Melee Implementation

1 reply to this topic

#1 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I know, this has been proposed already countless times ...

However, now with the arriving of the clans the feature of mechanised hand-to-hand combat would realy give the IS some unique flavor above the clans.

While clanner lore-wise usually refure to enter hand-to-hand combat in mechs (how babaric, freeborn warrior!), it is quite common in the IS.

Though I would like to see complex melee attacks and moves, I would propose a relative simple solution for hand-to-hand combat that might get intoduced additionally to the collision physics that is currently under discussion.

Mechs with at least one lower arm actuator get a free virtual weapon that is simply listed in the torso weapon list as "melee attack" with a flat range of 5 m (although an Atlas should have more punching range then an Firestarter, I would neglect that for the reason of effort introducing multiple of these virtual melee attack weapons for different mechs).

To use the melee attack, you have to charge it very similar like the gauss currently, but with the difference that it will not break charging but stay charged. While charged, all arm mounted weapon systems are deactivated and cannot be used. In addition armlock is automatically acitvated and stays until the charge is released.

If the charge is released, the weapon is triggered. The actual damage however depends on it's base damage that is defined by the mech class (naturally a light's punch will do less damage then an assault's one) and actual speed up to a maximum of a hard coded limit of i.e. 20 (the acutal value will need some fine tuning).

Charging the weapon will trigger an animation where the mech simply draw one or both arms back to the hip for deliviering a punch. The deactivated arm weapons and activated armlock will prevent problems with other animations. Releasing the weapon will trigger the punching animation: the arm or arms shoot out straightforward to deliver the punch and then go back to the normal position.

It will be some effort to code this but I think it should be quite possible without larger problems.

Edited by xe N on, 06 July 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#2 Valten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

+1 that's actually a creative way of handling it that makes sense. But with these attacks I believe that a fist should be required as without one there is no surface to strike the other mech with that is not, presumably, a weapon. While we are on the subject, I would propose that arm mounted weapons should face some risk of being damaged or destroyed if on an arm used for a melee attack. And I would ask that the system be introduced with the Axeman and dedicated melee weapons. (Maybe even TSM)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users