• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostKell Commander, on 20 June 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

Supposedly PGI is going to implement a feature that will let you select 4 mechs, then once you see the map take of of your 4 selected.

nope
dropship mode cancelled quite a while back. their position on it changed i guess.

#82 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 June 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

nope
dropship mode cancelled quite a while back. their position on it changed i guess.

Yeah, I was getting ready to mention that.

#83 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Ok, here's another question to add to the mix.

It's not necessarily about BIGGER maps, just not smaller. If they had more maps about the size of or slightly bigger than alpine, terra, etc. that would be ok as well.

Maps like river city? Not so much. That map is nothing more than spawn and shoot from the getgo. I do NOT want to see more maps like this. It's pointless. I have no desire to have more maps where immediately upon spawning, you're already within weapons ranges of enemy weapons. That doesn't even take into account that there's simply no strategy involved when you can physically see your opponent before the match even starts.

So even if you don't want BIGGER maps, do you want smaller maps??

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 20 June 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Yeah, I was getting ready to mention that.

Well that's another reason behind some of the topics I'll be starting over the next few weeks. We have players who aren't up to date on the direction of the game because finding definitive and clear information can be next to impossible depending on the topic you're searching.

#84 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 June 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

It's not necessarily about BIGGER maps, just not smaller. If they had more maps about the size of or slightly bigger than alpine, terra, etc. that would be ok as well.

Maps like river city? Not so much. That map is nothing more than spawn and shoot from the getgo. I do NOT want to see more maps like this. It's pointless. I have no desire to have more maps where immediately upon spawning, you're already within weapons ranges of enemy weapons. That doesn't even take into account that there's simply no strategy involved when you can physically see your opponent before the match even starts.

River City should be a 6 vs 6, Forest Colony/Frozen City 8 vs 8, Canyon/Crimson 10 vs 10 and Tourmaline/Mordor/Alpine 12 vs 12.

Obviously could make some arguments up and down. But the gist of it.

And no maps released from now on that are smaller than Canyon.

#85 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 June 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Well that's another reason behind some of the topics I'll be starting over the next few weeks. We have players who aren't up to date on the direction of the game because finding definitive and clear information can be next to impossible depending on the topic you're searching.

No. Tourmaline and Therma are about as large as I want it to be. I actually do like Forest Colony, but I admit it's pretty small and it sucks to have mechs trading shots within 15 seconds. I still think medium-sized maps are the sweet spot.

#86 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

I think assault+skirmish+conquest works with current size, but beginning in Community Warfare and maybe having missions might demand larger maps. Wouldn't take long to explore all of caustic valley, so it's not best for a recon mission, mostly just brawl.

#87 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Bigger. The hunt is half the fun.

#88 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

nope

What? How the hell did i miss that? ;)

#89 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

People carp about any map that gets them out over their "blob-it" comfort zone. Recon in non-existent (thanks to ECM,) players can't cope with units seen across the whole map that aren't on senors, and having a map big enough for one team to out maneuver opposing assaults mechs on trashes a players' cash flow.

Also: LuRMs where out-ranged on Alpine …

Make Canyon Network about three times the size, in two directions, maybe with moar cover, and even moar climbable access points; Spread the spawns out (lightest lance forward, please,) then see what people say …

Or, you know, fix recon.

Edited by Goose, 20 June 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#90 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

View Postslide, on 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Bigger. The hunt is half the fun.

I agree

View PostWolfways, on 20 June 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

dunno, but it was flat out cancelled

#91 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

nope

Quote? Link?

#92 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostNeonKnight, on 20 June 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Quote? Link?

dig through CC posts, it's in there. I'd post it if I had it handy but it's been quite a while. Someone else may have easy access to it though. I promise, it was cancelled though.

Addendum:

It MIGHT have been in one of the AtD posts as well. I just don't have a link handy

Edited by Sandpit, 20 June 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#93 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostNeonKnight, on 20 June 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

yeah, because the REAL world NEVER has cities like that!

Phoenix Arizona:

(Giant picture deleted)

Rio De Janeiro:

(giant picture also deleted)

Real Geography does not necessarily make great gameplay

#94 moneyBURNER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I just wanted to say that any issues with really huge maps can be resolved by game design. For example, the tedium of having to travel long distances could perhaps be addressed by allowing a dropship to be called in for redeployment to a number of predefined locations. That could be a perk of the command console. Depending on the gameplay impact, maybe a minimum number of mechs would have to board before the dropship would take off, and maybe it would only be available within a certain period of time.

Secondary objectives that offer worthwhile bonuses would not only encourage engagements in certain areas, but could also help with the problem of having to track down remaining enemies over a large area by providing a satellite uplink to reveal enemy locations, which could be balanced by various mechanics like an initialization period, and the ability to be disabled and re-enabled.

#95 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 June 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

dig through CC posts, it's in there. I'd post it if I had it handy but it's been quite a while. Someone else may have easy access to it though. I promise, it was cancelled though.

Addendum:

It MIGHT have been in one of the AtD posts as well. I just don't have a link handy

It was in two ATD's and they actually waffled, then cancelled it again.

#96 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

He is wrong we need bigger maps, it will increase viability of lights and tactics, might make electronic warfare mean something, and make it more than Mechstrike

#97 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 20 June 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Real Geography does not necessarily make great gameplay

maybe so, but it still does exist as real options.

#98 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostWolfways, on 20 June 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

They cancelled their design plans for Dropship mode a while ago once they decided to implement the Launch Module with the 3/3/3/3 rule. This was mentioned on twitter and an NGNG podcast (can't recall which one).

Dropship mode has been replaced with an Attack/Defend mode which is basically the same thing, just without re-spawns. That is planned to be released later this year as part of planetary conquest.

#99 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 20 June 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

They cancelled their design plans for Dropship mode a while ago once they decided to implement the Launch Module with the 3/3/3/3 rule. This was mentioned on twitter and an NGNG podcast (can't recall which one).

Dropship mode has been replaced with an Attack/Defend mode which is basically the same thing, just without re-spawns. That is planned to be released later this year as part of planetary conquest.

Well that sucks ;)

#100 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 20 June 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Yeah gotta love social media. Makes me glad the rest of the "real" does not operate this way.

WTF are my taxes going up? Oh there was a twitter by the Minister of Finance talking about that.

What do you mean my Credit Card is now payable in full every month or I get hit with 40% interest? There was a podcast last year where the CEO mentioned it in passing. If you look he says it around the 18 minute mark.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users