HUD

46 replies to this topic

#1 Blitzkriegg

Rookie

• The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

Why is the the new fall damage indicator in feet per second and the rest of the game is in metric, ie meters.
Its just a little thing but it would make more sense to have everything in the same units right?

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

It's a problem from how Cryengine displays the values.

The devs are working on that.

Edit: Here we go, found it: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3527082

Edited by Praetor Knight, 07 July 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#3 Quick n Fast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationKahnawake

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

the formula for force is given by
Posted Image
Where m = mass
a = acceleration.
It is expressed in Newton (N) or Kgm/s2.

Acceleration a is given by
Posted Image
Where v = Velocity and
t = time taken

So Force can be given as
Posted Image
Momentum is given by p = mv can also be called as inertia formula

Hence Force can be given as rate of change of momentum.
Posted Image

I know most of the game is done in meters... and when we see meters.. we think of things as being bigger.. but it might b easier to do the math in feet...

Edited by Kahnawake MechMaster Prime, 07 July 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#4 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

A foot is a more precise measurement than a meter, this alone is reason enough to keep it as is. There's no reason to change it just because people throw a useless bitchfit about something, as long as you know "I have to be below X vertical speed to not take fall damage" then it could be in milometers per second and still not matter.

There's no need to make endless threads about it, jesus.

#5 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

+1 for math

#6 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Non-metric units of measure can die in a fire. I thought Canadians had better sense than their southern neighbors.

#7 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 07 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Non-metric units of measure can die in a fire. I thought Canadians had better sense than their southern neighbors.

So, is there any need to know the exact, real-world equivalent of how fast you're falling in this game? No, there isn't. The purpose of showing it in ft/s is simply a convenient, somewhat realistic measurement that's more precise than meters, and considering how fast you can get to 30 ft/s it's a good thing that it's precise.

The indicator could be shown in some imaginary unit like bongs per second and it wouldn't matter though, same with your mech's walking speed as well, because again you don't need the most realistic speed indicator in a video game.

"B-B-B-B-BUT MUH METRIC SYSTEM" you'll probably say, nobody with any sense cares, go sperg out somewhere else.

How many threads do we need about this, because to me any more than zero is stupid and it sure as hell is a lot more than zero as of now.

#8 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

I thought Canadians had better sense than their southern neighbors.

ooh we do :D lol .. but when it comes to math, ummm yeah lol theirs a reason you haven't heard of a famous Canadian mathematicians :D
not saying we don't have any we do, but when you think of mathematicians Canada doesn't come to mind.

#9 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

A foot is a more precise measurement than a meter, this alone is reason enough to keep it as is. There's no reason to change it just because people throw a useless bitchfit about something, as long as you know "I have to be below X vertical speed to not take fall damage" then it could be in milometers per second and still not matter.

There's no need to make endless threads about it, jesus.

...The smeg? :D K, so, why not use in/s? Thats, 12 times as precise as ft/s! Dont go over 360 in/s people!

Or ~9m/s...
91dm/s
914cm/s
9144mm/s....

Lets use mm/s! Thats....alot more precise! :D

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

So, is there any need to know the exact, real-world equivalent of how fast you're falling in this game? No, there isn't. The purpose of showing it in ft/s is simply a convenient, somewhat realistic measurement that's more precise than meters, and considering how fast you can get to 30 ft/s it's a good thing that it's precise.

The indicator could be shown in some imaginary unit like bongs per second and it wouldn't matter though, same with your mech's walking speed as well, because again you don't need the most realistic speed indicator in a video game.

"B-B-B-B-BUT MUH METRIC SYSTEM" you'll probably say, nobody with any sense cares, go sperg out somewhere else.

How many threads do we need about this, because to me any more than zero is stupid and it sure as hell is a lot more than zero as of now.

I think I get it now, youre one of those people that, when in school, and they asked you to convert m to mm you had to use a calculator, arent you?

The metric system is used by the majority of the world, and Every other unit in this game is metric, why shouldnt this one be? Like you said, its just a number, dont sperg out over it :D

EDIT: For Great Accuracy!

