Stock Clan Mechs

3 replies to this topic

#1 snake8eyes

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I've been really happy just running my clan mechs with stock loadouts, or very close to stock. For example, my timberwolf prime I just swap out the pulse laser for an extra heatsink and do really well with it. I'm really happy with the stock stormcrow prime too. I get about 3kills every match with it and around 500dmg. The timberwolf-s is a monster for me, doing 800~1000dmg every match. Almost stock, but I swap out the pulse lasers for three ERmed lasers and add some SRM ammo.

There are some really sucky clan loadouts too (all the D variants with only missiles come to mind), but the primes quite good (save maybe the Summoner prime)

What do all of you think? Is it just that the stock loadouts are really good for a lot of the clan mechs, or is it that they are so restrictive to customize that just rolling with stock is the easiest thing to do?

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Clan ‘Mechs are generally outfitted at the tip of their game. The Clans (usually) have a very definitive quality-over-quantity approach that the Inner Sphere most emphatically does not. It’s why most Clan ‘Mechs come with ES and FF stock, and all of them come with DHS. Clan MechWarriors govern the entire culture – why wouldn’t they tell their scientists to work on ‘Mechs that emphasize and support their skills to the best of their abilities?

The stock configurations are certainly useable on most of them, though a few configurations for the Clans have never made much sense for me given their general combat preferences – why do they even still have TAG, or NARC, or configurations designed for unit-based fire support? o_O Nevertheless, most Clan ‘Mechs are indeed perfectly workable stock. Low on ammo, as always, but that’s what you get with a culture full of duelists. I don’t use stock configurations myself, but that’s more because I’m an incurable tinkerer than for any particular reasons of badness. Heh, gotta own every machine I drive, and ya don’t own it till ya teak it.

#3 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I wouldn't say they're super restrictive, but the stock loadouts on some of them work very well. I still like the stock Warhawk (i removed the targeting computer until the patch).

Not really a fan of stock though on the Summoners, I run this (working on the XP for the D variant but I've run it on all 3)

SMN-D

Its odd, but balanced at all ranges, I can fire the ERPPC almost constantly , I average about 500+ damage with this. The ams half tons are so I dont lose as much ammunition from a sidetorso loss. Then again it fits my playstyle.

I also put 1 coolshot 9, and the AMS overload module on it.

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Nova and Stormcrow are both good in their stock Prime configs. Though the Nova requires a LOT of trigger discipline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users