Playing With 2 To 4 Friends Is Now Very Harsh

96 replies to this topic

#1 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

I play mostly either solo or with 2 to 4 friends.

The solo matchmaker changes seem pretty good all round but the experience playing with 1 or 2 other friends is really harsh.

Just about every match is pitched versus a 12 man group and they are almost all stomps.

Already one of my friends who plays alot more than I do has quit to play something else 'for probably a very long time' due to the changes that have seen him getting rolled by 12 mans so much it's taken away any joy in playing.

As a small group of friends who get together to play semi-regularly the new match maker seems to be penalising 2-4 friends over any other group.

I'm quite amazed there are actually that many 12 mans operating. That's really encouraging but if there are that many can't they have their own queue like before and leave small groups of friends to play at a level they can at least expect 50/50 win/loss?

Karl Berg if you are reading this then I think there needs to be a middle queue for the small groups and 12 mans should go back to running against other 12 mans. Surely the intention wasnt to make playing with 1 friend so off putting as to stop them playing the game entirely?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

>every match is against a 12 man.

Posted Image

#3 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 03 July 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

>every match is against a 12 man.

Posted Image

...Just about...

#4 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostAphoticus, on 03 July 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

...Just about...

The small groups don't get matched against 12 manz, so it's impossible.

#5 Paikanx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 03 July 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

I respectfully disagree.

From the patch note:
  • "Groups of 2 to 4: Groups of 2 to 4 will be matched up in the Solo players queue or the group queue".
  • "Groups 5 to 10 and 12: Larger groups now will be dropping in the group queue".

So yes it can happened and yes, most of the time it's a stomp.

Edited by Paikanx, 03 July 2014 - 05:18 AM.

#6 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

Maybe it's just playing in a group against other groups is harder than what you're used to, group vs pugs?
The premade boogie man is now the 12 man boogie man.

Or, the more people that are communicating with each other effects the match greatly, which is why this MM was needed in the first place, which may have been better solved with VoIP?

Grouping too hard? Run solo or find a 12 man.

Don't want to run solo or find a 12 man but don't want it to be difficult? Asking too much.

#7 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

So, in order to make the MM quicker; if a match comes up that a 2-4 cannot get into the solo queue with an equally matched group, it drops with other small groups against the 12 man.

And, it probably does this in preference to the solo queue to fill those gaps.

I personally would like (I do not play groups); but if you're a 2 man then only Solo; anything greater, the above mechanics seems fair. I'd even say 2-3 as a full lance going into the Group Queue makes more sense than just 3 to avoid odd numbers.

Edited by Aphoticus, 03 July 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#8 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

I experienced something similar to jozkhan yesterday. Currently I play a lot with a real life friend of mine, and before yesterday i mostly landed about 350-600dmg with roughly 2kills per match. Yesterday i saw more 12:0/12:1 then in the last months and was on the receiving end of many steam-rolls. My KDR yesterday must have been something about 0.2 and when i exceeded 200dmg i was lucky... Maybe i had a bad day, and was unlucky, but i haven't seen so many coordinated opponents in my entire MWO career up to now...

Yeah i know, stop bitching and learn to play the game... I am a cassual player, and don't have the time to strive for more.

Edit: I don't wonna complain. I'm just agreeing that playing 2man has become very frustrating at times. I will adapt.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 03 July 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

It's a crapshoot now. Just before the patch a solo player could drop and find 12 PuGs on the other team, a bunch of PuGs and a group, a few PuGs and two groups or multiple small groups. Horrifically, it was possible that the groups you were facing started out or ended up on the same TeamSpeak channel. I know... I've seen it happen. How is that situation different from post patch, where you can find yourself as a solo player or group player facing all the above scenarios, except now full twelve man groups are in the mix? You know sync drops have happened before, so this is simply a continuation of the norm, but more organized!

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Its only a problem when a 2-4 get dropped in a group match against a 12man but still play like they're going pugging. You know, like going off to die on their own, walking straight up to the center of the map single file, that kind of thing. Yes this happened to me once yesterday, but I couldn't get mad at the 12man for stomping us, I was mad that our team straight up played like pugs, got ourselves completely surrounded in the middle of the map, closed in, herded. Pugged.

