#41 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostThe Wakelord, on 03 July 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

Normally 6ERML, 6ERSL, 4MG. I'd be the first to agree it punches well above its weight (I'm not complaining), even with the clan-style low slung arms and chunky hitboxes.

I tried this build, and you still need to use some fire discipline.

I went out on my frist go, and accidently alpha'd and shut myself down. So, while it packs a punch, it's more like a one-two punch and fade to me, anyways.

#42 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

ah mine is setup the same way ;) I didn't like the short range of all ERSLs. (and I did the same alpha with a long shut down till I clued in that the ERSLs and ERMLs share ghost heat :P )
That build does run hot though yeah... the 12 ERSL build runs a lot cooler but lacks the range.

I think the 12 laser Nova though does make the clan lasers feel a bit overpowered as it really hurts when it hits... sorta like the Direwolf build that people are complaining about...

I think on the builds with only a few the damage may be ok... I am still on the fence though on the ranges as some of the maps are feeling a bit too small for the ranges we are seeing...

Edited by Jeb, 03 July 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#43 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostThe Wakelord, on 03 July 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is great thanks.

The conclusions I draw from this (and gameplay) seem to be:

- Clan lasers are OP. Yes, in theory balanced, but in a medium mech I usually get 300-400 in a game. When I'm playing my Nova I've gotten over 1,000 twice (previous high score was 620). I'm not a great gamer by any means, so my max damage can be doubled, then a skilled player should be able to do much better. Afterall, isn't everyone saying clans require skill to play?
- IS ballistics are generally superior for their single hit (I miss so often due to mech going into cover etc while using the spray). & lower cooldown Clan ballistics can be useful in that some damage can be applied when spraying for a light, etc.
- Clan LRM are more scary when you get hit by them (and you can get hit with LOTS of them), but with cover and/or AMS they are less scary than IS. So each is balanced with pro/con to me.
- IS SRM are generally better, unless you are playing a lighter mech where tonnage makes a huge deal (ie: kitfox & commander), where clan SRM are suddenly awesome.
- Clan SSRM is very mixed due to massive cooldown (7 sec) making it terrible for brawling, and the lock-on requirement making it hard for cover fighitng.

Overall, I die quicker and do more damage as a Clan mech, but I survive a heck of a lot longer in IS mechs. Both are great fun, but I only play on the lighter half of the weight balance.

Totally disagree about Clan Lasers except maybe the C-ER ML. Aside from that one, all of them seem inferior to IS variants in practical gameplay.

The reason people will typically see more damage on a clan mech is due to the spread of damage. Nothing gets concentrated but you sure as hell will strip off armor all over the enemy mechs which inflates your damage numbers. However, stripping armor off every single surface of the enemy mech doesn't mean diddly squat if you can't concentrate that damage and core him and put him out of the fight.

People have to look beyond the spreadsheets and numbers and actually evaluate what actually happens during a match. This means in order for someone to evaluate Clan mechs and weapons, you have to actually use clan mechs and weapons. After using them, sure your going find some outstanding examples and builds just like yo do with IS mechs, but overall, they don't stand out as being more effective overall than IS mechs.

#44 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Postbluepiglet, on 03 July 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

Start your own thread if you want to discuss engines or anything else.

Nothing to see here, mods please lock this topic as a duplicate to the other 3000+ QQ threads. There is no information provided here that is relevant or contributes to any meaningful discussion.

As for the rest of you, learn not to feed the trolls...

#45 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 03 July 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

People have to look beyond the spreadsheets and numbers and actually evaluate what actually happens during a match ...

But that's what spreadsheet warriors do, and their spreadsheets are never wrong. ;)

View PostGyrok, on 03 July 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

As for the rest of you, learn not to feed the trolls...

Too late. :P

Edited by Mystere, 03 July 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#46 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

So,I was curious, bored, and had nothing better to do so here you go:
A comprehensive comparison of Innersphere vs Clan Weapons, with slot and tonnage comparisons too.
Posted Image

#47 DYSEQTA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 347 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

View PostThe Wakelord, on 03 July 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

Normally 6ERML, 6ERSL, 4MG. I'd be the first to agree it punches well above its weight (I'm not complaining), even with the clan-style low slung arms and chunky hitboxes.

Yeah the trick for people facing it is to not get punched. The Nova is a squishy mech thanks to it's massive profile. Treat it like a miniature Direwolf. Attack it from anywhere but head-on.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users