114 replies to this topic

#21 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 24 June 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

The Summoner has a half ton more pod space than the Stormcrow. The six differences between the chassis are:

1) Stormcrow is faster.

2) Stormcrow has more armor.

3) Stormcrow can mount more beam weapons.

4) Summoner can jump.

5) Summoner has a half ton more pod space.

6) Summoner has 14 fixed double heat sinks.

I am more of a lore purist when it comes to the Clan omnimechs, so I haven't touched their armor values at all. It really doesn't bother me. And I've also driven the Summoner more than even the Stormcrow, though I do enjoy the almost-B config I made for the Stormcrow ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

#22 usualsuspect

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt/Germany

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I started to think of the Summoner as a heavier Version of my beloved Dragon Flame, but with Jumpjets. I therefore equipped a Gauss and four CMedLasers and actually was surprised how well it worked for me. The playstyle of the two heavies is Quite similar actually. You can easily switch the Gauss for the CAC10.

But yeah, it was painful to come to that realization and i didn't have a clue what to do with the Summoner before starting to master the third D chassis ...

#23 Bacon_Warrior88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2232f28c5ede80

#24 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostMizeur, on 25 June 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

What I am trying to say is that despite the comparisons everyone makes between the Summoner and the Stormcrow, they are two different machines with different capabilities. The for example, the fact that the Summoner has more fixed double heat sinks makes it more inherently energy weapon-friendly (or cool-running with a mixed energy-ballistic-missile loadout) at the expense of pod space.

#25 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

I mean...OK? They're different. The Stormcrow is better at everything except jumping and its ballistics options.

After adjusting armor, it's a 1.5 ton advantage available weight for the Stormcrow. Crit slots aren't that big a difference because of the hardwired jump jets.

The Stormcrow also has an edge in that it's arguably at least a match for if not superior to every other mech in its weight class, regardless of faction. So you're not objectively hurting your team by taking one. The same can't be said for the Summoner.

It beats a lot of the IS heavies but not all. And it's clearly outclassed by the TBR in most regards, even if you're not running the meta. So it's not wrong to say you're putting your team at a disadvantage by taking one.

#26 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Just wanted to chime in, but I love the Summoner. Sure, its not the best thing since sliced bread, game wise, but it is very solid. I generally use it in stock lore configs, and the Prime and D seems to work best for me so far.

It does alot of things well, in the Prime config, but nothing exceptionally. You just have to play to its strengths, while avoiding your enemy's strengths. Just finished elite on the Prime, and setup my B as a C (cause I do TERRIBLE in the stock B...). My Prime is usually Prime, but sometimes A config. Gonnna work on eliting my B (aka C) chassis now :)

#27 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

Summoner has more mobility an better overal movement capabilitys than madcat.
Additionaly its less vulnerable at Cockpit, center Torso and grants a lower side profile and with its high mounted cockpit it grants better battlefield overwatch and situational awareness.
The List is actually pretty long.

#28 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Well there is a very simple reason why the summoner "sucks": It doesn't have endosteel, but very few hard points. When you have few hardpoints you want to mount heavy weapons, but the standard structure of the summoner means less free tonnage available. This is a contradiction, if you want to optimize your mech and it's why e.g. a Timberwolf is more efficient per ton. With the additional available slots you would usually mount more heat sinks, which in turn would require you to ahve many energy hardpoints, which again the summoner doesn't have. It's a poor design and a cadet mech :P But ofc it's also one of the most classical mechs and one a true mech warrior can not skip ;)

This looks like a Summoner build I would try:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93e66e60c1913cb

Edited by Autobot9000, 27 June 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#29 Jalthibuster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 27 June 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

This looks like a Summoner build I would try:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93e66e60c1913cb

Well, this is almost that build i finally found working for me...which is pretty close to my beloved victor even though the ultra ac/20 does not give you that IN YOUR FACE punch. But it's possible in a MadCat with a slightly better version as well which i also enjoy.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b0191365a82612

#30 Vadafallon

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

I love the Summoner. I don't understand the complaints. I continuously wreck faces with mine. All three variants.

Prime, i run it stock and i love the versatility.
B - 4 srm6, 1 lrm20 and a machine gun. Upclose monster with some ranged versatility.
D - I run this stock as well. I think i almost broke 1000 with this thing the other night.

