Gameplay General

28 replies to this topic

#21 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Legging clan mechs only gets you focus fired upon. None of them can even carry any ammo in their legs...so that is a waste...legging a clan light mech is a bit of a waste of effort as well.

Now, any IS mech carrying ammo or going faster than about 90 kph? Sure...

#22 Devlin Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

If I think a mech has all their ammo piled up in their legs I will leg them.

#23 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Since MW4 it is immoral for me to shoot at legs (except lights). After reading his topic I have serious moral issues...

#24 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 July 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Legging clan mechs only gets you focus fired upon. None of them can even carry any ammo in their legs...so that is a waste...legging a clan light mech is a bit of a waste of effort as well.

Now, any IS mech carrying ammo or going faster than about 90 kph? Sure...

Totally disagree. I kill more Adders, Kitfoxes and Summoners by legging than anything else.

Novas are right there too.

Legging isn't about an Ammo explosion, even if you don't kill someone, if they have a cherry red leg and you take it off you have effectively taken them out of a battle.

I was on a REALLY close Caustic match, where I had legged a Dire Wolf early on. I didn't get a chance to kill him right away.

But later on in the match, I came up on him against and he couldn't maneuver at all (less than normal) and ended up killing him.

We won, not necessarily because of it, but it was a definite help.

#25 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

It depends on what mech I'm running, what mech the enemy is running, how many (if any) allies I have with me, and of course their component health in various spots and I guess some other minor factors too.

I tend to reserve the legging for lights & faster mediums, but if I see somebody's leg is almost gone you can bet I'm going to try to finish it off regardless of how big or small it is. I do tend to mostly ignore the arms on a mech though, partly because I don't have a picture memory of the hardpoints on every mech nor do I tend to pay attention to their weapon loadout (even though I should) because it's hard to keep track of that on top of everything else, but also because simply taking out the side torso will take out the arms as well or just outright kill them.

#26 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Leg kills are now very common. Might be because LRMs seem to be tracking legs more so they are as softened up as the rest of even assaults, which was not the case a few months ago.

#27 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

It's worth legging lights, since they're virtually dead once you've legging them.

For everything else... if the paperdoll hints weakened leg armor (for whatever reason, including low armor and/or results of inaccurate shooting), it's not out of the question.

#28 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

I leg in some particular situations.
-light/fast medium mechs when necessary.especially spiders and firestarters.
-leg is already noticeably damaged and might make for an easy disable
-if it's the only shot I can get

Otherwise I generally go for ST's or CT's.

Intentional legging of a fresh opponent,to me,is just boring and slimy.Just like running nothing but meta and dropping arty every single round.
Legging is,of course,a "viable tactic".I'm not saying it isn't.In a competitive setting where there's a tangible reward,like a tournament or something,then I could see it.But,we are all here to have "fun".That's supposedly why we play games.Blowing a mech up is more "fun" to me than shooting it's leg off.Unless it's a spider or firestarter anyways :(
Conversersely,Getting my mech blown up in a hard fought battle is more "fun" to me than just getting legged.

'Course,from what I can tell of a good portion of the MWO community,every single round is tournament championships with the way they spam strikes,run nothing but meta mechs,and spam chat with garbage.

I guess that's their "fun".

Edited by Alexandrix, 07 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#29 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I typically leg assaults/heavies when I catch them from behind. A good heavy/assault is going to make any damage into the rear torsos essentially a waste, but they can't protect dem legs.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users