Interesting Mm Stats (Via Russ On Twitter)

147 replies to this topic

#141 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostSandpit, on 07 July 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I think if more players took that stance we'd have a "nicer" community here overall lol

I think if more PEOPLE took that stance we would have a "nicer" WORLD here overall...

#142 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostCimarb, on 07 July 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

I think if more PEOPLE took that stance we would have a "nicer" WORLD here overall...

The thing between perceived imbalance vs actual imbalance is mostly slanted towards subjective opinion.

Those that aren't afraid of overtonned teams will not mesh with those that must have weight class matching, and to a lesser extent tonnage matching.

It's one of those things requires people critically thinking pros and cons, and whether or not a particular behavior is good for the whole. There will always be cons... the question becomes what is the lesser evil?

Do you want potential imbalance in skill in "even weight matching", or do you want overtonnages, while skill levels are equal?

Edited by Deathlike, 07 July 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#143 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostCimarb, on 07 July 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

well that went without saying
until you said it...
lol

#144 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 July 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Do you want potential imbalance in skill in "even weight matching", or do you want overtonnages, while skill levels are equal?

I want a slight deviation in individual BV combined with slight deviation in individual Elo (with Elo being based upon actual skill, not just averaged team luck). :(

#145 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostCimarb, on 07 July 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

I want a slight deviation in individual BV combined with slight deviation in individual Elo (with Elo being based upon actual skill, not just averaged team luck). :(

I'm in the belief that BV won't work as intended, given the variation on combos and mechs involved... even if it isn't the primary factor.

#146 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 July 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

I'm in the belief that BV won't work as intended, given the variation on combos and mechs involved... even if it isn't the primary factor.

the only thing it can't and won't account for is individual skill
LL = 300 BV is going to be 300 BV regardless of pilot. So a LL boat with 5 LLs = 1500 base BV regardless.

As a solo component it won't work but if used in conjunction with Elo (which ONLY should account for individual skill) it would help. It's not a matter of any one thing working all on its lonesome. Just as with data collection, you're going to get better accuracy the more metrics you use.

BV+Elo+Tonnage+weight class matching = more balance
than
Elo OR BV OR Tonnage OR weight class

#147 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Lights mechs are seriously underrated, it's a shame most people think they need heavies/assaults to do anything - they are usually the direwolf/timberwolf idiot combo on your team that does 50-100 damage.

#148 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostKaramarka, on 07 July 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Lights mechs are seriously underrated, it's a shame most people think they need heavies/assaults to do anything - they are usually the direwolf/timberwolf idiot combo on your team that does 50-100 damage.

That's part of the problem.

It's not that they HAVE to use them, it's that they WANT to use them and until PGI changes that mode of thinking and creates an environment where more players WANT to use them, nothing will change.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users