Edited by Madw0lf, 07 July 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 07 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostMadw0lf, on 07 July 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

The metric system is used by the majority of the world,

Posted Image

#11 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

They use feet because 9.144 m/PS isn't a nice round number and looks stupid on the HUD. That simple. I would rather a terminal indicator that goes red when you fall too fast, maybe even having Betty scream at you. No numbers, just alarms. Easy.

Edited by orcrist86, 07 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#12 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostMadw0lf, on 07 July 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

...The smeg? :D K, so, why not use in/s? Thats, 12 times as precise as ft/s! Dont go over 360 in/s people!

Or ~9m/s...
91dm/s
914cm/s
9144mm/s....

Lets use mm/s! Thats....alot more precise! :D

Precision is the important part so if it was in mm/s it wouldn't matter, don't exceed the number and you're fine, although it would be rather pointless to change it to be that precise. The problem is that m/s isn't precise enough and it's not a needed change in the least.

I think I get it now, youre one of those people that, when in school, and they asked you to convert m to mm you had to use a calculator, arent you?

The metric system is used by the majority of the world, and Every other unit in this game is metric, why shouldnt this one be? Like you said, its just a number, dont sperg out over it :D

EDIT: For Great Accuracy!

LOL YEAH SIMPLE MATH IS HARD YOU MUST BE A DIMWIT XDDDDDDDDDD; piss off.

Nice way to dodge the argument by the way and not tell me how it actually matters to change it and instead going "MUH METRIC SYSTEM" just like I said, and I'm not the one clamoring to change something to be worse for no valid reason.

The only thing that matters is that it's a precise measurement that makes sense, "the rest of the world uses it" isn't good enough for a video game and "the game uses this other system for some other purpose" doesn't matter because KPH fits the purpose for displaying your mech's speed.

View Postorcrist86, on 07 July 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

They use feet because 9.144 m/PS isn't a nice round number and looks stupid on the HUD. That simple. I would rather a terminal indicator that goes red when you fall too fast, maybe even having Betty scream at you. No numbers, just alarms. Easy.

I wouldn't really be against having that but it wouldn't need to replace a number indicator, there's reasons for looking at a number instead of a binary red light somewhere.

Edited by Pjwned, 07 July 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#13 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

You're wrong. The whole idea of using the imperial measure system is antiquated and the countries that still use it are Liberia, Myanmar, and the USA. It's a stupid system, in a modern era, and there is literally no reason to continue using it outside of stubbornness.

View PostSignal27, on 07 July 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

It's not that you CAN'T use it to get things done, but it's significantly more cumbersome. There's a reason we do not use it in the USA even for engineering or science purposes, while only the nontechnical still refuse to learn a measurement system that makes sense.

Edited by Prezimonto, 07 July 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#14 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 07 July 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

You're wrong. The whole idea of using the imperial measure system is antiquated and the countries that still use it are Liberia, Myanmar, and the USA. It's a stupid system, in a modern era, and there is literally no reason to continue using it outside of stubbornness.

It's not that you CAN'T use it to get things done, but it's significantly more cumbersome. There's a reason we do not use it in the USA even for engineering or science purposes, while only the nontechnical still refuse to learn a measurement system that makes sense.

You say I'm wrong and then proceed to give arguments that have nothing to do with the game or anything to do within the scope of the game, try again sweetie.

If it soothes your OCD it could be changed to decimeters so that it's still precise and within the metric system, but considering ft/s is fine as a measurement I don't see any reason to change it, and why fix what isn't broken.

#15 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Precision is the important part so if it was in mm/s it wouldn't matter, don't exceed the number and you're fine, although it would be rather pointless to change it to be that precise. The problem is that m/s isn't precise enough and it's not a needed change in the least.

LOL YEAH SIMPLE MATH IS HARD YOU MUST BE A DIMWIT XDDDDDDDDDD; piss off.

Nice way to dodge the argument by the way and not tell me how it actually matters to change it and instead going "MUH METRIC SYSTEM" just like I said, and I'm not the one clamoring to change something to be worse for no valid reason.

