63 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Seriously, remove all fall damage.

The only way to kill yourself should be from overheating.

Instead:-------

Lets use the collision or knockdown animations that are already in the game.

For those that don't remember being knocked down, tips your mech over and you lose control. It takes like 5 seconds to get back up again.

The way it would work -

Same triggers for fall damage now apply to to knockdown or piloting check so to speak.

30 m/s fall speed
1 second of being airborne

At the bare minimum of the above you have a % chance of falling down. Like 5% at the very minimum. The farther you fall from the greater the % chance of being knocked down.

At a certain height or m/s speed you will automatically fall down.

This allows mechs to be penalized for pushing their machines too hard or not buffering their landings with jumpjets, BUT it's up to the enemy team to take advantage of you be knocked down. But even with all the reckless piloting you can still only kill yourself by willfully overheating yourself.

Now the only potential problem to this solution is if PGI "Didn't" create fall animations for the new mechs. The fall animations are in for all the older mechs but newer ones are a mystery right now. Technically they should still be there since the mantra "Collisions are coming back" have been the official word, but no idea if they are or not in the rush to push clans out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
At the very least instead of the silly m/s scale

Posted Image

As shown here

Why not give us icons for when we are in danger of taking damage, or in my case: falling.

Posted Image Risk of falling, slight damage

Posted Image Definitely falling, lots of damage.

Why the falling over damage?

Because it's more core battletech. Good pilots are determined by their gunner and not their piloting. Ending the match with less leg damage isn't a determining factor for being a good pilot.

And you should be penalized for being a reckless pilot. You jump snipe up too far without buffering your fall, you should take the face plant and be penalized for several seconds as you mech gets up.

You go rocketing off the side of a mountain trying to chase that light without jumpjets? Enjoy your faceplant sir.

But taking damage is a silly way to do things. It penalizes the mechs without jumpjets more than it does the mechs with and the light mechs can't afford anymore leg damage.

In a universe where mguns only go 200m and a flamer can't light a BBQ I am fine with not taking damage from falling to far. But the face plant is far more obviously penalizing and more rewarding when you avoid it.

Bring back piloting skill.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 03 July 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#2 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

There's always one.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Pretty sure there should be many ways to kill yourself. An uncushioned fall from 30 meters? Bad things happen to heavy equipment, more so to the soft meat inside. Go run an Abrams tank off a cliff and tell me how that worked out.

Jumping off the hill in Alpine, or the 30 meter ledge in Jenner Alley on Frozen, shouldn't just damage you, but kill you, technically.

Just sayin'.

#4 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

No. Fall damage is one of the many great things teh devs have added in the past few patches. Since the clans the game has rocked. Going back is a terrible idea.

#5 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Bahahahahaha

#6 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Fall damage should go away, but the pilot inside should suffer internal hemmoraghing and die slowly...

"Internal bleeding detected...you have...1 minute to live"

Edited by shad0w4life, 03 July 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#7 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

*shrug*

I dunno, man, I'm not having any problem with the fall damage and I pretty much play jump mechs exclusively...for the maneuverability.

Now, granted, I'm not a new player that's unable to navigate while completely zoomed in. I've been playing the MW series since MW2. I know how to feather my jets to make the landing softer and I invested in the nifty module they came out with for it.

But, I can definitely see where you're coming from. This completely handicaps the poptart meta builds. I lost count of the number of Victors, Cataphracts and Highlanders I've seen jump up and down, only to crush their own legs.

Hate to say it, but feathering your jets isn't hard. If I can do it, anyone can. If they choose not to, oh well.

It's a learning curve thing. I'm sure PGI will cover jumping in their tutorial very soon. Right after they address heat management in the tutorial.

#8 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Disagree, falling damage adds a much need piloting component to an otherwise gunnery oriented game. [battletech references]

#9 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 03 July 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

For those that don't remember being knocked down, tips your mech over and you lose control. It takes like 5 seconds to get back up again.

The way it would work -

Same triggers for fall damage now apply to to knockdown or piloting check so to speak.

30 m/s fall speed

At the bare minimum of the above you have a % chance of falling down. Like 5% at the very minimum. The farther you fall from the greater the % chance of being knocked down.

This allows mechs to be penalized for pushing their machines too hard or not buffering their landings with jumpjets, BUT it's up to the enemy team to take advantage of you be knocked down. But even with all the reckless piloting you can still only kill yourself by willfully overheating yourself.

Now the only potential problem to this solution is if PGI "Didn't" create fall animations for the new mechs. The fall animations are in for all the older mechs but newer ones are a mystery right now. Technically they should still be there since the mantra "Collisions are coming back" have been the official word, but no idea if they are or not in the rush to push clans out.

I like you different approach to this matter, but fall damage is less frustrating actually, IMHO.

