'mech Names In-Game

17 replies to this topic

Poll: 'Mech Names (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support?

1. Yes! (34 votes [59.65%])

Percentage of vote: 59.65%

2. No! (21 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Other. (Reply) (2 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Elaxter

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationEverywhere.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Don't you wish that you could show off your 'mech's name in-game and strike fear into the hearts of the weak? What terror would be had at the sight of "Skull Crusher" or "Clan Killer" on the battlefield.

Here's how it could work: A player must earn the right to show their 'mech's name on the battlefield. Let's say, 1000 kills with a single 'mech allows a player to set a name that will be seen on the battlefield. For example: "Boomstick" AS7-DD-C.

Or it could cost MC or C-Bills.

It could be that simple. If you like this suggestion, please show your support. If you do not, add your suggestions below.

Edited by Elaxter, 19 June 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#2 SuperBroHeroFella

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

I do like the suggestion of seeing the Mech names ingame. Altough in battle they would be mostly distracting. What I would love would be a feature like this:
  • In the Battle Endscreen you can click/hover on any playername and it will display a basic layout of the players stats: The used mech with camo and loadout, the mech name, his battlevalue (kills, assists, damage, etc.)

#3 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

It'd be funny to finally show people my boomjager named "SKILL"

Of course, prepare for Mechs to be named things such as:

"Expand Dong" memes
Expletives
Questionable Body Parts
Taunts directed at developers and moderators
Taunts directed at specific players
soop3r k3wI leetspeek
Homestuck references
References to other games
Gold 'mechs named "LOADSAMONEY"
Lenny Face (That's that ascii smile you see on forums sometimes)
Shrek jokes

And so on

#4 Octopot

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hehehe yeah was wondering when this was going to come up. Totally makes sense that a friend-or-foe tag would show up as <NAME> <MECHTYPE>.

I'd call this the outrangeous pilot option "The Maverick" - Pilot Customizing Naming Feature <UNLOCK> at a 100,000 GXP heck if you can earn it in GXP I think you deserve some personal custom options that can't be bought by cbills/mc alone, but of course *cough* converting it is the reasonable way to do it and somewhat fair to both PGI and those that want it.

Sorta like the gold mechs.

Edited by Octopot, 20 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#5 Lt Badger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

nice idea, but not necessary i think

the people on the battlefield remember rather your mane and not the name of your mech and i don´t believe u play allways only 2, 3 mechs and hope someone knows their namea ;)

#6 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Doesn't work, because then there would be censorship on the names, because crybabies are hurt by bad words in the Internet.

#7 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

maybe with the option to turn them off? (like chat)

#8 Redinator

• PipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRealm Of The Bloody Hangar

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Good idea. I would like to see the given mech name in the mech status box, bottom left in the cockpit (instead or under the mech type indentifier).
The enemy wouldn't see this, but you and your dead teammates who are spectating you.

But to be honest, i don't think we get this because to many people will write some "explicit lyrics".

Edited by Redinator79, 02 June 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#9 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Well of course i would love everyone to see my maddog "Tukayyid Belle" but well there´s missing one y because the nme was tooooooo long...

But i would say:

Please Limit the number of mechs you can Show the special name tag for every player- These mechs are personal machines and should be associated with the player- if every mechname would be shown it would take a lot of the idea behind it...

Edited by Fireeagle, 03 June 2015 - 03:14 AM.

#10 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:51 AM

option "show my mechnames" and option "show enemy mechnames" (under name, title, behind mech type (AS7-D-DC "Hugger"))
leave both unchecked, nothing changes
check first, enemy and team can see my mechnames (if they have second checked)
check second, i can see enemy and team mechnames (those who have first checked), warning: PGI is not responsible for things you may see

#11 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

No, just adds un-necessary complexity and useless e-peen.

#12 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

Russ says that feature will come in next year for Solaris, but you have to be careful about naming your mech.

#13 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

As long as it allows not only to display those names but also hide them if we want it(option in settings). Along with ability to hide pilot names and hero mech names(Pirates Bane to LCT-PB, etc).

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 08 October 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#14 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Good, can't want to name one of my Mechs Mr. Death and another one Make'm Run. Makes me smile and break out into an evil grin just thinking about it.

#15 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

It would add flavor so sure add mech naming. But you would need some kind of name policing.

I really --Don't-- really want to see mech names like example.

"Buttcrack"
"PoopyButt"
"Poopypants"
"Sexbot4U"
"666 Antichrist"
"Stupidname4u2C"

Mechs need real names that strike fear into your enemies. Not stupid names like these that are not names.

Edited by Zarlaren, 28 January 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#16 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:59 AM

no for god sake no, the hud overlay when hitting q is allready unreadable thanks to all those titles.

i don't give a **** if you are survivor, or a steadfast or a ace of spades - all i want to know is the designation of your Mech,
is it a KDK-1 or KDK-3.... oh I'm as well not interested in the name of the pilots

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

HUD overload is already quite an issue.

If PGI would relegate a number of HUD elements into the Cockpit Monitors, it would be a lot easier to manage the excess of unnecessary ("all the time") information and allow us to peek at info we only occasionally need to know, such as heatsink/equipment status, minimap (it's always in the way when light mechs try to get under me, but if it was on a monitor that was relatively close to what I'm looking at, it'd be easy to reference. But then we'd have to change "Bouncing box" syndrome to "player's head bounces and cockpit moves with it, so only the 'outside' would move as appropriate with walking. (would be a lot less jarring than the earthquake cockpit syndrome in which the pilot's neck would have to stretch long and shrink short like a turtle to keep perfectly still as even the pilot's body jostles up and down like a clown on the back of a bull.)

#18 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

Only if I would be able to turn it off in the settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users