• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Ok, I know a lot of players don't follow twitter so
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/17power">@17power</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/bryanekman">@bryanekman</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Paul_Inouye">@Paul_Inouye</a> I think we could go bigger but honestly I dont think people have shown to like them so far in MWO</p>— Russ Bullock (@russ_bullock) <a href="https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/statuses/479731313021177857">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If anyone knows how to clean that up I'd be grateful.

I think we could go bigger but honestly I dont think people have shown to like them so far in MWO</p>— Russ Bullock (@russ_bullock)

So Russ is saying the community doesn't want or like bigger maps. Here's your chance to pipe up if you disagree with that statement.

Edited by Sandpit, 20 June 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#2 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

https://twitter.com/...731313021177857

@17power @bryanekman @Paul_Inouye I think we could go bigger but honestly I dont think people have shown to like them so far in MWO

^ That what you wanted? Ctrl + Shift + V is your friend ;)

Edited by darkkterror, 20 June 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#3 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Well, Alpine Peaks is super boring, so I don't think bigger is better.

#4 dekker lentz

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

If we get more bigger maps, I kinda want the lances spread out more. So you can have 4 x 4 on a part of the map and 8 vs 8 on another. Or something similar, to spread out the balling up of groups or add tactics to it.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 20 June 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

@17power @bryanekman @Paul_Inouye I think we could go bigger but honestly I dont think people have shown to like them so far in MWO

^ That what you wanted? Ctrl + Shift + V is your friend ;)

no I was hoping someone could actually clean up the embed code to make it look prettier and actually link it to the actual twitter post if at all possible.

Ok for my two cents

bigger maps = longer matches
more tactics
more strategy
more use for things like scouting and light mechs

I mean when you spawn and you're automatically within LRM range of the enemy team before you even move, that's kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

#6 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I want bigger and likewise want MWO to copy MW:LLs style of capture the point system of gameplay which will lead to a dynamic, ever-changing and shifting battlefield. This of course would mean thirty minute to hour long matches with respawns allowed during them.

If you never played MW:LL, you won't understand--so think Battlefield 1942. It is truly far more entertaining than the usual deathball to point b and engage in the same spot every time with the same number of 'mechs.

#7 Dakkath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Well, IMO, bigger maps would be awesome, but they first need to spread out lances, and second, need to add in-game VOIP, third they need to open up the dang terrain (I always feel like I am fighting in a tunnel), fourth they need to add objectives with real incentive (not just some boring oil refinery to babysit.)

#8 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Bigger maps
More structures
More caves
Less hills.

Destructible...Enviroment.

Yes.

#9 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Most small maps we have seem more suited for 8v8 its like one side controls one half of the map and you'll get shot up bad trying to close in usually making it more of a turtle. The bigger maps are more fun I find, except alpine too open. I also would be for random spawn locations not knowing where the enemy base is would add a lot of fun.

#10 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Alpine is poorly designed for actual gameplay with huge open sightlines and massive terrain advantages to one spawn or the other. Tourmaline is alright, needs a MAJOR terrain geometry pass as shots that -should- hit will almost always impact invisible walls if they are fired near or at an opponent near the crystaline structures. Terra Therma is a mix between alpine and Tourmaline but at least most of the time both teams have a shot at getting to the high ground. Terra is ridiculously samey all around as well, and since you can't use thermal or night vision on it because they don't have the ability to tune equipment in the future, well, it's not pleasant.

So most of the problems with 'big' maps are due to poor map making, not the size of the maps themselves. Crimson is fairly large, and while some areas are underutilized or over exploitable it is a popular map. On the contrary, making maps too small like river city/river city night can be very frustrating as you often take fire from the enemy in or coming out of your spawn. This limits maneuvering and surprise as well as breaks up coordination in pugs as some want to move in while others are forced to shield themselves from fire, and splitting the team is almost always a bad idea once the firefight starts.

Edited by Monky, 20 June 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#11 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

OK, my thoughts. personally I LOVE the big maps, where you power up and take 5 steps without tripping over team mates who are already trying to set up fire lines for the enemy.

The single WORST map for this has got to be RIVER CITY. If you start on the CITADEL side of the map as opposed to the docks, you get for your effort crappy defense turrets that have little LOS for the enemy coming in. And if one of your team is stupid enough to rush the docks right off the bat and open the dockside missile turret by the Gantry, you can't even leave the city to try and engage them without being rained on with defense turret LRMs that you can't target back because of the range issues.

