Playing With 2 To 4 Friends Is Now Very Harsh

96 replies to this topic

#81 lostcause

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

LOL i find if ******* hysterical that the groups are bitching about getting stomped,was perfecly fine when they were stomping pugs to get easy cbils ay LOL.

#82 Cord78

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postlostcause, on 03 July 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

LOL i find if ******* hysterical that the groups are bitching about getting stomped,was perfecly fine when they were stomping pugs to get easy cbils ay LOL.

So True! :)

Played last night in a 6-9 man group; sometimes we got stomped HARD by a 12 man and sometimes we did the stomping. Something to keep in mind is that the patch JUST came out so probably not a large number of groups playing at any one time. In the hour or so I played last night in a large group we ended up playing against the Lords at least once and another really good 12 man twice.

It happens, I think as more people start playing in groups it will balance out. Might just take a while for people to get used to the new group MM functions.

But I agree with lost cause, I think some people are complaining now because they are no longer having easy pug stomps or are not used to getting stomped by other teams. Its a brave new world haha!

#83 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Played solo last night, with a 6 man, with a 5 man, and with 4 and then 2 of us.

Didn't really notice a big shift in wins or losses depending on my group size. Some great matches, some bad ones, as usual...

I wouldn't call it harsh at all

#84 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Let me see if I understand this right:

-First people complained because they couldn't play with more than 3 friends at a time. Now that they have gotten what they asked for, they are upset because they have to play together with other people also getting to play with their friends?

Sorry if I sound uncaring, but man it seems some people will complain about anything.

#85 Lucy Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

The solo experience definitely feels a lot better. I only PUG, so this change has been great for me.

#86 lostcause

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostCord78, on 03 July 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

So True! :)

Played last night in a 6-9 man group; sometimes we got stomped HARD by a 12 man and sometimes we did the stomping. Something to keep in mind is that the patch JUST came out so probably not a large number of groups playing at any one time. In the hour or so I played last night in a large group we ended up playing against the Lords at least once and another really good 12 man twice.

It happens, I think as more people start playing in groups it will balance out. Might just take a while for people to get used to the new group MM functions.

But I agree with lost cause, I think some people are complaining now because they are no longer having easy pug stomps or are not used to getting stomped by other teams. Its a brave new world haha!

yup iv seen so many post like this since the patch and it balls down to there not as good as they thought they were, its easy to go up against a random group and farm easy cbils now they cant,there put on an even playing field and dont like it all i can say to those ppl is hows the taste of your own medicine hope you choke :(.

#87 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

As a former, "Big bad 4man group player," you'd be surprised how often 4man groups were paired against another 4man, or if you had two 4mans, how often the other team had two 4mans.

Even when there's a competitive, high Elo 4man premade on one side, there's often another competitive, high Elo 4man premade on the other side (Ex: One side has a premade of SJR, the other side has a premade of Lords).

The result of this was that 4mans didn't very rarely got matched against teams without an equal number of groups. As a 4man player we rarely had opportunities to stomp teams of pugs. We'd lose just as often as we won, and there was almost always an equal premade on the other side that preventing our group from having any kind of advantage.

With the new matchmaker however, now we can actually game the system to work to our advantage by dropping as anything between a 9-12 man group. More often than not we'll be matched with teams that have nothing bigger than a 4man group.

Anybody who played 4mans before can testify that it rarely (almost never) gave them an advantage over the other team.

But everybody here is so blinded by hatred of groups in general that I guess there's no other way to make the problems with the new matchmaker more clear than to just simply keep running 9-12mans. What's that? Want to play with a family member or friend as a 2man? Have a 12-0 stomp courtesy of Clan Wolf Alpha! Hope you enjoy the next game against a group of 10 Lords, and the next game against an 8man from Clan Wolf Delta. We'll give you a nice break and a balanced game after that, then hand you over to a premade of SJR, followed by a premade of HHoD.

Thanks for helping improve our stats! Hope you and your buddy stop by to play with us more often!

#88 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

The worst thing about this game is that solo players have had to put up with a dire MM since its inception , now they have re-vamped the MM but all the love has gone to groups yet again, almost like PGI are catering purely for groups and not even really thinking about the solo players.

It's not even like they have a dynamic game here or anything, if anything it rapidly gets boring as you continually see pretty mush the same game playing out on every map.... no problem there for me though , plenty of new maps to play on !

