57 replies to this topic

#1 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Has anyone tried to get through to the no MMO for me crowd, those folks who distinctly have come out of the years in total opposition to an MMO? I think, if they saw what's being done here, they might look at things a bit differently.

#2 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

I am kind of getting tired of it for this reason:

Yes the singleplayer in Mechwarrior games was fun but the majority of the game was played online with multiplayer. I fail to see how making the game multiplayer only is bad and evil.

#3 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Besides, they do want to do PvE eventually, it's just that it'll be a later addition.

#4 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Generally it comes down to time commitment when people think of MMOs. I played WoW when it first came out and got many of my friends to play. For 2 straight years we'd all play until one day my buddy and i were virtual fishing just talking about our day then both had the realization we actually hadn't hung out in person for about 2 months.

After that almost all us dropped MMO's completely and started hanging out in real life again. I suppose most anti MMO folks have similar stories.

I say let the haters do their thing. Once it's out and folks start putting up videos about how fun matches are, the ones that like multiplayer will downloaded and try it out for themselves. As for the folks that just like single player only, well them's the breaks.

#5 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

Amusingly, I tried WoW for a month and realized how horribly bad it was compared to the other MMOs I played before...

#6 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 18 November 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Has anyone tried to get through to the no MMO for me crowd, those folks who distinctly have come out of the years in total opposition to an MMO? I think, if they saw what's being done here, they might look at things a bit differently.

seriously Kay?? you would actually want them here? and to put up with the unending BS??

leave them to themselves....and let them fish for trout in streams where the water runs the wrong direction.

#7 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

I don't mean to be an *** (it's just natural) but if people are refusing to play MWO because they aren't getting their way then I don't need/want them playing on-line with me, whining that they can't be offline playing with themselves (don't get dirty, you know what I mean).

Like most of you, I've been waiting since MPBT:3025 for a new MW game to play, if MWO was released as MechWarrior Offline and was single player only, I'd pick it up and play it (granted, without multi-player I probably wouldn't play for long. . . . but I'd still play it).
If people refuse to play MWO, which is free, simply because they aren't getting their way then it's either time to grow up, or the rest of us will move on without them.

#8 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Frankly I'vebeen waiting since MW3 for a new MW game, as I only barely consider MW4 canon due to its limitation on customization.,..

Edited by Melissia, 18 November 2011 - 08:30 AM.

#9 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

View Post}{avoc, on 18 November 2011 - 08:21 AM, said:

I don't mean to be an *** (it's just natural) but if people are refusing to play MWO because they aren't getting their way then I don't need/want them playing on-line with me, whining that they can't be offline playing with themselves (don't get dirty, you know what I mean).

Like most of you, I've been waiting since MPBT:3025 for a new MW game to play, if MWO was released as MechWarrior Offline and was single player only, I'd pick it up and play it (granted, without multi-player I probably wouldn't play for long. . . . but I'd still play it).
If people refuse to play MWO, which is free, simply because they aren't getting their way then it's either time to grow up, or the rest of us will move on without them.

Havoc......said it!

So let em fish !

#10 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

View PostMelissia, on 18 November 2011 - 08:23 AM, said:

Frankly I'vebeen waiting since MW3 sin ec a new MW game, as I only barely consider MW4 canon due to its limitation on customization.,..

None of the games are true "canon", they acknowledged them as "battle simulation footage" if I remember correctly. Same as how the Battletech TV show is propaganda during the civil war to support Adam.

Novels and TRO's are the only true canon.

Edited by cattra kell, 18 November 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#11 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

I also think part of the issue is the adherence to the term MMO in reference to a particular type, the MMORPG. But think of how many games are Massively Multiplayer Online games and are not RPGs.

Heck, just look at Battlefield 3. You 'level up' with points/xp earned and spend points on upgrades to your kits. You have a single player game (that reviews of the game tend to show is nothing more than a 'demo reel' to get you familiar with play so you go online) but the bulk of the action is online. I'd call Diablo II and soon III MMOs. In fact Blizzard will require you to have a constant online connection to pay and your character data will be stored with them. You join online games and while you may be limited in the number of players in a particular game instance, how many people will be online on Battle.net? I'd call it a 'massive' amount.

What about Team Fortress 2? Yeah, pretty much an MMO, and maybe a better comparison to what we might get here with MechWarrior Online as there are distinctly different classes with defined roles, yet a variety of equipment (and hats! :) ) for each class that can help augment its role. Things I'm seeing from Tribes: Ascend are very much in line with that and with what I'm thinking will show up here as well.

As far as the persistent world aspect, and our battles being able to affect the greater universe as a whole... does anyone recall Total Annihilation and the online service that Cavedog ran for that? You could go online and have matches with other people, and they had a persistent world in which your battles would affect how much of space was controlled by ARM vs. CORE forces.