#11 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 03 July 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

I experienced something similar to jozkhan yesterday. Currently I play a lot with a real life friend of mine, and before yesterday i mostly landed about 350-600dmg with roughly 2kills per match. Yesterday i saw more 12:0/12:1 then in the last months and was on the receiving end of many steam-rolls. My KDR yesterday must have been something about 0.2 and when i exceeded 200dmg i was lucky... Maybe i had a bad day, and was unlucky, but i haven't seen so many coordinated opponents in my entire MWO career up to now...

Yeah i know, stop bitching and learn to play the game... I am a cassual player, and don't have the time to strive for more.

All of my old buddies came back to play now that we can actually drop together.

#12 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

Its more difficult yes. But if I'm dropping in a group I want a challenge.

Its funny. Solo players complained about groups stomping them. Groups said learn to play. Now groups are dropping against bigger groups and are complaining about getting stomped. Pretty hilarious.

#13 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostRangerGee412, on 03 July 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

Its more difficult yes. But if I'm dropping in a group I want a challenge.

Its funny. Solo players complained about groups stomping them. Groups said learn to play. Now groups are dropping against bigger groups and are complaining about getting stomped. Pretty hilarious.

Yep, I'm enjoying that as well.

It's got to be really frustrating to go from pug-stomping one day to being stomped the next. I wish I could say I feel for them, but I really don't. Welcome to the wonderful world of PGI "balance."

#14 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

The Kell Hounds dropped last night starting in a 3-man. By the end of the night, our last 4-5 matches were as a 10-man, as people came online.

The 2-mans we got paired up with were happy to have a full 10-man to tag along with, that coordinated well together. We won most of those games (we had one where we got rolled 12-1 lol)...and sometimes they even said "thanks."

What's wrong with a casual 2-man getting paired with a 10-man that knows what it's doing and types out their plan in chat?

Nothing, in my eyes. It's a bonus for the 2-man that they aren't grouped with idiots.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 03 July 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#15 Haxburch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 206 posts
  • LocationGermany / Düsseldorf

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

Learn to play, you 2-4 groups !

Edited by Haxburch, 03 July 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#16 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Im mad because i used to be able to sealclub solopug players but now im the one being clubbed!! From a solopug player thats about all im hearing from op.

#17 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 03 July 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:

The Kell Hounds dropped last night starting in a 3-man. By the end of the night, our last 4-5 matches were as a 10-man, as people came online.

The 2-mans we got paired up with were happy to have a full 10-man to tag along with, that coordinated well together. We won those games...and sometimes they even said "thanks."

What's wrong with a casual 2-man getting paired with a 10-man that knows what it's doing and types out their plan in chat?

Nothing, in my eyes. It's a bonus for the 2-man that they aren't grouped with idiots.

Are we are to magically know that the other players are in a single group, or do you suggest each player ask in every single match "hey, is the rest of my team a single group so we can co-ordinate a stately battle plan?"

I play solo, or groups 2-4. The only time I know before the match starts that I'm not in a PUG is when an entire lance is a single faction.

#18 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 03 July 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

You are joking, Right?

#19 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostThe Wakelord, on 03 July 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I play solo, or groups 2-4. The only time I know before the match starts that I'm not in a PUG is when an entire lance is a single faction.

And of course - that could just be a fluke.

#20 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 03 July 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

It's a crapshoot now. Just before the patch a solo player could drop and find 12 PuGs on the other team, a bunch of PuGs and a group, a few PuGs and two groups or multiple small groups. Horrifically, it was possible that the groups you were facing started out or ended up on the same TeamSpeak channel. I know... I've seen it happen. How is that situation different from post patch, where you can find yourself as a solo player or group player facing all the above scenarios, except now full twelve man groups are in the mix? You know sync drops have happened before, so this is simply a continuation of the norm, but more organized!

As a solo player you will only ever find 1 group of 4 or less on the other side matched with the same on your team. Much better. As a small group player you may need a few days/weeks to adjust both your Elo and playstyle because what the small groups were doing in the solo queue the larger groups are now doing in the group queue

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users