Problem: Clan Player Names

109 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Pryde

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

It has just occurred to me that there is a problem with implementing the clans as portrayed in cannon with a large player base: Clanners only have first names until they win a blood name. Which would mean players who join the clans would certainly require non-unique player names, such as Steve, or "Steve of Clan Wolf". But certainly there would be more than one Steve.

How should this be dealt with? Some form of codex? Only going by call-signs?

Thoughts?

#2 Cherokee

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Prefix of Freeborn.

#3 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

No prob for me, I simply went with my callsign, I can still attach a first name.

I recon that MWO could allow for name changes in such a way that you can see the "real" name in addition to the callsign.

It would be wierd if you ended with the name Adrian Pryde Pryde....

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

I am Taylim Tseng of Clan Ghost Bear, I go under the callsign of CoffiNail due to me nailing mechs dead with my Executioner's Gauss Rifle and twin ER PPCs, As well it did not help of my enjoyment of Caffe, and being nicknamed Coffi as well.

#5 Undead

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I used my callsign too. Undead. Shoot at me all you like, it will neither stop me nor prevent your imminent demise.

#6 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Actually, Clanners always have a "last name". Before they get a Bloodname(if ever)their "last name" is effectively the name of their Clan. for instance I would be Phelan Wolf. However, I believe that PGI can effectively make a system that will work for us.

#7 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostPhelan Kerensky, on 12 January 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Actually, Clanners always have a "last name". Before they get a Bloodname(if ever)their "last name" is effectively the name of their Clan. for instance I would be Phelan Wolf. However, I believe that PGI can effectively make a system that will work for us.

Neg this is false. The only time a Warrior gets the clan as a 'surname' is when they were a bondsman and accepted in to the Warrior Caste.

This is why Phelan in BoK became Phelan Wolf.

#8 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Aff, I see now I was wrong. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

No problem, I know a good bit of BT lore, 7/8ths of it is all Clan though... I have a real nasty Clan Bias... even in MWLL I have problems taking IS mechs, and only do so rarely.

#10 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thank god. I would hate to be Ravn Snow Raven.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Most (if not all) clan-players allready have bloodnames (earned or given): So no need to change anything.

#12 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Are we saying if we earned a bloodname before hand it carries forward? I'm pretty sure some of us need to re-earn them. I doubt very much a still have a right to Crow. Haven't played since MW3.

Also, I've always loved earning an ironic blood name - Crow, Ravn -> Craven

Edited by Ravn, 12 January 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#13 Merf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

The more interesting problem is how names will be handled if (when!) the clans become available to players. Will we be able to transfer our name/callsign? Can we deactivate our IS pilot and restart a clan one to transfer the name/callsign that way? Will we have to come up with a new name just because we happened to start playing with our usual callsign?

/Merf - of Clan Smoke jaguar

#14 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

Good question.

#15 Leonardo Monteiro

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGalatea, Island of Skye

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:24 AM

Don't worry clanners, we have lots of names to call you!!! >:D

#16 Star Colonel Bruce Bekker

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:26 AM

i don´t see any problem...

#17 Merf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostLeonardo Monteiro, on 13 January 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

Don't worry clanners, we have lots of names to call you!!! > :D

I know. Odd how they all seem to just cut short.
Example: "Oi! Come git sum you filthy tra...*static* Arrrrgh! *more static*"

I guess it is not all that unexpected given the average spheroid's tendency towards contractions.

/Merf - Abandon all hope.

#18 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

Nicknames/callsigns seem rare in battletech lore, but we use them anyhow. We must be flexible with what exists in lore, compared to what works well in an online environment. People will use callsigns because they enjoy doing so.

It is up to individual teams to recognize or not recognize bloodnames of individuals (unless this game somehow implements with the clans a bloodname component, say by 'earning' a certain rank).

--

I too am interested in how it will work with joining clans (if that is even a possibility), and how the player character would change (if it would). I half wonder if clan play will be similar to LOTR monster-play, in that its an entirely separate experience with its own ranking up. It's just hard to guess because they haven't announced any solid news on clan play.

#19 Volume

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

I just went with what I've been using in other online games...I guess you can call it a "Callsign" but I figured that would be dependent on the situation and organization of the fighting. Honestly I wasn't sure how lore-heavy the forum username/account name needed to be. Either way, I would hope/assume that there would be mechanics in place (e.g., spawnable 1v1 servers so we can do Trial of Bloodright), or that clan members would find ways to organize who gets what bloodname, etc.

Edited by Volume, 13 January 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#20 Adrian Pryde

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

I know I for one would be very disappointed if the game did not include some of the more important trials in clan society, such as the Trial of Bloodright. Not only is it a huge flavor element, it is also clearly a game mechanic which could be used to further the game. Perhaps one could treat it almost like a raid in other MMO's. You get to compete in one bloodname trial every week, in a way a form of continual player tournament.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users