The only thing that matters is that it's a precise measurement that makes sense, "the rest of the world uses it" isn't good enough for a video game and "the game uses this other system for some other purpose" doesn't matter because KPH fits the purpose for displaying your mech's speed.

Having it read "9.1m/s" instead of "30ft/s" isnt a big change. If someone cant remeber "dont go over 9.1m/s" then they probly shouldnt be playing this game. If it really doesnt matter that much, then why shouldnt they change it to m/s so it matches ground speed, weapon range, range to target, all also displayed on your HUD. Apparently enough people around here are OCD enough for it to matter :(

As a side note, yes the Imperial system can burn a fiery, horrible death as far as I am concerned.

#16 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

You say I'm wrong and then proceed to give arguments that have nothing to do with the game or anything to do within the scope of the game, try again sweetie.

If it soothes your OCD it could be changed to decimeters so that it's still precise and within the metric system, but considering ft/s is fine as a measurement I don't see any reason to change it, and why fix what isn't broken.

Actually, it's all the argument anyone needs. The metric system scales in easy to understand unit steps. If units were going to change to a finer scale, centimeters or decimeters would work great. None of that changes that Imperial measurements are bad practice in general. It doesn't matter if it's a video game or a Mars orbiter.
http://www.cnn.com/T...mars.metric.02/

Edited by Prezimonto, 07 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#17 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostSignal27, on 07 July 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

Did a Mars rover crash because of unit conversion issues?

#18 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostChemie, on 07 July 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Did a Mars rover crash because of unit conversion issues?

Partly, it was discovered though, but ignored: http://en.wikipedia....ause_of_failure

#19 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostMadw0lf, on 07 July 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Having it read "9.1m/s" instead of "30ft/s" isnt a big change. If someone cant remeber "dont go over 9.1m/s" then they probly shouldnt be playing this game. If it really doesnt matter that much, then why shouldnt they change it to m/s so it matches ground speed, weapon range, range to target, all also displayed on your HUD. Apparently enough people around here are OCD enough for it to matter :(

As a side note, yes the Imperial system can burn a fiery, horrible death as far as I am concerned.

If you have to display decimals because your measurement isn't precise enough that's just making it needlessly cumbersome. It also isn't needed because vertical speed only affects whether or not you take fall damage, it doesn't impact any other system in any way so it doesn't need to be consistent with other values, and if m/s isn't precise enough (which seems to be the case by default, it's not in m/s now) then simply using ft/s makes sense.

View PostPrezimonto, on 07 July 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Actually, it's all the argument anyone needs. The metric system scales in easy to understand unit steps. If units were going to change to a finer scale, centimeters or decimeters would work great.

There's no practical reason to change it because it doesn't matter how good or bad the system is in other uses, since being used in a video game makes that irrelevant. If you want to change what doesn't need to be changed for some arbitrary reason though, then go ahead as long as the resulting measurement is precise enough, but it would be nice if you had an actual reason instead of "BLUH BLUH THE IMPERIAL SYSTEM IS BAD" even though it fits the purpose here just fine.

None of that changes that Imperial measurements are bad practice in general. It doesn't matter if it's a video game or a Mars orbiter.
http://www.cnn.com/T...mars.metric.02/

Cool, what does that have to do with the game again? Oh right, nothing.

#20 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

If you have to display decimals because your measurement isn't precise enough that's just making it needlessly cumbersome. It also isn't needed because vertical speed only affects whether or not you take fall damage, it doesn't impact any other system in any way so it doesn't need to be consistent with other values, and if m/s isn't precise enough (which seems to be the case by default, it's not in m/s now) then simply using ft/s makes sense.

Then you can just call it 9m/s, or use dm/s or cm/s. ft/s isnt any "more precise" than saying 9.144m/s. Sure thats more cumbersome, but I believe I addressed that. the whole point of this is, some people want to see it displayed in a matter which is consistent WITH THE REST OF THE GAMES MEASUREMENTS. If the actual unit really doesnt matter, then what, exactly, is your problem?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users