Comparing Is And Clan Medium Lasers

46 replies to this topic

#41 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostStainlessSR, on 11 July 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Personally, Clan er-med might need to should follow the IS large laser ghost heat table, which would be a correct balence in my opinion...

This or reduce the ghost heat penalty for LLs. Either way would work.

#42 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostStainlessSR, on 11 July 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

you cannot balence the Clan ER M-laser with the IS M-Laser. apples and oranges dude. That is like trying to balence a Pickup with a passenger car in a towing contest.

Well, someone better tell the devs that then, because that IS the balancing strategy that was laid out to all of us on the forums.

#43 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostStainlessSR, on 11 July 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

you cannot balence the Clan ER M-laser with the IS M-Laser. apples and oranges dude. That is like trying to balence a Pickup with a passenger car in a towing contest.

You know, upon further reflection, I think you might be half right here. In the original weapon design post (http://mwomercs.com/...gn-perspective/), they said they were balancing clan weapons to the IS equivalents and used the Clan ER Large to IS ER Large as an example. However, the equivalent weapon to the Clan ER-M is NOT the IS Large, it would be the IS ER-M.

So, the devs may be balancing the Clan ER-M against the IS ER-M which has not been released yet. If that is the case, we don't know how the two weapons will perform comparatively, because we have not seen the stats for IS ER-Ms yet.

#44 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostLastPaladin, on 11 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

You know, upon further reflection, I think you might be half right here. In the original weapon design post (http://mwomercs.com/...gn-perspective/), they said they were balancing clan weapons to the IS equivalents and used the Clan ER Large to IS ER Large as an example. However, the equivalent weapon to the Clan ER-M is NOT the IS Large, it would be the IS ER-M.

So, the devs may be balancing the Clan ER-M against the IS ER-M which has not been released yet. If that is the case, we don't know how the two weapons will perform comparatively, because we have not seen the stats for IS ER-Ms yet.

True and that would be an interesting additon to the game. Many medium mechs are either short on range or short on damage due to weight of lasers/vs/range, IS-ERML would address this.

#45 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Guys, the effect of both Inner Sphere and Clan mechs IS THE SAME. They both kill and get very equal kill scores, assists, and can take just as much damage. The ONLY difference is how they achieve that. Many Inner Sphere only pilots see Clan mechs zipping around and then all of a sudden they forget those Griffins and Shadowhawks JJ'ing over their heads shredding Clanners with AC's and Streaks and they forget those Dragon Slayers and Victors ripping the Clans to shreds, they refuse to see their Catapults/Battlemasters/Highlanders/Awesomes unloading massive barrages of LRM's and shredding the enemy. The turn to look the other way when a Cataphract or Thunderbolts rips apart a Summoner or Timber Wolf. All they see is Clan mechs being shiny and new, playing with toys that they don't get to. Well, the new toys have limits that are FAR more strict than what any Inner Sphere mechs have.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but Clan mechs die just as easily as Inner Sphere mechs, they have the same armor. All you have to do is adjust your play style to the new threat and it dies just as easily as they ever did.

If Clans seem to have greater range, then adjust your builds to match that range, Inner Sphere mechs have the ability to swap out ALL components. I don't think it's the mechs in game that are causing a bunch of problems with balance, but the way some people are approaching a problem.

If you see something that seems tough, do you run or figure out how to beat it? You know the saying, when life throws you lemons, make lemonade..... or you could just whine to PGI until everyone's toys are broken like how you perceive yours to be. I personally don't think they are.

Just an FYI, I'm pretty sure there are no Inner Sphere mechs designed around one weapon besides the Hollander and the Fafnir and that's not in-game, well, look at the Nova. I don't pilot a Nova, but I know many people will be pissed if ER Mediums go the same route that ER Smalls did.

Why don't we all just use 1 damage 1 range 1 heat lasers to beat each other up? That would be fun, right?

#46 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostRonyn, on 11 July 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Guys, the effect of both Inner Sphere and Clan mechs IS THE SAME. They both kill and get very equal kill scores, assists, and can take just as much damage. The ONLY difference is how they achieve that. Many Inner Sphere only pilots see Clan mechs zipping around and then all of a sudden they forget those Griffins and Shadowhawks JJ'ing over their heads shredding Clanners with AC's and Streaks and they forget those Dragon Slayers and Victors ripping the Clans to shreds, they refuse to see their Catapults/Battlemasters/Highlanders/Awesomes unloading massive barrages of LRM's and shredding the enemy. The turn to look the other way when a Cataphract or Thunderbolts rips apart a Summoner or Timber Wolf. All they see is Clan mechs being shiny and new, playing with toys that they don't get to. Well, the new toys have limits that are FAR more strict than what any Inner Sphere mechs have.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but Clan mechs die just as easily as Inner Sphere mechs, they have the same armor. All you have to do is adjust your play style to the new threat and it dies just as easily as they ever did.

If Clans seem to have greater range, then adjust your builds to match that range, Inner Sphere mechs have the ability to swap out ALL components. I don't think it's the mechs in game that are causing a bunch of problems with balance, but the way some people are approaching a problem.

If you see something that seems tough, do you run or figure out how to beat it? You know the saying, when life throws you lemons, make lemonade..... or you could just whine to PGI until everyone's toys are broken like how you perceive yours to be. I personally don't think they are.

Just an FYI, I'm pretty sure there are no Inner Sphere mechs designed around one weapon besides the Hollander and the Fafnir and that's not in-game, well, look at the Nova. I don't pilot a Nova, but I know many people will be pissed if ER Mediums go the same route that ER Smalls did.

Why don't we all just use 1 damage 1 range 1 heat lasers to beat each other up? That would be fun, right?

??!!??

we (other than the op) were discussing more or less the balence of IS/Clan. I still get kills in my IS mechs (will not have any clan till tonight), I was only pointing out that you can't balance the C-ERML with the IS-ML, and our discussion continued from there into the possibility of IS-ERML.

#47 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostStainlessSR, on 11 July 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

??!!??

we (other than the op) were discussing more or less the balence of IS/Clan. I still get kills in my IS mechs (will not have any clan till tonight), I was only pointing out that you can't balance the C-ERML with the IS-ML, and our discussion continued from there into the possibility of IS-ERML.

Yeah, I kind of didn't see the 3rd page before I posted, sorry about that:P

I see the discussion turned more into a logical conversation than what i was earlier..... moving on....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users