#89 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

One of my friends who's new to the game pointed out to me that this also hurts new players or when older players bring in new players. You drop with a friend who's a noob to show him the ropes and help them get used to the game and suddenly 12 man steamroller o doom-a-thon night. Not the best way to bring in a new player or two.

Maybe what we really need is a rated bracket and an unrated bracket like starcraft has. Sure the unrated would still have some sort of MMR, but on the rated people could earn ranks that would be nice bling for the effort of being "rated". Then we'll know which 12s are Good players rather than just pug stompers in the unrated system.

#90 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostFiremage, on 03 July 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

One of my friends who's new to the game pointed out to me that this also hurts new players or when older players bring in new players. You drop with a friend who's a noob to show him the ropes and help them get used to the game and suddenly 12 man steamroller o doom-a-thon night. Not the best way to bring in a new player or two.3

And the odds of that happening are exceedingly slim.

People act like this happens frequently, and it does not.

#91 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEverywhere at once.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

One of my friends who's new to the game pointed out to me that this also hurts new players or when older players bring in new players. You drop with a friend who's a noob to show him the ropes and help them get used to the game and suddenly 12 man steamroller o doom-a-thon night. Not the best way to bring in a new player or two.

This....new players = new fresh wallets.

#92 CrimsonBinome

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hello everyone,

Just going to throw my hat into the pile. I queue with one other person, both of us are fairly new at the game. Mistakes are often made.

In the last two days, we've been victim to complete stomps most of the time. Prior to the match making patch, the games we queue'd into were quite even, loss/victory wise. I have no sound numbers, but out of perhaps...35 games, I would say perhaps we've won 4? Not exactly encouraging.

I don't wish to be a bother, but our fun level has been completely crushed since the patch. Annoyed groans and heads colliding with desks have replaced cheers and laughs (dramatic!).

#93 Caviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

You drop with a friend who's a noob to show him the ropes and help them get used to the game and suddenly 12 man steamroller o doom-a-thon night. Not the best way to bring in a new player or two.

Only 10% of matches yesterday were 12 pilot groups vs multi-group matches according to Bryan. Unless you had exceedingly bad luck to the point of statistical impossibility, you were just playing against good groups.

#94 Squarebasher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

View Postjozkhan, on 03 July 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

I play mostly either solo or with 2 to 4 friends.

The solo matchmaker changes seem pretty good all round but the experience playing with 1 or 2 other friends is really harsh.

Just about every match is pitched versus a 12 man group and they are almost all stomps.

Already one of my friends who plays alot more than I do has quit to play something else 'for probably a very long time' due to the changes that have seen him getting rolled by 12 mans so much it's taken away any joy in playing.

As a small group of friends who get together to play semi-regularly the new match maker seems to be penalising 2-4 friends over any other group.

I'm quite amazed there are actually that many 12 mans operating. That's really encouraging but if there are that many can't they have their own queue like before and leave small groups of friends to play at a level they can at least expect 50/50 win/loss?

Karl Berg if you are reading this then I think there needs to be a middle queue for the small groups and 12 mans should go back to running against other 12 mans. Surely the intention wasnt to make playing with 1 friend so off putting as to stop them playing the game entirely?

Totally agree wit the above post.

#95 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostCaviel, on 03 July 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Only 10% of matches yesterday were 12 pilot groups vs multi-group matches according to Bryan.  Unless you had exceedingly bad luck to the point of statistical impossibility, you were just playing against good groups.
Maybe it was just bad luck, and it wasn't just 12s of course it was 10s and 8+ groups and it often felt like the 2 of us were the only two people with any idea of how to work together. (While said friend is new to MWO he's a decently gamer and we've been playing games for 10 odd years)I'm not saying the new match maker needs to be tossed, but i do think it needs tuning and tweaking to get it working better and more fair to small groups.

#96 Caviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostFiremage, on 03 July 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

Maybe it was just bad luck, and it wasn't just 12s of course it was 10s and 8+ groups and it often felt like the 2 of us were the only two people with any idea of how to work together. (While said friend is new to MWO he's a decently gamer and we've been playing games for 10 odd years)I'm not saying the new match maker needs to be tossed, but i do think it needs tuning and tweaking to get it working better and more fair to small groups.

I agree, let's all remember that it is only day 2 after the first implementation too :)

#97 vesarius6

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 03 July 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

The small groups don't get matched against 12 manz, so it's impossible.

What's it like being wrong all the time?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users