I really see no issues with this mech.

#31 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Here are the perks of the summoner:

- Many positive perks that while it makes it have smaller payloads then a madcat or storm crow, it has many RoF buffs that makes the summoner use what it has more effectively.
- The TW-S by comparison gets stuck with many negative traits that makes it a bit more slower on the draw.
- Very flexible / maneuverable frame that can make whip fast torso turns making it both shoot and shield.
- Side profile is slim enough to actually have the arms sheild your torso's. Unlike the TW where if you torso shield, you actually become a MUCH larger target to peg.
- Upcoming Heavy Jump Jet balance changes will potentially nerf single JJ mechs into oblivion (as it should) which will mean if you REALLY want those JJ's on the TW, your more then likely going to have to stick to the two "S" torso's which doubles up the negative mods on the frame. But admittedly, this is something that remains to be seen.

#32 Maverick27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

I doesn't seem like a worthy or versatile mech on paper but I have to say, it performs really well, mainly due to its incredible maneuverability. I play the Prime with ERPPC, CSRM6 and LBX10 and the D with 4x CERML and a CGauss, both to great effect. The B I've been using LRM40 and 2x CERML but it's less effective for me.

#33 bossclan

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIndiana United States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

I run my Thor with 2 erll,2ermeds,2mg,and dual ams and it does very well.
The mech is very nimble and i still have not even filled my basic skill slots yet.

#34 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

SUMMONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Sorry just got my "Ace of spades" and had to brag about my Summoner.

Edited by DONTOR, 01 July 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#35 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 01 July 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

SUMMONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Sorry just got my "Ace of spades" and had to brag about my Summoner.

load out now!!!! :(

#36 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 24 June 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

That said, I do think that PGI should give them Endo, just to have a couple extra tons for ammo if nothing else. Compared to the other clan mechs they are significantly out gunned. And so far they don't feel much more mobile to me, but then again I played the Stormcrow a lot early. That mech seems to be just amazing!

Afraid you have to wait till 3118 for Summoners with endo

#37 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 02 July 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

load out now!!!! :)

Very well its no secret, as a side note I didnt poptart while IS mechs were here. Now that the summoner is out though I really think it excells at jump sniping because of its 5 JJS and perma DHS. So natrally I have 1 Gauss in the righ torso, and 1 CERPPC in the right arm, with 4.5 tons ammo. Make damn sure you protect the hell outta that right side and it will do wonders.

(more bragging)
SUMMONER SMN-B 97 57 40 1.43 146 39 3.74 59,650 118,026 11:49:18

Edited by DONTOR, 02 July 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#38 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 02 July 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Very well its no secret, as a side note I didnt poptart while IS mechs were here. Now that the summoner is out though I really think it excells at jump sniping because of its 5 JJS and perma DHS. So natrally I have 1 Gauss in the righ torso, and 1 CERPPC in the right arm, with 4.5 tons ammo. Make damn sure you protect the hell outta that right side and it will do wonders.
(more bragging)
SUMMONER SMN-B 97 57 40 1.43 146 39 3.74 59,650 118,026 11:49:18

that's it? How didnt anyone charge you with brawlers? Or is the answer there werent any brawlers?

Edited by mogs01gt, 02 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#39 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 02 July 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

that's it? How didnt anyone charge you with brawlers? Or is the answer there werent any brawlers?

Why doesnt everyone charge a jump sniper? I dont know why but they should. Also I had great positioning, and mobility in the sumoner means you can stay alive forever in those things, just be VERY aware of your surroundings. Oh and they did charge me i finished at 28%, I was beat up bad, with only my ERPPC in the end.

Edited by DONTOR, 02 July 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#40 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostJalthibuster, on 23 June 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

...could i have a Kit Fox-C arm pretty please? Can't find a single reason and no purpose to bring that mech instead of my MadCat if it doesn't get some extra gimmick. I know it's lore and so on but....seriously what is it good for?

exploiting the 5 JJ's and higher cockpit/ballistic hardpoint will give you the advantage over the timberwolf. It actually has trouble beating the summoner if you once again use the summoners speed/agility and head advantage, despite the Timber being 5 tons heavier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users