25 replies to this topic

#1 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

so...according to new lore, <spoiler>

they become the backers of word of blake? or did i miss read the documents in ***** secrets?<spoiler>

that makes no sense considering the reasons they left clan space.

#2 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

That info could have been fabricated by Chandy to get the Clans to help them against the WoB.

Anyway, Interstellar Players 3 should shed some more light on what happened to the Wolverines.

#3 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

drugs....you really should stop using them

#4 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I remember there was atime when the not-named-clan was just a historical foot note and people didn't have this belief that they were hiding under every rock.

Those were good times.

#5 CCO Apocalypse

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOsnabrueck, Lower Saxony, Germany

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

By the way, as far as i Know, the Wolverines are the Minnesota-Tribe.

#6 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

View PostCCO Apocalypse, on 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

By the way, as far as i Know, the Wolverines are the Minnesota-Tribe.

they were, or at least part of wolverine was, but one of the new books put out by catalyst has hinted at the fact they pushed for the clan wars and then the *****, or at least parts of the civillian caste did as the warriors were killed off 45 days(give or take) after joining comstar. but it's couched as "theory" by the snakes.

#7 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostEttibber, on 11 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

that makes no sense considering the reasons they left clan space.

How doesn't it?

Living in hiding out of fear of extermination and a deep hatred of the Clans' 'betrayal' seems about right.

It's probably the cause of the Blakist's war you're missing. The Word didn't set out to nuke or conquer the Inner Sphere- quite the opposite. Believing they were about to be accepted into the New Star League, the Word thought Blake's prophecy had come true: The Golden Age was about to come back to the Inner Sphere and mankind would leave the dark ages of the Succession Wars for good. To thank the Inner Sphere for stepping back from war, the Word set about giving gifts to the Great Houses as a reward. The Invincible Warship they confistacted from the Lyrans, for example, was headed to Tharkad to be returned to the Lyrans. Not fire upon it.

The gift to the Star League itself was the extermination of the Clans. They were created for the sole purpose of wiping the Clans out and removing what the Word thought was the last remaining threat to peace- as the Clans would never accept the a new Star League unless the Clans created it.

When the Lyrans, Dracs and Fedrats pulled out of the Star League, the Word felt betrayed from within- and had a knee jerk reaction. This is why the attack on Tharkad was so sloppy. It was on impulse- the commander of the Invincible that was planning on turning the warship over to the Lyrans instead used it as a hammer to try and force the Lyrans into reforming the League. When the shots upon Tharkad set off a nuclear waste stockpile- making it look like a nuclear weapon had been dropped on the Lyrans... the Master knew "The Captain acted on his own" and "We're sorry" wouldn't suffice.

...so backup protocols if the Inner Sphere ever turned on the Word were activated- essentially punching the Houses in the gut to try and wind them. It was all meant to stall and slow them down: Turning themselves on eachother, decapitating the Houses by supressing their heads of government, destroying their factories etc.

Their hope was that if they crippled the Great Houses enough- drew out the war enough- then the Houses may be willing to sit down and negotiate peace. It sounds odd, but considering the situation, it probably was their best hope.

This is also why the Shadow Divisions didn't appear for a few years after the Blakists' war started: They were preparing to launch against the Clans and had to be recalled to the Inner Sphere.

So yes- the "Blood" being supportive of wiping out the Clans while protecting the Star League? Definately sounds like the Wolverines.

Besides which, if the notes in Blake's Documents are true- it wasn't even their idea. It was all Thomas Marik who became infaturated with them and set up the whole thing as the 'Master'

Edited by Sidney, 16 October 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#8 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

You are so incredibly naieve that it makes my head spin.

The word of blake was a religious cult that was led by people who believed that it was their destiny to rule over the inner sphere via the star league, but before they could get a seat at the table the various powers that be chose to disolve it since (aside from unifying the powers of the inner sphere to deal with the crusader clans) it had been consistently used by one house lord or another for the personal gain of their own territory at the expense of the other members.

The entirety of the ***** is an insane, illogical mess that does nothing to suggest that anyone in a position of authority within the Word had any sort of a real gameplan or strategy since they attacked virtually every nation in the galaxy simultaneously with everything from warships to infiltration teams.

Now with that having been said, the idea that the minnesota tribe hid somewhere for over a century, watched the clan invasion occur (without participating in repelling them), observed Myndo waterly engage in the jaw droppingly stupid "operation scorpion", saw the blakists secede from comstar and take their creepy cult with them after she was removed from office... and then said "Lets join THOSE guys since they look like a winning team!" is amazingly, amazingly, amazingly shoddy writing.

