8 replies to this topic

#1 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Since this game is going to be a 1:1 day to BattleTech's established timeline, how will they be handling the really big historical battles ie Luthien and Tukayyid? Will players be able to participate in these as large events, or will they just be another line in the news ticker?

Should players be allowed to participate? I mean, what if the outcome is different than what has been established in cannon - ie Clan players manage to beat the crap out of the ComGuard at Tukayyid?

#2 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Very good question!!! I like that. My thoughts are this, from what I read in the first Q&A, and I may be crazy, but I think I might also be right. It seems to me that, if the larger, history-changing fights are NOT locked away, just a line on a ticker, then perhaps only a certain percentage of each side's historical in-fight wartable values would be opened as ghost slots for us players to drop into in order to play in them. For example, if you have two regiments going at it, say Kurita vs. Davion, and Davion's supposed to lose, perhaps 12 slots, or so, of Davion would be allowed to be filled by players, the rest being AI bots, while up to 36 slots would be opened for the Kurita side, with the remainder of their Regiment on the field as bots. Not sure where the devs are on this, but I'm thinking that might not be a bad way to go.

#3 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'd be fine with that. I'd even be okay with losing a battle if it was supposed to be an in-canon loss, and I hate losing. But I don't think AI is really being considered yet... I dunno, we'll just have to see what happens. Good point, though, guys.

#4 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

It's hard to say. I certainly wouldn't want to miss a major engagement. But, really, who can find the time to spend 20 days re-enacting the Battle of Tukkayid? It'd be going 24 hours a day for nearly three weeks.

#5 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostBrakkyn, on 18 November 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

It's hard to say. I certainly wouldn't want to miss a major engagement. But, really, who can find the time to spend 20 days re-enacting the Battle of Tukkayid? It'd be going 24 hours a day for nearly three weeks.

Figure it would be a couple weeks long event so the majority of the community could get in on it, and if you participate in it you can get an in game medal or something (players like collecting achievements, a Tukayyid Veteran Campaign Medal or achievement would be pretty awesome!).

#6 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

My idea on historical battles is thus.

When we reach the point in the timeline, we're given a full week to participate in said battle. Now, to limit people spam playing Tukkayid or something of the sort, you're allowed to do one ranked battle a day, and at the end of the week these victory/loss ratios get tallied as a whole across all the games played. Give the victorious side something of a bonus or something cool, etc.

Once the time has passed, no more ranked matches can be played of said historical battle, but you may still play the fight for fun with other groups that doesn't effect the overall galaxy map/etc.

There's a few things to iron out, such as....how Pirahna is going to allow us to fudge canon a bit or what have you. If the IS loses at Tukayyid, do we really lose it and the Clans get to continue regardless OR have it where the Clans lose no matter what (as is canon) BUT the Clan players may still win the big bonus for "winning" the point battle.

It'll be interesting to see if it's instituted as an NPC fight, cause we don't really know when anyone will be allowed to roll a Clanner.

View PostDocBach, on 18 November 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Figure it would be a couple weeks long event so the majority of the community could get in on it, and if you participate in it you can get an in game medal or something (players like collecting achievements, a Tukayyid Veteran Campaign Medal or achievement would be pretty awesome!).

Having campaign ribbons and such for characters would be pretty B.A. Certain rewards for different actions during the actual fighting, etc. Get a participation ribbon/campaign ribbon for actually being online and fighting during the legal time period, so older characters have a way of showing off and showing progression/history.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 18 November 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

I miss Red Baron and Heavy Gear 2 where you can do historical missions.
But I guess those belong in the single-player version... or
wait can we have historical missions as training missions?

#8 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

View PostYeach, on 18 November 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

I miss Red Baron and Heavy Gear 2 where you can do historical missions.
But I guess those belong in the single-player version... or
wait can we have historical missions as training missions?

I feel REALLY bad for the pleeb that has to have Luthien, Tukayyid, or the Great Refusal as one of their first ever combat experiences. lol

#9 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

So you know how most F2P game do holiday events?

Like during Halloween in Spiral Knights you collected candy from a unique pumpkin encounter and used it to unlock unique masks, and in TF2 you could fight a ghost or something and get hats. And so on for christmas, etc.

I think MWO should do that to but instead of real-world holidays, it should be in-universe battles. They should be special events on special maps with unique rewards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users