3 replies to this topic

#1 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

As it is right now, dropping with a group of realitvely small size can be rather frustrating because chances are high to be matched against severly larger groups of 8 to 12 players in the group-queue while your own team is a patchwork of 2s,3s,4s or 5s.
Those matches are hardly ever fun for the "patchwork-team" as the other side has far superior coordination.

Personally, I'd suggest to have groups of 2-3 always drop in the solo-queue, groups of 4 dropping in solo and group-queues and only allowing groups of exactly 8 and 12 above that, wich exclusively drop in the group-queue. Ditching the whole "groups of 5-10"-thing.

I believe groups of 8+4 would at least stand a reasonable chance against somewhat evenly proficient 12mans while mixed bunches of 4s, 2 and 3s have no chance in hell unless the 12man is utterly incompetent.

Also: solo-drops are pretty much perfect right now, don't change a thing there.

#2 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 06 July 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Personally, I'd suggest to have groups of 2-3 always drop in the solo-queue, groups of 4 dropping in solo and group-queues and only allowing groups of exactly 8 and 12 above that, wich exclusively drop in the group-queue.

Also: solo-drops are pretty much perfect right now, don't change a thing there.

You have a bit of collision occurring, in the point A and point B regions. Solo players (entering group queue) should be allowed to be mixed into larger preformed groups, pre-existing groups however should never be allowed into solo queues. As for "Ditching the whole "groups of 5-10"-thing.", huge step away from the direction this game has needed to go for a long time and is finally leaning.. letting groups of people that purchased the game with intentions to play with and as a group.. do exactly that.

Matchmaking does not have to be as complicated as its being made out to be, many of the complications come from unnecessary, arbitrary, fear induced bandaids(really... the proper spelling of bandaids is filtered out?... cry me a lollypop :D) and safety pads.

Edited by XphR, 06 July 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#3 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't understand what you mean by "collision".

Right now, any group of 2-4players is looking for matches in the solo-queue and the group-queue. If they find a match in solo-queue they will be the only group on their team and the other team will have exactly one group of 2-4players also.

If that group of 2-4players is matched into the group-queue their entire team will be made up of groups of various sizes to form a whole team of 12 players.

My suggestion is simply to limit groups smaller than 4 to just the solo-queue, keeping the other restrictions(1 group per side) in place.

In regard to groups other than 4,8 or 12people I do agree that in a perfect world they should be unproblematic and kept in place.
The game being as it is however, teamplay and coordination being paramount in group-battles, teams of patched together small groups simply are at a disadvantage when confronted with large groups with "fillers" as they will almost never reach the need coordination to be effective enough.

Trying to get some semblence of coordination out of one of those aforementioned "patchwork teams" is rather frustrating and in most cases a futile attempt. Even more so when some groups get spread out across several lances, like groups of 5-7 or 9-10 have to be (with groups of 9 and 10 not suffering as much as they form a "dominant" majority of the team anyway and usually drag their "fillers" behind).
So I believe limiting the grouping to 4,8 and 12 for the group-queue it will be easier to coordinate those groups and ensure fun and engaging matches.

All that being said, English is not my first language and I might simply not be clear enough or somewhat confusing in what I am trying to say.

Edited by Ironwithin, 06 July 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#4 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

The "collision" was in reference to the number of 'pre-established groups' that filter to 'solo queue'. But, as you have pointed out, it also follows the current norm of one matched pre-existing group per team(so we are working from an already broken definition of solo).

So I would have liked to see 'solo queue' to literally contain no pre-existing association upon launch. Yet leave solo pilots the option of forgoing this queue to be used as lance filler to 'group queue'. I guess it just seems natural to me because it was the natural evolution that the majority of games adopted as the bounds of internet gaming grew.

The confusion came from the systems in place using odd definitions,

your English mastery is well above par with many of the natives.

:D

Edited by XphR, 06 July 2014 - 10:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users