My take on the minnesota tribe? Realizing that the IS was just as ****** a place as Kerensky figured it was going to be, the unit chose to disband in order to avoid being absorbed into the Fed. Alternately: they settled in the periphery and got picked to pieces by pirates over the course of a few centuries as they lacked the capacity to maintain their mechs for any length of time.

In short: Clan wolverine is dead and has been for a long time.

#9 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Meh, I always found a lot of the lore surrounding the Word of Blake and the Not-named-clan in particular to be fuzzy and random at best. As far as I am concerned, the Not-named-clan was wiped out to a man and the Minnesota Tribe are just some renegades who found an SLDF cache.

#10 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wow an actual Democracy in Battletech.

#11 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostPaintedWolf, on 16 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Wow an actual Democracy in Battletech.

Whats this about the FWL?

#12 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostAshla Mason, on 16 October 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Whats this about the FWL?

no, wartime powers act invalidates it, you should have said FRR

#13 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Something that we know for sure is that a McKenna class battleship, the Zughoffer Weir, was a part of the Exodus Fleet. That ship was then assigned to Clan Wolverine. The next we hear of it is that 300 years later, it is part of the WoB fleet. There is no explanation given for how the Wolverine ship came to be in their possession. We can come up with a number of scenarios including that the Minnesota Tribe joined Comstar or that Comstar may have simply found it abandoned and salvaged it.

Edited by Seth, 17 October 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#14 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAnoka, Minnesota, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostSeth, on 17 October 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Something that we know for sure is that a McKenna class battleship, the Zughoffer Weir, was a part of the Exodus Fleet. That ship was then assigned to Clan Wolverine. The next we hear of it is that 300 years later, it is part of the WoB fleet. There is no explanation given for how the Wolverine ship came to be in their possession. We can come up with a number of scenarios including that the Minnesota Tribe joined Comstar or that Comstar may have simply found it abandoned and salvaged it.

Taken from http://sarna.net about the Zughoffer Weir (http://www.sarna.net...f_Blake_Service).

The ship was apparently found in the Outworlds Alliance abandoned and heavily damaged. The Word of Blake believed it to be a part of the old Exodus fleet due to no major naval battles happening in Alliance space. So they took the ship and brought it back to be repaired.

#15 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

There has been several references to the Not-Named-Caln lately in a couple sources books leading me to believe they may be bringing them back into BattleTech.

BUT, HOW? Invaders? Saviors? Maybe for the 3125 era or that 3250 era they are planning doing in the future.

#16 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAnoka, Minnesota, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 21 June 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

There has been several references to the Not-Named-Caln lately in a couple sources books leading me to believe they may be bringing them back into BattleTech.

BUT, HOW? Invaders? Saviors? Maybe for the 3125 era or that 3250 era they are planning doing in the future.

Well they did just come out with the Era Report: 3145 which takes place 13 years after the fall of the HPG network. There was nothing in there that hinted at the return of the Clan but you never know.

#17 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 11 October 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

drugs....you really should stop using them

Or start, depending on what he`s doing now :P

#18 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostSeth, on 17 October 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Something that we know for sure is that a McKenna class battleship, the Zughoffer Weir, was a part of the Exodus Fleet. That ship was then assigned to Clan Wolverine. The next we hear of it is that 300 years later, it is part of the WoB fleet. There is no explanation given for how the Wolverine ship came to be in their possession.

Or the detail was just a continuation of pretty crappy writing.

#19 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

In some ways I liked Clan Wolverine for having the balls to tell the other clans their system played favorites...in other ways, I disliked them for being as hot headed as they were.

I know it's an interesting dichotomy...but they were right and wrong at the same time. Kerensky's used them as a scapegoat to get even, Clan Wolverine just left the open ended invitation on the table when (I forget her name) walked out telling them what they could do to themselves and where they could go afterward.

#20 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostGyrok, on 23 June 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

In some ways I liked Clan Wolverine for having the balls to tell the other clans their system played favorites...in other ways, I disliked them for being as hot headed as they were.

I know it's an interesting dichotomy...but they were right and wrong at the same time. Kerensky's used them as a scapegoat to get even, Clan Wolverine just left the open ended invitation on the table when (I forget her name) walked out telling them what they could do to themselves and where they could go afterward.

And Clan Blood Spirits support for them led to the wrong path for some time (and saw the end of the iLchi program), helped along by the acrimony of the other clans. The business with Burrock certainly did not help.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 24 June 2013 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users