Next worst map is Forest Colony. two small, way too narrow. and again, one side (the mining op side) has better defense turret layouts which allow for better LRM defense and LoS than the RADAR TOWER side.

But that said, Alpin has a lot of unused real estate, and Terra Therma all fights want to happen in the centre. So maps that are a little smaller than Terra Therma/Alpine but defintely larger than Forest Colony/ RIver $H!tty.

#12 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

I would say that some of the maps feel a little too big- but the ones that feel small feel really really small with 12 players per team and base turrets.

Surely there has to be an in between that can work....or at the very least they could look into doing something with River City, which most players would agree is the biggest problem. (The next biggest probably being Alpine for the opposite reason- I'm pretty sure that people gravitate to "Murder Mountain" on Alpine, not so much because it's a great place to fight, but because they don't want to get lost for half of the battle in the vast expanses of map around Murder Mountain.)

It would also be cool if PGI would possibly re-skew the random map frequencies so that battles in Mordor...er, um, I mean Terra Therma aren't such a common occurrence.

Edited by Pygar, 20 June 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#13 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

View PostSandpit, on 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

no I was hoping someone could actually clean up the embed code to make it look prettier and actually link it to the actual twitter post if at all possible.

I don't think this forum supports embedding Twitter posts. I've seen some forums where you can just drop in a Twitter link and it embeds the tweet into the post, making it look like you're reading it right off of Twitter. I did add the link to my first post, but I don't think there's anything more to do than that.

Anyway, as far as bigger maps go...I'm a little torn. When I pick my Dire Wolf and get dropped onto Alpine I don't usually like it, but that's because the Dire Wolf is so slow. If my team is filled with a bunch of faster Mechs the battle can nearly be over by the time I get to it (sometimes). Or there are times where my team spends 5+ minutes to find the enemy team only for the battle to last 2 minutes.

When I drop in, say, my Timber Wolf, then bring on the big maps. I actually enjoy them much more when I'm not piloting a whale of a Mech.

Furthermore, I don't particularly like Alpine. I think a lot of the sight lines are just way too long. If I pack in a brawler build it's so easy to just get torn apart on the approach. I think there's too much visibility.

Edited by darkkterror, 20 June 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#14 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Sadly I have to agree that we don't need bigger maps. Maps like Frozen City and Canyon Network are good. But Alpine Peaks and Terra Therma are sadly just way too massive.

#15 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Don't forget to make the matches longer. In only 15 minutes you can't really maneuver that long before you have to seek the fight.

If the time limit is raised, I am all for bigger maps.

#16 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

The problem is that the only truly 'large' map that they have is wide open with imbalanced starting locations that favors one side over the other.

Make a larger city style map and more people will like it because it wont lend itself to stand off sniping and LRM fests like Alpine Peak does.

#17 Gizmoh

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'd say, bigger maps should be their own game mode, with respawns or something. Because bigger maps with what we have now is just going to be a snoozefest.

#18 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

People don't like alpine because it is bad, not because it is big.

Alpine is a huge map with very little cover, and very little varity in terrain. There are open snow fields, rocky snowfields, gentley rolling hilly snowfields, and steep mountainous snow fields.

Crimson is also huge map, but it has a wide range of terrain and thus it is widly considered to be one of the best maps in MWO. It has a huge multi level parking garage, a shoreline, deep water, an island, city streets, a tunnel, a wide open lake, mountains, etc, etc...

#19 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

View Postxhrit, on 20 June 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

It has a huge multi level parking garage, a shoreline, deep water, an island, city streets, a tunnel, a wide open lake, mountains, etc, etc...

You work in Realty or something, because DAMN I wanna buy a house there now. Just tell me where the MECH SIZED golf course is!

#20 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Bigger is better. MW4 had landscapes where you could pick channels to fight, long paths of secrecy. Mw3, giant maps. These are Counterstrike maps to me.

Add 8 Drop points. Let people control if they want to start closer or farther.

View Postxhrit, on 20 June 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Crimson is also huge map, but it has a wide range of terrain and thus it is widly considered to be one of the best maps in MWO. It has a huge multi level parking garage, a shoreline, deep water, an island, city streets, a tunnel, a wide open lake, mountains, etc, etc...

Doesn't seem huge...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users