#12 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

View Postcattra kell, on 18 November 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

None of the games are true "canon", they acknowledged them as "battle simulation footage" if I remember correctly. Same as how the Battletech TV show is propaganda during the civil war to support Adam.

Novels and TRO's are the only true canon.

I know, but I still prefer to ignore that MW4 exists. It makes the world a better place. Like ignoring the later Highlander movies.

#13 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

I am unlocking this thread, on the warning that we have to keep this clean guys. I don't want to see "MMO's suck!", "Those guys are stupid!" etc.

Discuss, disagree, but all within reason eh? If you're unsure of what any of this means, check our Codes of Conduct and the Post Ettiquette thread I have pinned.

#14 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

a) MWO isn't an MMO.
b) there is huge variance in people's ideas as to what constitutes an MMO.
c) Multiplayer != MMO.

Anyway, it's a pretty silly argument. You either like getting in a mech and blasting other humans, or you don't. And if you don't know... well that's what's so nice about Free to Play.

Edited by Angelicon, 18 November 2011 - 12:14 PM.

#15 xMarshallx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostAngelicon, on 18 November 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

a) MWO isn't an MMO.
:) there is huge variance in people's ideas as to what constitutes an MMO.
c) Multiplayer != MMO.

Anyway, it's a pretty silly argument. You either like getting in a mech and blasting other humans, or you don't. And if you don't know... well that's what's so nice about Free to Play.

I think you're confusing MMO and MMORPG. This is an MMO. Kesmai (The makers of MPGT:EGA, Solaris, 3025) produced the first MMO (AirWarrior, 1986.) http://en.wikipedia....yer_online_game

#16 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

MWO will be an MMO. That's stated because of its lack of a single player campaign and persistent online I.S. map. Think of it like NBT, but more. But that's alright! MWO is not a MMORPG. We won't have to deal with the more mundane aspects of an RPG.

#17 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 18 November 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

I am unlocking this thread, on the warning that we have to keep this clean guys. I don't want to see "MMO's suck!", "Those guys are stupid!" etc.

Discuss, disagree, but all within reason eh? If you're unsure of what any of this means, check our Codes of Conduct and the Post Ettiquette thread I have pinned.
Thank you, Garth, and Bryan.

And, I wasn't trying to cause any trouble with my question... it's supposed to be a light-hearted discussion. I started it because I have read about quite a few folk who have stated they wouldn't play an MMO, and I would like to include them in the community, anyway, so they can read what's going on, here, and have their minds changed. Despite any misgivings I may have, at present, I still think MWO has the possibility of being something wonderful for a lot of people. Leaving them out is simply not acceptable if we want to have even remotely the appearance of open-mindedness and equality in the community.

However, I still have to say that, because of each and every one of our personalities, there is not a single chance that any topic will not be polarizing within the community, or has the possibility to be such, if it never turns in that direction. Polarization is NOT the problem, disrespect between players and fans is the problem, and none of us HAVE to be that, including me... yeah, that's right, I said I'm guilty too, ain't none of us clean.

So, GAME ON!!!! :)

Edited by Kay Wolf, 18 November 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#18 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I, for one, do not care what basic format this game takes on. I have a deep seated passion for the MW and BT franchise. It would be something of a great folly to not at least try the game at first, being that it is free to try. Anyone who states that they refuse to play the game based on "this or that" is either trying to use their opinion to sway the devs thoughts, or they are downright....blank blankity blank. It will be free to try and will not cost anyone anything to just get your feet wet. No matter WHAT it turns out to be like, I will have a go.

And, I have to say, that initially, I have LOVED what Bryan and the others have had to say. I play lots of games, but when I find the ONE game that I fall in love with, I tend to ignore all others, even for years at a time. I already have that feeling with MWO and I can see myself dumping some ridiculous dockets on this game. If I was going to spend money to simply "buy" any other games next year, I would guess that that money will be going into MWO, and then some. MMO or not.

#19 Sirisian

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, Michigan

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostSeth, on 18 November 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

MWO will be an MMO. That's stated because of its lack of a single player campaign and persistent online I.S. map.

Their persistent map doesn't really make it an MMO for a lot of people. It's just instanced matches and the score count seems to get reflected in a map. At no point are the maps actually persistent. Only the pilots RPG statistics. You're going to have a hard time persuading people that MWO is an MMO without also convincing them that Battlefield, COD etc are also MMOs due to their persistent RPG mechanics. (My signature sums up what an MMO of Mechwarrior would probably be like if you want to see a subjective analysis).

#20 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Since they've also stated there won't be Avatars, (you won't be walking around the hanger, talking to other warriors with chat bubbles), it won't really be MMO in the game.

We are, this forum, whatever "battlenet" chat/buy and sell/ interface in the game will be our MMO. Planetary conquest, etc. Quests from Houses. But probably not an ingame MMO as you might think of it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users