#41 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostDrazyx, on 20 August 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

brawlingwise i DO BETTER and always have in all my atlai, i have all of them. I have all the stalkers and find them to be an 85% atlas, theyre not OP, theyre just strong 85 ton mechs, with a wider range of set ups than the atlas chassis allow. I find each atlas chassis has 1 or 2 optimal set ups that have been fine tuned over the years, especially the ones with a smaller range, K and my BH, they have been set and forgotten about.

DDC is my favourite atlas, i own 2 of them because i like to use it in a few set ups, here are the 2 i have going right now.
srm 6,6,4, 2LL, 2xuac5s
srm 6,6,6, 2LL 2xLB10x

i dont use LRMs on my atlas becuase theyre very good face huggers at 56?++++kph and other mechs(stalkers) do it better, when an atlas will end up within 180m quicker than an acme piano falls. My catapult a1 is pretty good too, definately earns back more than any other save for jester, another mech the devs got the set up just right on.

I only opened up my clan package 2 days ago, but ive played about 8 hours on the direwolf and a handful on timberwolves, i find theyre both good - but nothing compares to an atlas. The timberwolf i must mention because the 3 chassis offer a WIDE range of set ups that are really good and quickly becoming a favourite mech like ALL the stalkers, atlai, cataphracts, and catapults for me

I dont know if it's the fact all my atlas are mastered, or the reasoning behind disallowing me to change powerplants within the direwolves, but im finding the DWF to be less of a brawler under 200m and more of a k2 catapult that grew in size. If the direwolf was more maneuverable THEN it could contend. Im always best 3 on my team, never under 300 damage, average 500 in an atlas, add a few hundred for a good game. My first few games in the direwolf were 150 damage but i quickly remembereed what playing the atlas stock without upgrades was like, and kept my distance, and soon enough i was at 500 damage average again. After a game or two in each direwolf, not a fan of stock loadouts usually, i came up with these:

6xuac2 with 1700 ammo, not chained
2xuac10,2uac20, fired in doubles
2uac10+4ml+4ml, LRM20 prime, least favourite but these are my first goes with the chassis,

i can count the stock loadouts ive played with on one hand, except the victor 9S, the devs got that loadout right too! after introducing my friend to the game, tried it out with him, i was sold immediately. Back to the direwolf; it's totally a gunboat, nothing more. The atlas is still the king brawler, followed closely by some stalker builds IMHO. Last night i lost all 4 of my guns, surprise surprise, and ended up 3rd personing to torso twist my way to staying alive in a firefight, the direwolf can do it too, just not as well as the atlas. Although, i mention again, theyre all mastered and a bad comparison, as it's been a long time since they were stock, ive no idea how they actually compare OEM vs.OEM.

Torso twisting is a part of the game, if you dont do it, youre automatically bad. It's VERY pivotal to success to take your hands off the wheel to distribute damage; distributing incoming damage is nearly as important for the atlas as distributing outgoing damage. The lighter you go, the more avoidance and pure DPS management become increasingly important. Atlai are able to have a direct impact on a frontline, while handling their entire game, incoming, outgoing, and placement. The direwolf cant do anything but outgoing damage, sure you can torso twist, but it's like taking your hands off the wheel of a sailboat in a crowded paddock, focus on your job at hand; again where the atlas can do it all. Until i get mastered in my direwolves, well halfway there so i suspect tonight ill have a better idea of the full capabilities of both.

I hope the direwolf doesnt get to become as maneuverable as the atlai, because it does gun platforming much better, heck many heavies do too, but what the atlas seemingly can always have is a 40% increase to wheeling and dealing over DWFs. Wheeling a DWF around the battlefield is rough, and i often laugh to myself, look at me, im AFK climbing, come gank me, a warthunder reference. I think that's enough for now.

I dont know if this helps, but it's been fun blogging my little bit of experience after a few days, time to get mastery! :):D

Glad to hear that you are having fun with the Atlas builds.

In all honesty the way the two mechs work boils down to these simple ideas:

Direwolf: Insane amounts of forward facing firepower. As long as the team protects it, it will kill everything.

It serves as a Juggernaut

Atlas: Lead the charge, and whatever it is, you want to get close to it, and punch it.

Brawler covers it pretty well. I recommend reading the other battlemech roles in TT, as they really show you how mechs can be used to fulfill two or more roles simultaneously.

In my DWF, I fear any enemy that gets within 300 meters of me, and I absolutely dread that death's head skull when it's within 100 meters of me.

#42 Jalthibuster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

I really like the D-DC for beeing quite versatile and it's swiftness compared to the whale. Usually got some Gauss, CERLL and LRMs on my whale but today I put in 4xUAC10 and 6xERSL just for nonsense fun. Shot me 9 kills. Was really ridiculous. :)

#43 Drazyx

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

since there are other proof of purchases, here's my contribution. Im sure we've all seen atlai do the same.edit-2ac10,2uac20. 1:3 ac10 to ac20 ammoPosted Image

Edited by Drazyx, 20 August 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#44 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Speaking of atlai doing similar. Atlas k, double ams, 3 lls, 1 ac/20 (super hunch back)
Posted Image

Edited by Just wanna play, 24 August 2014 - 04:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users