23 replies to this topic

#21 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

3/3/3/3 Rule isn't perfect due to the chances of groups differing... so you may end up having a 12man Drop which has to follow the 4x3 Rule, but say that 12man team is put against 3 4man teams, they are not exactly limited to the 3/3/3/3 as the 12man team is. This can prove to be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the teams ability to work together and communicate on some level. That being said... it's a big improvement from matches I've been playing since they changed the Match Making setup over the last few months.

#22 Cervantes88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

If you're getting less stomps your elo hasn't gone up. It has gone down. I wish mine would but even though I play like once every month, I still drop in games with/against HoL or CSJ premades :|

#23 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostMalineczka, on 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Then again - why the rule is enforced in premade groups, when in the actual game it can still be broken? But whatever really. I still don't understand how 2 Atlases in one team stacked against 2 Dire Wolves in the other team are "balanced" for example.

Regards.

I do understand what you are getting at. This is my take on it (take it with a grain of salt):

When creating a match from pre-made groups, enforcing 4x3 is easier as the players themselves are enforcing the rule. In other words, there is a basic level of coordination between all of players in the group. This gives you an entirely different problem to solve than the solo queue.

When you enter into the solo queue, there is no coordination between everyone wanting to drop at the time. There is essentially a random sampling of players in different mechs. Lately when I've taken a peek at wait times, the percentages favor the heavier classes. That is, there are for more people wanting to drop in heavy or assault mechs than mediums or lights. The matchmaker has no control over who is currently wanting to drop in what, and must work with the pool of players/mechs it has available. In order to keep wait times as low as possible, the matchmaker will compromise on the rule and allow for slightly different team compositions.

So to get back to what you were saying: The rule can be enforced more strictly with the group queue because groups are inherently self enforcing. The solo queue has no way of doing this other than to inform players that there are less of a particular weight class queued up and wait time will be shorter if they play that class. In short, the reason the rule is broken more often for solo drops is because players (as in, everyone wanting to drop at a particular time, not an individual) deterministically break it themselves. Regardless, I think it's doing a pretty good job even if it isn't perfect.

I also agree that a Dire Wolf doesn't necessarily equal an Atlas. However, as there is no other currently implemented reasonable means for determining the "worth" of a mech in MWO, PGI is using what they can: the weight classes. While a Dire Wolf and an Atlas may vary wildly in terms of their capabilities/battlefield roles, they are both technically assaults and I think that's the best we are going to do unless something changes.

View PostCervantes88, on 03 July 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

If you're getting less stomps your elo hasn't gone up. It has gone down. I wish mine would but even though I play like once every month, I still drop in games with/against HoL or CSJ premades :|

You're probably right on the money about my ELO~ experimenting with new homebrew Clan builds hasn't done anything for my performance lately :)

Edited by DustySkunk, 03 July 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#24 Shimmering Sword

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Take note that with the new system of reducing the number of groups in the solo queue, a groups ability to "stomp" in a game has now been replaced by a higher chance for solo players to "throw" the game.

As a group player, pre-patch I would attribute wins and losses more toward the skill of the solo players, as 2-4 of them being bad will cause you to lose. Yes a group helps a team (if the group is good), but that group is not the only decider.

So, enjoy having noobs and rambo players continue to ruin solo games :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users