Emp (Aoe) - Consumables

3 replies to this topic

Poll: EMP (AoE) - Consumables (2 member(s) have cast votes)

should EMP (AoE) Consumables implemented in the way described below?

1. yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. no (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

first of all - I don't know if this is somewhere in battletech lore ... however I do think it would be a logical weapon which fits to the technology (EMP effect of PPCs):

What I would like to see is a consumable like Airstrike which has the following effect:

- AOE effect - 200m radius (+50m for mc version)
- 0 Damage
- deactivates ECMs in a certain area for 15 seconds
- deactivates LRM/S-SRM locks for 15 seconds
- deactivates base defenses for 15 seconds (the turrets shut down and take reduced damage)

the purpose of this weapon is to give players an option to break ECM-Cover for a short time for an coordinated attack - however its a consuamable which only works once and takes a module slot - so it comes at a cost.

Also its completly wastet when the team does not use the timewindow for a bold attack. My hope is that such a weapon would encourage players to use more aggressive strategies and stop the standard "lets form a big noobball, stand in each others way, shoot each other while trying to hit the enemie and wait for the Airstrikes, Artillerystrikes, LRMs, and Poptart fire"- and then go whine in the forum to nerf these things"-tactic.

Edited by MilesTeg1982, 17 June 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#2 Ansgar Odinson

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

It has potential but I think you have it doing way too much. Breaking ECM is one thing but having a single consumable that can break ecm, shut down missile locks and shut down base turrets is too much for one consumable. I would say let it break ECM on anything x number of meters around you (friend or foe). Just as you can hit your team with air/arty, you should be able to hit your own team with emp.

In the long run though NARC already breaks ECM and is already in the game. I don't think we need a consumable to do the job of an already existing weapon.

#3 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Copied from battletech forum post:

See JHS:3072 and its nuke rules. EMP does very litttle to BT ground units (its rolled into the secondary effects of a nuclear attack), and does nothing to BT spacecraft (which need a direct hit to notice a nuke).

Addendum: some very intense, point-blank EMP-ish effects can bother 'Mechs, including an arriving HPG pulse, the EMP mine of TR2750, and (previously) magnetic pulse warheads used to be able to wobble a fusion reactor's magnetic field, though software changes have largely negated MPWs.

Generally, though, 'Mechs and other modern BT warmachines are not greatly bothered by EMP.

#4 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostAnsgar Odinson, on 17 June 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

It has potential but I think you have it doing way too much. Breaking ECM is one thing but having a single consumable that can break ecm, shut down missile locks and shut down base turrets is too much for one consumable. I would say let it break ECM on anything x number of meters around you (friend or foe). Just as you can hit your team with air/arty, you should be able to hit your own team with emp.

In the long run though NARC already breaks ECM and is already in the game. I don't think we need a consumable to do the job of an already existing weapon.

well the idea is to give players the oportunity to for a major attack - espeacially in pugs. At the moment I see many players shy back from LRMs thats why I think it would be a good idea to break LRM-Locks for a certain time as well. Keep in mind - LRMs can still be fired on sight - just as any other weapon except streaks. How about - breaking all existing missle locks and slowing the down the locking for a certain time like it takes twice as long to get a new missle lock in the 15 seconds after the emp hit.

Any yes, it was meant to effect all players on the battlefield - friendly and enemie mechs.

Regarding the NARC - the concept is differnt - to use NARCs - a teammate has to take the risk and shooting the NARCs at enemies - which I actually see very rarely in pugs (got the impression that most players are not willing to take a risk for the team sadly).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users