New Maps And A Mech

5 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

Your lava map negatively affects energy weapons use and your ice map helps energy weapons use. <heat management> Thumbs up!

Now how about a high gravity map to negatively affect ballistic weapons distance and a light or no gravity map to help ballistic weapons distance. <and/or heat generation>

And/or you can mix or match...high gravity lava...low gravity ice...high gravity ice...low gravity lava.

Just a few suggestions.

Also...missiles are a part of the game and srm boats and lrm boats are well designed and well played.

They should not be nerfed. It's time to stop messing around with missiles and start letting the players get creative.

If you offer us a "Point Defense" mech I'm sure that will get all missile boat commanders attention.

How about a light mech that can can load out 4 ams's?

It could move quickly from area to area providing ams coverage.

To be fair you could finish its loadout with small lasers, machine guns or a pair of med laser so it isn't overpowered.

Thanks for your game.. Despite my suggestions I really enjoy what it is right now!

Edited by Stab Wound, 01 July 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Gravity affecting Ballistics sounds sort of a difficult thing to program, what with change in Physics and all. Of course I don't actually know, I'm not a programmer, I just assume it would be difficult. It's a cool idea though, I mean, of course more gravity would have an effect on weapons. With that in mind, would mechs also move slower since the engines would have to work harder to keep moving? It's all very interesting.

Edited by Stingray1234, 01 July 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#3 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Greetings all,

PGI has stated they have some difficulty in coding objects to support different amounts of gravity.

- All items, objects, terrain, have settings within the engine for gravity.
- Matching this for everything globally may/can change quite a few of the standard multi referenced objects that are pulled together from the library for the different maps.
- Issues with low gravity and light Mech's with max JJ's could see them 'launched' into something the game could not handle.
- Issues with coding the flight path's of Missiles in different gravities, and it's effect on speed, turning and kinetic/impulse energy.

Weapons that have ballistic ammo are already coded to have a set reaction to gravity, this is included in each items CryEngine parameters.

Reference the Mech's and there response to high/low gravity. These machines are designed to operate in zero G's, vacuum or even underwater, and can have specialized add-on components that allow for movement in these environments. But within the game it would require completely different coding and reactions for operating believably in these conditions.

- So basically, everything would need to be redesigned to work in altered gravity. And I can see where PGI's preference to looking any further into this is currently 'way back on the burner'. As there designers and artists get better with producing maps and areas we can battle in perhaps some time can be spent in researching everything that would be needed to accomplish gravity changes. Just the network traffic code between the server and client to 'guess' where objects are suddenly needs a whole different Newtonian model.

But the game is still young, so lots of time to look into this. There was even talk from the Dev.'s of an asteroid or small orbital location for a future map, so perhaps there is some background work being done.

9erRed

#4 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

View Post9erRed, on 01 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Greetings all,

PGI has stated they have some difficulty in coding objects to support different amounts of gravity.

well there you go, I was sure the programming would be difficult, nice to have another post that backs me up :)

#5 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

Gravity should be trivial to code. Seriously what the hell? It should just be a multiplier on existing values... Gravity would be a great to have aneeffect on JJ falling damage as well as weapons. I'd love to see atmosphere added toodify the range of lrm (air resistance). Really make the variables feel like real variables.

#6 Valten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Side note, the Kit Fox does a great job of mimicking your point defense mech with 3 AMS and ECM. Add the AMS overload module and it's ridiculous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users