Fall Damage

162 replies to this topic

#121 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostPygar, on 02 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

OK no, I've heard enough...if you guys were jumping off of stuff that was taller than your mech and not taking damage before somehow...I don't even know how, because it was damaging my mechs- but it's over, you can't just jump off of things like a fool and not expect leg damage.

Falling 5 meters hurts us now. Before, that wasn't the case. A Centurion is 14 meters tall. =/

Having leg damage from a big drop is fine.

Threshold is just set way too low right now.

#122 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 02 July 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Ok. Don't really care

Lol...wow...because only unsupported hypotheses and hand-picked statistics are allowed here?

#123 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

The canyon arguments make me laugh ....

You have a choice... stick in direct fire and take splatter damage or run off the side and take leg damage (option 3 which includes move but at a slower rate is left out due to complexity of the explanation... which is more a topic on playstyle)

#124 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostDraykin, on 01 July 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

Why should a 'Mech not take fall damage from a pilot controlling it? I can jump off a two-story building and be in complete control of my body, and I still break my legs. The legs are designed to move. A 'Mech cannot jump (at least very effectively, like a Tyrannosaurus jumping) without jump jets. Sure, it can drop from orbit... but so can a moon lander. And that only survives because the thrusters on it slow it down enough to where the impact is hardly anything. How are 'Mechs any different?

I have a funny example of this from tabletop (megamek).

I landed a Trebuchet on a building thinking I'd pull off the same crap on it as I would on MWO.
I got a warning about it, but I ignored it.
The building collapse underneath me. My Trebuchet fell 3 stories inside the 5 story tall building, the fall knocked my pilot unconscious and damaged the left leg, and destroyed the left arm (likely due to twisting at a weird angle). Note that Trebuchets, while tall for 50 ton mechs even in MWO lore, is still a lot shorter than MWO's height.

The Trebuchet never did get back up due to the Clan twin UAC/20s baring down on it afterward.

...later, my Kintaro tripped when running past the Trebuchet's wreckage, falling down and badly damaging itself.

---------

On another match, a one legged Griffin had to do piloting checks for jump jetting after losing one leg. Of the two attempts, the second attempt resulted in falling down. The pilot died inside during it.

#125 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

System is ok, needs tweaking, and is unfair on jumpjetless light mechs.

#126 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I seem to recall Sortek skydiving his Victor into a swamp from orbit chosing to 'land' face first without jumpjets as the best option and taking no damage in sword and dagger.

Now locusts take leg damage tripping over Buicks

what is the world comming to :)

#127 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Fell very little took TONS of damage on my atlas BH. Though it was K because noone legs atlases right?

#128 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 July 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

I have a funny example of this from tabletop (megamek).

I landed a Trebuchet on a building thinking I'd pull off the same crap on it as I would on MWO.
I got a warning about it, but I ignored it.
The building collapse underneath me. My Trebuchet fell 3 stories inside the 5 story tall building, the fall knocked my pilot unconscious and damaged the left leg, and destroyed the left arm (likely due to twisting at a weird angle). Note that Trebuchets, while tall for 50 ton mechs even in MWO lore, is still a lot shorter than MWO's height.

The Trebuchet never did get back up due to the Clan twin UAC/20s baring down on it afterward.

...later, my Kintaro tripped when running past the Trebuchet's wreckage, falling down and badly damaging itself.

---------

On another match, a one legged Griffin had to do piloting checks for jump jetting after losing one leg. Of the two attempts, the second attempt resulted in falling down. The pilot died inside during it.

Yup, BattleMechs =/= Gundams.

In table top there were all kinds of things that required "Piloting Skill" saving throws to avoid falling over, possibly damaging your mech and even your pilot...including any time you took over 20 points of ballistic damage in a turn (added difficulty for every 20 points).

#129 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Funnily enough part 2 is going to also demonstrate pretty clearly why the hill climbing on the ground pounders being so abysmal is laughable.

The problem is, is the height of falls that deal damage to your mech. (on Alpine there are falls that will deal around 50 percent armor damage)
I don't mind there being fall damage in the game (it's been there since beta), the problem is well.
part 2.... The Jump Jet..and how it makes a complete joke out of fall damage, and hill scaling!

Ground Mechs have been repeatedly kicked in the face in this game, between the hill climbing nerfs, the introduction of canyons in particular, and now the severe increase in fall damage.

Yet Jump Jet Mechs, which are and have been utterly dominant for more than the last year, have remained relatively unscathed. THAT is why this patch is so awful, "but you SHOULD take damage from a fall! REALIZM!!!!" yeah no. At some point Game Balance has to come into play, ground pounders have had it rough for so long already, with the myriad of terrain climbing disadvantages alone, this was just another kick in the teeth for ground mechs, that was totally unnecessary. The worst part is, if you read the patch notes, it's pretty clear PGI was aiming for jump jet mechs in this change. It had nothing to do with a desire for further realism.

