13 replies to this topic

#1 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Plenty of other mechs still fire multiple hardpoints out of one set of missiles, like oh ALL THE CLAN MECHS, and the Cataphract 2X. The modification to the Catapult is unnecessary and silly - I've got two add on launchers on the ears, which were already too easy to hit. Either let us take the doors off or set all the hardpoints back IN THE EARS.

The meta is still LRM, there is no fear of a splatcat anymore. Giving my ears a 25% hitbox increase is just insulting.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

the extra hardpoints outside of the ears just looks silly, I'd appreciate putting the hardpoints back into the ears. I do, however, like the bay doors, purely because they look cool.

#3 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Clan mechs ripple fire LRMS, doesnt matter how many tubes you have. Which is why they dont need the add ons.

Edited by DarthRevis, 18 June 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

The point is, the original ears have 15 or 20 tubes depending on the mech. You should be able to use all of those before getting added elements, and they should come off when taking no missiles. Very few builds make sense visually with the current setup, and the doors not covering everything just add to the confusion.

#5 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

The catapult is just a horridly broken artifact left over when the devs were grasping at straws on how to fix things. A lot of the mechs could use a visual update that is actually quality work and not slap job.

#6 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

i agree it looks kinda dumb - just draw the missile tubes smaller inside the ear if you have an LRM60 in each ear (i'm sure that's be a very rare occurrence in any case)

Edited by JagdFlanker, 18 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#7 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:16 AM

Yo dawg, I heard u like VCRs
So I mounted some VCRs under your VCRs so you can watch VHS while you BetaMax with your 8-Track
Posted Image

Edited by Vodage, 19 June 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#8 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 18 June 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Clan mechs ripple fire LRMS, doesnt matter how many tubes you have. Which is why they dont need the add ons.

Mechanically speaking, it still would very much matter how many tubes you have. Unless clan mechs discovered temporal flux LosTech, the rate of that ripple fire would be limited by the speed at which consecutive missles can be loaded into the same tube. In other words, say firing LRM100 out of a 5-tube clan launcher would result in a stream of missles that lasts 5 seconds, is entirely eaten up by AMS, and serves to waste ammo. Having 5 times the amount of missle tubes (remember, the mechanical consecutive load rate into any given tube would be static) would result in a stream 0.2x the duration, or one second.

Edited by Vodage, 19 June 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#9 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

The doors can be left open with the toggle button, and the Timber Wolf gets addon tubes around its CT. I like that is shows each tube, so the add on's on the catapults ears don't bother me. I would like the ears to disappear if there are not missiles/armor in them.

#10 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostVodage, on 19 June 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Yo dawg, I heard u like VCRs
So I mounted some VCRs under your VCRs so you can watch VHS while you BetaMax with your 8-Track
Posted Image

ha ha ha, man, this got me laughing for a good while, wish I could forward it to the devs or something....... :)

#11 Joshua Rael

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Can we at least have the option to remove the doors? It is really annoying having to open them every match to avoid the firing delay. I never leave them closed so why not just let me remove them?

#12 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Mechanically speaking, it still would very much matter how many tubes you have. Unless clan mechs discovered temporal flux LosTech, the rate of that ripple fire would be limited by the speed at which consecutive missles can be loaded into the same tube. In other words,

if I recall correctly that the Atlas had that ability so if the IS could why not the Clans?

#13 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

Grinding the A1 is just a Pain in the... behind.
At least in PuG matches; dunno about team games.

You can either go full LRM or full SRM - but on the wrong map you end up being rather worthless.
Something in between, like 2x LRM15 and 4x SMR6 can bring some balance to your mech, but you are still totally depended on your team (which is part of playing an A1, i guess).

No hardpoints in the torso means you get easier disarmed then Myst Lynx's, so again in a PuG game the A1 is in most cases a very frustrating mech to play.

When it comes to the external Missle-Pods:
Meh.
I have to admit on first glance they looked cool to me, but only if i could decide if i want to put my missile-racks in there or in the actual Arm (ear).

Having 3 Streak SRM 2's not fitting into the Arm is outright stupid.

If, on the other hand, the Cat A1 would have like 6 missile-slot PER ARM... with the last 3 being outside... hmm... or at least 5 per arm... still not a StreakCrow, but close....
That would not help the original problem of getting disarmed so quickly, but help to have more flexible loadouts, like 3x LRM5 and 2x SRM6 per arm... come on... the A1 is supposed to be a missile carrier on legs, ain't it ? ;)

Edited by Trashhead, 19 January 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#14 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

The Catapult is also the size an of Atlas for some reason. That thing needs to be scaled way down

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users