Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

HOLY CRAP! can we make this any bigger? *sarcasm*

#2 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

I agree, it feels a bit large, but I think that's compounded by it's inability to twist effectively, and the need to constantly face forward to release a constant stream of UAC rounds. Yes, it's a lot of firepower, but it also leaves it too exposed to return fire, and it's very vulnerable to anything with greater agility. Maybe once mastered they will be better, but I think some small adjustments to it may be warranted.

#3 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Even if they shrank the hit box, I don't see how you can miss; the beak outlined against the barn body is dead easy to aim at.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

What were you expecting?

#5 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Look at the birdy...wait for the flash.

Actually that is probably a lot of it. Needing to be pointed directly at your target to deal damage so people tend to get fixated and never twist.

#6 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 15 June 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Look at the birdy...wait for the flash.

Actually that is probably a lot of it. Needing to be pointed directly at your target to deal damage so people tend to get fixated and never twist.

Clans don't really have a choice, since all their guns are DPS or DoTs.

gg clothes

#7 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Move over Awesome, we have a new "broadside of a barn" champion :huh:

#8 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 June 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Clans don't really have a choice, since all their guns are DPS or DoTs.

gg clothes

But not being torso locked helps a lot, where you can twist (even if only a little bit) and put your arm weapons on them. Of course that requires not running cannons in the arms.

#9 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 622 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

I elited my Direwolfs and they don't play half bad. I'm use to using slow moving Atlas' so maybe that's your issue? I run a few builds that I found to be fun. 5 PPC DW, 6 AC5 DW, and 2gauss + 2PPC (FLD) build.

The 5 PPC build is awesome, I can either chain fire all five, which is effective or if I'm at 0% heat I can alpha exactly 1 once with a slight overheat. I could probably do 4 but 5 on a target standing still is just too much fun!

6 AC5 DW just wrecks face but you have to face them.

2 Gauss + 2 PPC DW is how I'll elite all of them, it's just brutal nothing like hitting an Atlas leg twice and it losing it completely! LOL

#10 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 15 June 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

And so the Awesome has lost the one remaining thing it was best at.

This is a dark day.

View PostSolCrusher, on 15 June 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

The 5 PPC build is awesome, I can either chain fire all five, which is effective or if I'm at 0% heat I can alpha exactly 1 once with a slight overheat. I could probably do 4 but 5 on a target standing still is just too much fun!

But but all the best players fire only one weapon at once, and your primary concern should be whether a machine is *MEANT* to alpha strike, and by "meant" I mean whether or not I want you to be able to, which is a "no".

Also, almost shutting down is equivalent to DETONATING IN A FIREY EXPLOSION, therefore you should not bat an eye if they nerf your mech so that the latter happens instead of the former!

I learned all of this in another thread, and just thought I'd pass on the wisdom.

Edited by Sephlock, 15 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#11 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 15 June 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I elited my Direwolfs and they don't play half bad. I'm use to using slow moving Atlas' so maybe that's your issue? I run a few builds that I found to be fun. 5 PPC DW, 6 AC5 DW, and 2gauss + 2PPC (FLD) build.

6 AC5 DW just wrecks face but you have to face them.

2 Gauss + 2 PPC DW is how I'll elite all of them, it's just brutal nothing like hitting an Atlas leg twice and it losing it completely! LOL

No I elited it out too and I am also use to running an atlas. The problem is that HUGE CT, the slow rotation and the fact that there is not much rotation when you do try to turn to the side. Every time I died, it was because of a CT. You have to face your target to effectively shoot and when you do, every mech in range focus fires your CT, because blind man facing the opposite direction can still hit it.

#12 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Gauss in torsos + CERPPC in arms...

or 4xUAC10 in torsos + 2xCERLL in arms...

#13 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Considering the ridiculous amount of pain the Daishi can bring, I don't think it's going to be a forgotten mech...

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 15 June 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

No I elited it out too and I am also use to running an atlas. The problem is that HUGE CT, the slow rotation and the fact that there is not much rotation when you do try to turn to the side. Every time I died, it was because of a CT. You have to face your target to effectively shoot and when you do, every mech in range focus fires your CT, because blind man facing the opposite direction can still hit it.

Surely you realized that was how the mech would play before you splurged all your money on it?

#15 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 June 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Surely you realized that was how the mech would play before you splurged all your money on it?

I think everyone assumed it would be big and slow, but many did not know how ACs would shake out, nor how big the CT is. It seems to be a combination of all of the following: the big CT, the slow turn rate, the need to continuously face forward while firing DOT AC bursts, and the tendency of the direwolf to draw concentrated fire as a priority target.

It's early to tell, but a few small tweaks might be welcome. Regardless, it will still be a fun mech to play, and I, for one, won't regret the purchase. Still, it's telling when many matches in the direwolf end with your paperdoll showing a blown out CT with pristine armor everywhere else. Usually when I end a match, if I've done well, but gotten shot often, my mech will show lost armor over most of the paperdoll.

#16 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

i Think it's head is more bigger than it's center i managed to to headshot 3 direwolves so far with uacs and they were not standing still

#17 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

The CT is way too huge, and more importantly, the torso twist and arm movement is atrocious. As of right now this thing beats the Awesome out for worst assault. There need to be some drastic changes. It should at least have the mobility of an Atlas.

#18 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostArchon, on 15 June 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

The CT is way too huge, and more importantly, the torso twist and arm movement is atrocious. As of right now this thing beats the Awesome out for worst assault. There need to be some drastic changes. It should at least have the mobility of an Atlas.

...Direwolf is the worst assault?

You haven't been piloting one, have you.

#19 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostValkyrie Brynhildr, on 15 June 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

...Direwolf is the worst assault?

You haven't been piloting one, have you.

Okay, not the worst, but it's up there and needs help.

#20 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Move over Awesome, we have a new "broadside of a barn" champion ;)

Yeah, we really do. Atleast the Awesome is semi thin from the side.

Direwolf is a proverbial barn from every angle. I never had issues hitting it. But did have issues chewing through its seemingly endless pool of armor...

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users