I miss feathered once (i'm drunk so sue me) but I think it's pretty obvious why this is stupid.
With a BARE MINIMUM of effort, (and a serious state of inebriation of it's pilot) a JJ mech can mitigate fall damage, which means it will survive longer in combat over all, over the long haul. Not only this, but it's always been able to deliver it's damage more quickly and readily on multi elevation maps such as canyons, compared to a ground pounder, to such an extent there's no comparison what so ever in their overall mobility. Even though one moves at 95 and the other at 96.

Edited by Mavairo, 02 July 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#130 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Why JJ still no haz heat?

It should be 1 heat per JJ on the mech, per second active....yes sir. Then let see dem poptarts quad fire PPC and JJ lol. Paired with fall damage...

#131 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

OK. What would be an *unacceptable* fall damage threshold for some of you folks?

5 meters is apparently OK for some of you. What about 3 meters? What if PGI went full-ret@rd and made fall damage threshold 1 meter?

Would you still be saying "L2P"?

Where do you draw the line?

#132 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 02 July 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

System is ok, needs tweaking, and is unfair on jumpjetless light mechs.

Used to leap off cliffs like this.

Honestly, when leaping off most ledges you can press X (all stop) to reduce the damage you take on the landing.
Or you can be more careful when going downhill like here.
-------
However, having tried a jumpjet mech at 90 tons, I stopped all potential damage by hitting the thrusters just two seconds before hitting the ground, by spamming the space button 3 times (I did brace the legs by doing a full stop as well using the X key).

It takes a bit too little to counter the fall damage.

Edited by Koniving, 02 July 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#133 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostYueFei, on 02 July 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

The *only* thing Fall Damage Overhaul should've tried to do was make fall damage *proportionately* damaging to Light mechs. As in, you fall and hit the ground at X speed, you suffer Y *percentage* of damage to your legs. Instead of just having everyone take the same flat amount of damage, which was a greater percentage of a Light mech's leg health.

Dude bother dude.. It was PGI's fail the moment they thought the 20 TON difference between weight classes did not matter for the damage calculations.

#134 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostPygar, on 02 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

OK no, I've heard enough...if you guys were jumping off of stuff that was taller than your mech and not taking damage before somehow...I don't even know how, because it was damaging my mechs- but it's over, you can't just jump off of things like a fool and not expect leg damage.

No it was more like we fell down "cliffs" that were so small that a trained commando (a human on foot- not the mech :)) could have taken the fall and only been winded (thanks to knowing how to tuck and roll), which resulted in damage to our precious leg armor.

Now we're going to end up like Joker from Mass effect.

#135 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I have not had a chance to play t the new patch, what happened to the "1 full second airborne" rule, this alone should exclude all but the most self destructive non-jumpjet pilots.

#136 headbasher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

My main problem with this is to me it seems they could have spent their time better elsewhere.

I'm not a poptarter but I took my Cata 3D out and did some and it didnt seem to really affect me . Wasn't this mainly to combat poptarting?

#137 Dyex

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I guess I am ok with this fall damage change making fall damage scale with size of mech but the Shock Absorbance module change from 80% to 35% for lights is garbage. My light moves almost 40% faster then most medium so when you go down any steep hill you get more air time = more damage. Yet the difference is 5% between the lights and mediums... Large mechs pretty much just slide down hills, poptarting is not affected by this change. Give me back 80% reduced fall damage for light much *with out* jump jets that is what the module was made for in my opinion.

#138 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Actually it is broken and it needs more work
we need another system like this but not this, it's all worked in one way and unpolished in the next it could use work because i jumped high off the mountain in alpine and landed straight on the flat ground with only light damage
i should have gotten red armor or more instead of yellow

#139 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 02 July 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Actually it is broken and it needs more work
we need another system like this but not this, it's all worked in one way and unpolished in the next it could use work because i jumped high off the mountain in alpine and landed straight on the flat ground with only light damage
i should have gotten red armor or more instead of yellow

It's not broken *facepalm* haha

#140 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

After getting to play a bit myself, I'm happy to see the fall damage is not as bad as it was on the PTS. I can fall off the middle shelf near the river in Canyon with a light and take minimal damage...with 12 such jumps, my leg armor was only orange, where before I was legged at that point on the PTS even using the Shock Absorb module. Feathering the fall with jets totally negates the damage, so another benefit for JJ mechs. Now, with my Victor, I could poptart so that my arms reached above the height of a rock or building that was slightly taller than my mech (which covered me from enemy fire) and fall without feathering and still took no damage. The vertical velocity meter got close to 30, but not quite. Poptarting and JJs are still king, just as the OP said they would be...:unsure:

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users