Raptor

8 replies to this topic

#1 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi,

I've been looking at Sarna for a while now checking out the stats on the various 'mechs out there.

and came across the Raptor, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raptor that thing is crazy, I know it has no armour to speak of but its fast AND has LRM5's x 3 and 2 x med lasers AND 2 MG arrays that's just short of the arsenal of a Catapult, how can that possibly work on a 25t 'mech??

Does it over heat all the time or is it really that awesome?

-Striker.

Edit I forgot the 2 small lasers!

Edited by Striker1980, 20 June 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#2 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

XL engine, endo steel, no armor

#3 Jost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

It's pretty cool, though the armor is like paper: it protects the mech "against _most_ small arms fire".

I think you're a bit off on its relationship to the catapult's weapons, though: it sports roughly half what the catapult does. (2 LRM 15s, 5 Med Lasers, and don't forget the jump jets).

Personally, I'd scrap the machine guns and small lasers and increase the armor. Which brings you closer to a Cicada.

Still, if you're in love, you're in love... but you'll have to wait three years before the proof-of-concept is introduced.

#4 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

The Raptor Prime is actually oversinked by a fair margin thanks to DHS, so overheating isn't really a problem for it. Do keep in mind that its LRMs and other weapons are very hard to use all at the same time thanks to range issues, so while it's fairly versatile the amount of actual damage it can put out at once isn't that great, and that it's pretty fragile thanks to the XL Engine and paper armour (though that isn't so bad on 25-ton 'Mech).

#5 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Proof of concept design. meaning...House Kurita was trying to build an Omni mech from the ground up.

Unlike the Avatar which they tried to mimic the Vulture, this was a blueprint to chassis design (the first Inner Sphere Omni I think).

After they worked the kinks out, they had a bunch of chassis about...may as well put them to use. Not an Ideal design, but a mech is a mech.

#6 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Couple of good points here.

First, I forgot the Catapult Prime has LRM15's, (Not sure which mech I was thinking of there). Though in fairness the Catapult only has 4 ML's according to sarna.net not 5. and this 'mech still has roughly 50% of its firepower at twice the speed and 40% of it's tonnage. (Also I do note that this is a VERY expensive 'mech. 3,917,000 cbills, ouch).

Second, I missed the date, though I wasn't thinking of it in a MWO context.

And yes I guess jumpjets would be a nice addition but you could live without them in 90% of scenarios with a 118kmp/h top speed.

Still for a 25t 'mech it's pretty powerful, I wouldn't fancy being in an Atlas with a light harasser offering fire support and then running in and dancing you to death with it's short range weapons when it runs out of LRM's.

#7 Wolf Actual

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

The Raptor is considered to be one of the best Inner Sphere OmniMechs in the game. This is remarkable, considering it is also the first I.S. OmniMech. The Draconis Combine started factory producing these in 3052, where they quickly became loved by DCMS pilots and Kurita Battletech players alike.

#8 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

I can see why!

View PostWolf Actual, on 20 June 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

The Raptor is considered to be one of the best Inner Sphere OmniMechs in the game. This is remarkable, considering it is also the first I.S. OmniMech. The Draconis Combine started factory producing these in 3052, where they quickly became loved by DCMS pilots and Kurita Battletech players alike.

#9 Raptor shadowz

Rookie

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Check out the 3085 RPT-3x Raptor II...

Its even meaner :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users