Track Ir Question

7 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoots

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Does Track IR only control free look view in the cockpit or can it control torso/mouse aiming effectively?

#2 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostLightfoots, on 15 June 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Does Track IR only control free look view in the cockpit
By default, yes.

or can it control torso/mouse aiming
Yes if you set TrackIR to "mouse emulation mode".

... effectively?
No, it would be useless as it is where your head is looking, not where your eyes are looking.

Edited by evilC, 16 June 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#3 Lightfoots

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the answer, wasn't what I was hoping for tho LOL. :D

#4 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

Does Track IR only control free look view in the cockpit or can it control torso/mouse aiming effectively?

If mouse emulation is still able to be used than it actually works perfectly well for reticule aim, especially once you set it up to have a viable aiming profile, with proper gain/curves and no deadzones since that's the last thing you want interrupting your inputs when aiming (could you imagine how horrible it would be if your mouse had deadzones!?). If you have TrackIR5 then the resolution is good enough for aiming, but the 4 or earlier has too low res/refresh. As a positional input device, it's as accurate as you are able to move your head.

Yes it looks where your head is pointed and not your eyes, but your supposed to set the adjustments to allow your eyes to remain comfortably fixed on whatever location of the screen while moving your head, which is the whole point of using TrackIR. ex: my preferred setup converts around +/- 35deg of head yaw input into +/-90 of in-game yaw. As such, at no point are my eyes having difficulty seeing/focusing on anything on screen and I hardly even notice my head being turned. In MWO you just need your eyes to be able to look at the center of the screen while you move your head.

It would take some getting used to using it for aim, but again it's an accurate positional controller and can definitely be used for reticule aim if you want. TrackIR reticule aim is how one of the simpit guys, Propnut, played MWO for the year he was around...

#5 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

I usually use it for ArmA3 and DCS, but the Track IR can be very useful also in MWO (especially to improve your SA).
However, I don't think it could be very comfortable for aiming actually.

#6 Lightfoots

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the new info Loc Nar and Red Devil2, I was considering it but the price and the worry that it won't work well for long periods comfortably is enough tokeep me from trying it i'm afraid. plus spending that kind of money on hardware I likely will only use for this one game seems silly.

I'm just gonna have to go with 2 TM T16000's and Voice attack when I get paid for July.

#7 Alto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I wish they would give the option to unbind the weapon group indicator from the head movement. I don't need an indicator of where my head is pointed, and just find it annoying. I don't know, do you guys agree? Maybe I should put a suggestion up.

#8 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

I kind of like it. It allows you to see when weapons are available to fire, and if using Gauss, you kind of need it visible all the time.

I would, however, like to see the compass strip give an indication of what bearing you are looking at.

I dunno, I have had to stop using TrackIR until they fix the translation / adv zoom bugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users