It also adds to the simulation value of the game, but without the frustration of falling over. The damage is actually quite manegable. Although they really should give lights a higher threshold for fall damage due to getting damaged randomly by running over small hills. That or sliding down slopes shouldn't count as fall damage.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 03 July 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

*shrug*

I dunno, man, I'm not having any problem with the fall damage and I pretty much play jump mechs exclusively...for the maneuverability.

Now, granted, I'm not a new player that's unable to navigate while completely zoomed in. I've been playing the MW series since MW2. I know how to feather my jets to make the landing softer and I invested in the nifty module they came out with for it.

But, I can definitely see where you're coming from. This completely handicaps the poptart meta builds. I lost count of the number of Victors, Cataphracts and Highlanders I've seen jump up and down, only to crush their own legs.

Hate to say it, but feathering your jets isn't hard. If I can do it, anyone can. If they choose not to, oh well.

It's a learning curve thing. I'm sure PGI will cover jumping in their tutorial very soon. Right after they address heat management in the tutorial.

it's actually the non jumping Lights and such getting it the worst.

But again, running a 30 ton vehicle off a 100 ft cliff, really shouldn't end well......
Posted Image

#11 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

I think its a bit unforgiving at the moment, but it should do damage at some point. Of course we could always just add random damage in the form of piloting rolls. My poor Summoner seems to take damage constantly and I don't even need to fall at 30ft/sec.

#12 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Use the new Reduced Fall Damage module?

*shrugs*

#13 Cord78

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

The way it would work -

30 m/s fall speed

There is still a flaw with your suggestion, if you are going to jump off a 30m cliff and as you put it "automatically fall down" then you would need to take damage all over your mech from the falling down part. If you are going to fall down you should take damage, can't do things half-arsed, otherwise you are turning it into a ridiculous "arcade-style" game.

In addition, since you are "falling down" and possibly rolling then you would also need to factor in the possibility of catastrophic cockpit damage from falling/rolling onto your cockpit.

If some people are already severely butt hurt over the small damage to their legs from jumping, how angry do you think they would be to be instantly killed because they happened to "fall down" and crush their cockpit instantly killing them?

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostCord78, on 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

There is still a flaw with your suggestion, if you are going to jump off a 30m cliff and as you put it "automatically fall down" then you would need to take damage all over your mech from the falling down part. If you are going to fall down you should take damage, can't do things half-arsed, otherwise you are turning it into a ridiculous "arcade-style" game.

In addition, since you are "falling down" and possibly rolling then you would also need to factor in the possibility of catastrophic cockpit damage from falling/rolling onto your cockpit.

If some people are already severely butt hurt over the small damage to their legs from jumping, how angry do you think they would be to be instantly killed because they happened to "fall down" and crush their cockpit instantly killing them?

Ah, but much like our pampered princesses cannot handle having an arty shell landing on their heads killing them (I died by RNG!! !No fairs!!!! (actually RNG technically is the height of fair, because,..... it's random), so too they would insist damage affect everything BUT the head.

Heck, we all know when you actually headshot someone, it's the Hackzorz anyhow, don't we?

#15 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

But again, running a 30 ton vehicle off a 100 ft cliff, really shouldn't end well......
Posted Image

i could not like this enough times....i want to click this like 40 times but it won't let me

#16 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

Because it's the Future

A Future where:

mguns that only go 200m
Flamers that can't light a camp fire.
missiles that only go 1000m
and SRM's that are really rockets
tree's don't get knocked over
and Armor can magically not take damage falling.

I would rather have piloting checks when you push your gyro then misc leg damage.

View PostCord78, on 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

I am fine with that.

It's up to the enemy to do damage to you.

Piloting checks is a far better system to have in place than taking random damage to a location

But your right i would be fine with take damage to different locations when you fall over. But in this current system where getting double legged = death. You simply can't take damage to the legs, there has to be another way.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 03 July 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#17 vesarius6

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

So you can drop an atlas from orbit into battle - no problem.
But if he falls off a 10 meter hill (about his waist height) he takes damage - makes sense to me.

Edited by vesarius6, 03 July 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#18 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Ghost heat is the only thing in game other than gauss charge that needs removed.

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Why not give us icons for when we are in danger of taking damage, or in my case: falling.
How about something like that harsh electronic sound in flight simulators that plays whenever you are in danger of stalling :)?

#20 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postvesarius6, on 03 July 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

So you can drop an atlas from orbit into battle - no problem.
But if he falls off a 10 meter hill (about his waist height) he takes damage - makes sense to me.

I didn't realize they dropped mechs from orbit, what keeps them from staying in orbit, plus it seem a lot less inefficient than just loading them in a giant guass gun and shooting into planets across the galaxy. Unless of course you missed the part were drop mechs have jump packs and parachutes. Or where the drop ship lands and the mechs walk out, which is what I remember from the previous mechwarrior titles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users