Enhancing Lrms (Secondary Target)

3 replies to this topic

#1 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Heyo everyone, just popping in to drop off an idea for the game I'd like to see implemented, and I'm sure many others would hate.

So here's the situation: You're running around in your Atlas AS7-D-DC, getting all up close and personal in everyone's face with your trusty AC/20 and twin SRM6s. But considering you're 80m away from your enemy and aren't going to move out of that distance very quickly, back into your maximum damage potential zone (within the 180m-270m range, where all of your weapons are effective on the target).

So your LRM 10 sits there and you can't do anything with it until you defeat your enemy or break lock and move on to another. It sits, waiting for its ammo to explode or you to lose your torso and in doing so lose a lot of your firepower that you (may have) never used in the first place. Sad day.

What I'd like to propose is an enhancement not to LRMs themselves, but to the TAG and NARC weapons. Currently, TAG gives a bonus to missile targeting strength, locking speed, lock retention. The NARC does the same, but doesn't require LOS. Regardless, I would like to see that if you are engaged in a fight with a mech and your current radar selected target is closer than the 180m minimum distance, but another enemy mech is being tagged by an ally, within 1000m maximum range, and in an acceptable firing arc (no shooting missiles at enemies behind you), that a secondary target tone would sound in the cockpit and the missiles would default track to whatever enemy mech is being spotted at the time.

For balance (which I'm obviously not an expert on) I'd recommend that this secondary target function work exclusively for Artemis IV equipped LRM launchers, and that the missiles would NOT receive any targeting bonus (either from NARCs, TAGs, or the Artemis itself) en route to a second target. I've noticed that the Artemis IV system is considered far more valuable for SRMs than LRMs, where it is considered to be mostly a waste of tonnage.

Target decay for the secondary target should be instantaneous. If the NARC beacon expires or the TAG laser is taken off target before the missiles arrive, they will simply go to the last place they were designated to, functioning the same as current launchers.

Now I know we all hate being on teams where the enemy has a great TAGer and everyone gets rained on by 200 LRMs at a time, and because of that hatred this idea may hold very unpopular with the community. I imagine it would not be a simple feature to code, but personally I think it would be a fun addition to the game, and it would help prevent those matches where you get to the end with a full 100 shots of LRMs left because you simply never got a good opportunity to use them. It has the potential to bring the Artemis IV system onto more LRM boats as well. At the very least, it should make it a more attractive option to LRM boats.

Anyway, topic is open for discussion. Feel free to love it or hate it. I also apologize in advance if this has come up often before. I did a quick search using the search function and didn't see anything quite related to the subject, but I'll admit it was a brief search.

Edited by ExAstra, 05 July 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#2 gtyida

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

i rather also see a ER TAG or ER NARC if u get me... but i dont know BT lore well and i havent check sarna on info... idea wise... may make the lrms a bit more useful than the current meta and i suppose the counter of the current game wont make much diff... so it may work...

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

Greetings all,

Originally the NARC was designed to actually 'pull LRM's into there target'.

- This means that simply firing any LRM's into the air, without a target lock allowed the NARC to grab these missiles and direct them onto it's target. Or any missile already on there way to a target, looses it's lock, would be redirected to the NARC.
(for all missiles within range.)

- Currently we have to establish a target lock to the NARC'd Mech before any benefits or guidance happens. This is contrary to what the description for the NARC's function was. No targeting lock was required, but the missiles did have to be NARC capable.

- This does cause some problems or issues for anyone that wants to 'dumb fire' there missiles when an active NARC is present. As those missiles would be pulled off the location they were aimed at and redirected to the NARC.
~ But this is where we need an actual mini map indication of an active NARC, possibly showing a pulsing circle around the NARC'd target and clearly visible to all players. (and visible to both teams)

The reference to advanced TAG or NARC is something that will be available in the future timeline.

- INARC (improved Narc - avail. 3062)

~ While the original Narc system provided a superior homing ability for SRM and LRMs, it proved too unpopular compared to its main competitor, the Artimis IV, due to the launcher's short range. Artemis equipped LRMs have double the range of a Narc pod, requiring either a dedicated spotter to close and tag enemies with Narc pods or for the launching 'Mech to close, tag and pull back to fire, a less than ideal arrangement.
~ The most obvious improvement is that the larger iNarc launcher has double the range of the original.
[5Tons, 3slots, ammo 4/T]

Many of these advanced features are similar to what quite a few MWO members have been asking for in the 'features' section. The ECM and Haywire are specific advantages the IS could use against Clan targets.

~ ComStar has produced a number of specialty munitions types for the iNarc, providing a range of tactical options:
  • Homing Pod - The larger iNarc version offering superior homing ability.
  • Explosive Pod - The larger iNarc version packing more explosives.
  • ECM Pod - Effectively a localized ECM cloud attached to the target.
  • Haywire Pod - A specialized ECM pod which disrupts the targeting systems of the 'Mech it's attached to.
  • Nemesis Pod - A devious pod which attracts both friendly and enemy missiles towards it.
TAG does not see any advanced features with range or homing improvements.

9erRed

#4 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yes, it makes a lot more sense for you to not have to be locked on to fire missiles if a target is NARC'd.

I believe that's even how it worked in MWLL, although it has been quite a while since I've played that so I don't remember. Good thing I apologized in advance if the subject had been brought up before, though.

I'd just like to see dumb fire missiles with a capability to hit a marked target in the game in some way, really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users