Gravity, Fall Speed Units, And Some Of The Implications Thereof

No replies to this topic

#1 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

For science's sake (and because I'm bored) I checked independently to see how things are scale-wise etc.

Because I could, I started off assuming that grid units (f9) were in meters, and fall velocity was displayed correctly in feet. I ran off various bridges, buildings, and cliffs to find g (recorded change in height and final velocity). Oddly enough, that gives me a g value of 2.6m/s2

I also tested the f9 unit height of an atlas, and found ~17.

I then went ahead and attempted to test whether grid units are in meters. To do so, I shot something 540m away on the x axis, confirmed that that was the max range, then checked the location of the target and my firing position. Indeed, grid units matched up.[/color]

So this is what we're left with:[/color]

Option 1: Everything is in feet regardless of whether the game says feet or meters, the vertical units displayed by f9 are the same as horizontal units for distance, and we have a 17-19 foot tall atlas.[/color]

Option 2: All grid units are in meters, fall speed is in feet as claimed, gravity is a mere 2.6m/s2 and we're all just perceiving time all wrong in the game to account for the perceived not many seconds long fall time. For example, jumping off an atlas, at about 20 "meters" with the low gravity calculated using the units they gave should result in almost four "seconds" of falling.

Option 3: For some reason, horizontal grid units and vertical grid units are not the same distance. If horizontal grid units are in meters, and vertical grid units are in feet, we can say that gravity is about right. The catch here is that an atlas is still about 17 feet tall, and we're all just imagining that it isn't hilariously squat. In reality, the atlas is about as wide as it is tall, if not wider, so stop imagining it all wrong. Gravity in this world is about equal to Earth's (BT Lore fail, I mean Terra).

Option 4: This is the best one, probably. Everything is in meters, including the fall speed which shows a display of ft/s incorrectly. An atlas is appropriately 17 meters tall or so, and weapon range is correct. In this world, gravity is about 3x earth's gravity at ~30m/s2. I'm assuming people are just really fit in a DBZ sort of way to cope. This way, we're not tiny and we can as a bonus percieve space and time without odd dimensional distortion hand waving.

TL;DR gravity is high in MWO and ft/s fall speeds is an illusion--it's secretly in m/s

Edited by solar levitas, 02 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users