The Dusty Joystick

49 replies to this topic

#21 Stalker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

@Hikikomori : Checkout the dev interviews. Joystick support is in.

#22 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

There will be joystick support. I will be using my X52. I will love it, my social and professional life will probably be over.

I hope.

#23 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

I've never felt more comfortable with 'Mech combat than when I'm using stick + keyboard controls. Just feels right.

#24 Stalker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

I got an X52 Pro. I've been using it to play the X series by Egosoft, but never had the chance to play any Mechwarrior with it. Might have to try and get MW4 Mercs up and running this weekend. Does MW4 work with win7 x64??

Edited by stalker, 01 November 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#25 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

I've got an old Saitek x45 that's done me well. Here's hoping it will play nice with this. :)

#26 geek

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

I miss my sidewinder, it could take a beating.

I'm really hard on sticks, anybody have a good joystick that's durable?

Those Saitek ones look like they will break.

#27 PhoenixClaw

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ug, this game is going me make me miss my old Gravis Phoenix that is in storage, broken from lack of parts :)

#28 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

CH products work the best for me if you can afford them.
Even better would be the VWE Battletech pods :)

DL

Posted Image

Edited by darklord, 01 November 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#29 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

We definitely need a good Joystick thread, what's the new hotness these days? I think we should really hold off for the official announcements for support though..

#30 Gemini

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hey, does anyone here remember reading the manual for MechWarrior 2 and spotting that crazy-looking Gravis Phoenix joystick? I've always wanted one of those, though it came at a time before throttle controls were common so I doubt it would be very practical as a gaming joystick nowadays. :/

Not to mention, as I understand it, actually connecting it to a computer requires both a MIDI port AND a PS/2 keyboard port, as it uses a PS/2 passthrough to program its additional buttons as keystrokes. Crazy.

EDIT: Wow, this topic is moving fast. PhoenixClaw hadn't yet posted when I started writing this response. ;D

Edited by gemini, 01 November 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#31 PhoenixClaw

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

View Postgemini, on 01 November 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Hey, does anyone here remember reading the manual for MechWarrior 2 and spotting that crazy-looking Gravis Phoenix joystick? I've always wanted one of those, though it came at a time before throttle controls were common so I doubt it would be very practical as a gaming joystick nowadays. :/

Not to mention, as I understand it, actually connecting it to a computer requires both a MIDI port AND a PS/2 keyboard port, as it uses a PS/2 passthrough to program its additional buttons as keystrokes. Crazy.

EDIT: Wow, this topic is moving fast. PhoenixClaw hadn't yet posted when I started writing this response. ;D

Heh yea, lots of excited people here.

I still have mine, and it still works. It's just that the plastic base wore out and some stuff snapped from use (mainly the tabs that hold in the slide potentiometers) and can't get parts to fix it sadly, else I'd still be using it to this day. Came out ahead of it's time did that one. Nothing like mapping practically the entire keyboard to the joystick.

Speaking of which, It did plug into the sound card through the regular joystick/midi port and it had a second connection that you put in line with the PS/2 keyboard plug so that the buttons would send keystrokes as if it came from the actual keyboard. You could save multiple configurations and all it took was about 30 seconds to boot the config program, select the config you wanted, load it to the joystick, and off you went. You could even designate a button to put the joystick into "secondary mode" where it was basically a second config. The intent behind that was so that you could have a config for in-flight combat and with the press of a button have a config for ILS landing if needed.

Edited by PhoenixClaw, 01 November 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#32 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

View Postgeek, on 01 November 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

I miss my sidewinder, it could take a beating.

I'm really hard on sticks, anybody have a good joystick that's durable?

Those Saitek ones look like they will break.

I can confirm that saitek sticks, having used a good few, are solidly built. They can even take a solid bashing from a heavy handed thug like me....

#33 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

Oh man.. It's been years since I've even TOUCHED my Sidewinder. I'm not even sure I have it anymore... Memories of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and MechWarrior...

#34 chappy

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

here's hoping its not only Joystick but force feedback! I'm still looking to justify my outrageous G940 purchase!

#35 Stalker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

View Postchappy, on 02 November 2011 - 01:50 AM, said:

here's hoping its not only Joystick but force feedback! I'm still looking to justify my outrageous G940 purchase!

Whooo. Foot pedals. Never thought of that. Torso twisty goodness :)

#36 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

View Postaidan, on 01 November 2011 - 07:10 AM, said:

I wonder if I will be able to use my old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joysticks. I have like 3 of them ... lol :)

I had a regular sidewinder until someone else put me onto the sidewinder FF2's. The sidewinder was a cheap joystick that felt cheap but got the job done. The FF2's were really a nice joystick though. I'm wonderin if my old one still works.

#37 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

I was just thinking, i was pretty abusive to my joy stick trying to make my mech turn and I was probably a teenager at the time. Sever *ahem* years later, I'm afraid my joystick might not be able to take my "Grown Man" strength :)

#38 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

I wonder if they'd decide to go off their meds and release a Steel Battalion type set up for this game as a way to make more money.

#39 Andrimner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

x52 pro here. That thing was a pain in the *** to setup. Played MW3 with mouse and keyboard though.

#40 MAXrobo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts
  • Locationmiddle of nowhere

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostSkoll-, on 02 November 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

I wonder if they'd decide to go off their meds and release a Steel Battalion type set up for this game as a way to make more money.

that would be amazing, i would totally support that! but i doubt it
i got a logitech extreme 3D pro for backup :)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users