing all the kills then you really aren't being dirty/cheesy Votanin. Give em a try, if you use ACs decently well you will get used to PPCs. Remember however that PPCs are pretty situational and you should probably combine them differently, like adding PPCs with other lasers, adding PPCs with missiles, etc.

Edit: And don't be afraid to mix PPCs with ER PPCs like you would with LLs and LPLs or ER LLs.

Edited by luxebo, 10 June 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#14 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 10 June 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Might as well try.

Not if he likes autocannons. Look, in all seriousness, you can only go so far with ACs without adding PPCs to them. It's the meta because it dominates. You can rage against it, you can say it isn't TT, you can say it's one dimensional. Whatever. At the end of the day, if you want to succeed, ACs (or GRs)+PPCs is the #1 way you do that in anything but a light mech.

Wonder if I could fit a PPC and an AC-5 on my Raven 4X......

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 10 June 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Wonder if I could fit a PPC and an AC-5 on my Raven 4X......

I've seen much worse RVN-4Xs, actually.

Edited by Terciel1976, 10 June 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#16 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Long, long ago, in the days of the dual gauss K2, I drove a raven with 2 AC2's. It was surprisingly ok, despite my decision to replace the engine in it with a narcoleptic shetland pony to make room for more ammo.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 10 June 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

That's another ledge. On another building. Maybe one higher than this one :(

Ledges, cliffs, etc. are overpowered.

#18 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Well...I know what I'm going to try as soon as I get a chance...

#19 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

You should either try PPCs, or run lights with LPLs.

jump jump jump jump jump jump

#20 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Ah just go for it. Nothing wrong with being familiar with all the best weapons and tactics. I don't like jump sniping but I do it every now and again to try and improve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users