Want To Learn The Battletech/mw Lore? Start Here!

32 replies to this topic

#21 REllana

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

I'm wondering someone could help me out here. Browsing on the Mechwarrior WIKI I ran into some references to the "Wars of Reaving" which interested me into finding out what they were. I know the brief details but I'd still like to fill in on the backstory,if any novels were written on what went on in the Wars in question. Would I be able to find out what I'd need to read in to fill myself in here?

#22 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

The rabit hole? sure its not the ac 20 barrel we are looking through?

#23 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostREllana, on 17 January 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm wondering someone could help me out here. Browsing on the Mechwarrior WIKI I ran into some references to the "Wars of Reaving" which interested me into finding out what they were. I know the brief details but I'd still like to fill in on the backstory,if any novels were written on what went on in the Wars in question. Would I be able to find out what I'd need to read in to fill myself in here?

There is a source book for battletech/MechWarrior called "The wars of reaving" that deals with the home clans going bonkers on each other.

#24 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

Bonkers indeed.

I seem to recall hearing things about genetic bio-weapons designed to wipe out anything from single individuals to entire bloodlines of warriors... I guess that's what you get, when your leading class are a bunch of ignorant narccists who are spawned of the experiments of a class of scientists... scientists who the warrior class subverts - but who they wouldn't exist without.

If you want a better summation, you should do a search on the bg.battletech.com/forums/ site; that'd the best place to get your answer.

Edited by Pht, 25 January 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#25 ThoR294

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

by the way... the atlas is not punching a masakari... pretty sure its a Mad Dog/Vulture (nottice the missile torso ;))

I have all of the BT books for the clan invasion, and the first book (Exodus Road) got me hooked hardcore!!!! I need to start reading them again...

#26 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostThoR294, on 23 January 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

by the way... the atlas is not punching a masakari... pretty sure its a Mad Dog/Vulture (nottice the missile torso ;))

I have all of the BT books for the clan invasion, and the first book (Exodus Road) got me hooked hardcore!!!! I need to start reading them again...

the top si clearly the warhawk, and the size would not fit an maddog.

its a pic of the old classic desing the warhawk has

Posted Image

PGI added arm mounted missile hardpoints near the hands area, while in old designs, they were at the top of the arms.

Posted Image

damn why is the pic getting downscaled :/

use the link for full size http://suptg.thisisn...88554648146.jpg

Edited by Lily from animove, 23 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#27 ThoR294

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

fullsize is clearly now it is a warhawk lol. im just so used to how warhawk and mad dog look in MW2... ;)

#28 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I am looking for a mech construction program that would allow construction of new types of protomechs (quad/glider/ultra-heavy) from Wars of Reaving. SSW does not do protos. Remlab does only first generation 2-9 ton biped protos, as does Heavy Metal Lite. What program can do that, or does it exist at all?

Edited by Sniper09121986, 02 April 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#29 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

Allot of those programs have trouble keeping up with newer construction rules and equipment.

#30 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:18 AM

Is there any program which can create Industrialmechs? A civilian themed campaign would be nice.

#31 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostNimoStar, on 09 August 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Is there any program which can create Industrialmechs? A civilian themed campaign would be nice.

http://www.solarissk...s.com/downloads

SSW does 99% of what you want, for free. About the only thing SSW can't do seems to be L.A.M.s, and that's fair, most people have no experience fighting them or running them. The nice part about SSW is that your designs can be exported diretly to Megamek for a digital take on CBT.

SSW can also export to various other file formats and can even print off record sheets... not to mention there is a nice library of TRO's in there too.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostNimoStar, on 09 August 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Megamek, if you want a digital program that lets you build and play them digitally.

Specifically download Megamek HQ (so you can do the campaign).

Note: If you do civilian populations, have a separate "AI" dedicated for every 10 civilian units, to avoid AI crashes. Save frequently. AI is only allowed to have 128k memory dedicated to each.

Skunkwerks has the best mech builder. Second perhaps by Mech Factory, followed by Megamek's "Lab" (comes with Mek HQ as does Megamek itself don't download them separately just download Mek HQ).

If you want ideas, as well as some readily built civilian and police oriented stuff based on source material as well as some original stuff, let me know. I have a lot of them due to my obsessions.

(Highly recommend activating as many rules as compatible for the most immersive experience. You can pick and choose, of course. There's an Against the Bot option for campaigns, too. And finally, for the ultimate challenge, Megamek features "simultaneous" turns. Recommend learning how to play it prior to enabling simultaneous turns.)

Edited by Koniving, 13 January 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#33 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 29 June 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

I would suggest to read the Jade Phoenix trilogy before the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, as it will give you a better idea of Clan society, from training to castes to different combat Trials

Good idea. But I would read the last Jade Phoenix book before reading the last Blood of Kerensky book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users