Any Advice For Using The Adder?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Please share useful builds and advice for piloting an adder. If anyone posts something along the lines of "Dont, it isntgood/worth it," you win a "Yes I am a troll and a moron" award and hopefully the rest of the forum with laugh at you for not reading this text. (Its only at the top to make sure that you read it)

I personally have tried a few builds and can only come to the conclusion that I am doing it wrong.

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostShaitan Kerensky, on 07 July 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Please share useful builds and advice for piloting an adder. If anyone posts something along the lines of "Dont, it isntgood/worth it," you win a "Yes I am a troll and a moron" award and hopefully the rest of the forum with laugh at you for not reading this text. (Its only at the top to make sure that you read it)

I personally have tried a few builds and can only come to the conclusion that I am doing it wrong.
Thanks for the award.

That said...

.Okay, seriously, play it like a steptart with ppcs!

Roleplay an option from Gradius. follow someone around and help them take out their enemies.

#3 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostSephlock, on 07 July 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Thanks for the award.

That said...

.Okay, seriously, play it like a steptart with ppcs!

Roleplay an option from Gradius. follow someone around and help them take out their enemies.

so.... dual ppc assists?

#4 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

My three:

- 2x ER Large Lasers, 2x ER Medium Lasers
- 2x LRM15 (6-7 tons of ammo), 2x ER Medium Lasers
- 1x Gauss Rifle (3 tons of ammo), 2 ER Small Lasers

#5 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

It all depends on the build, but the general rule is play support. I roll with 1ppc and 1 large pulse on one and do okay sniping and covering for heavies. I use the lpl on lights and anything stripped of armor. I've found all clan lights to be excellent support mechs. Stay behind cover and play defensive. Let the heavies and mediums do the damage. The role changes once things are going well for your team. The adder can then go on the offensive, keeping on a flank and doing hit and run to keep the enemy busy while the assault close to lbx20 range.

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostShaitan Kerensky, on 07 July 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Your not doing it wrong, its a very ungainly mech thats difficult to do well in alot like my Warhawk it can do alot of builds but only a few will do well.

It boats SRMs pretty well which can be vicious on such a low slung mech, can do LRMS as well but in that department the ECM kitfox has the nasty edge. As a fan of UAC10s I would also suggest taking one of those, three tons of ammo maybe a smaller tac comp and some small lasers. (wish you could get a big one on it like I use on my Warhawk, but thats just not practical)

#7 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

It's a dude mech.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Ok, it is a bad mech. That said, strip the TC off the prime and replace with heat sinks and play like a CDA-3M. Otherwise makes an amusing LRM30 "paddleboat." Those are the best answers I've found and I'm likely going to finish mastery and shelve them tonight.

#9 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

First match with the base prime poached 5 kills.

Step tarting is effective too given the position of the weapons. Get advanced zoom and radar deprivation and snipe. Once the action heats up dive in to poach some kills, base prime let's you get off 3 ERPPC shots before the heat warning. Just make sure your targets have someone else focused first and never let an IS light get behind you.

#10 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 July 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

First match with the base prime poached 5 kills.

Step tarting is effective too given the position of the weapons. Get advanced zoom and radar deprivation and snipe. Once the action heats up dive in to poach some kills, base prime let's you get off 3 ERPPC shots before the heat warning. Just make sure your targets have someone else focused first and never let an IS light get behind you.

Pretty much sums it up, though I wouldn't run it without a cool shot.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Some general rules to follow while using the Badder:

1. Always have your main gun(s) as long range, with maybe some short range backup if you wish. Your armor and speed are not sufficient for close combat unless your target is damaged/distracted. Spend most of the battle playing troll sniper.

2. Focus on energy weapons, in order to have the highest damage per tonnage ratio possible. Missiles are okay at times but don't make them your main guns. If you do, you'll have less damage output. The same goes for ballistics. Do not use ballistics on the Badder, period. Leave ballistic boating to the mechs with the tonnage to handle it. Just take cover while you cool down from energy weapons, it's not like you have the armor or dakka to really fight in the open anyways. High heat loadouts synergize with the hit-and-fade nature of the mech.

3. The Alternate A side torsos are good for ridge-humping with ERPPC or ERLL. They are probably your best assets.

4. You don't need more than 5-6 rear armor, and you can get away with even less. Frontload most of your torso armor to slightly increase your lifespan. Speaking of armor, max out your leg armor and take off a few points from your head and arms to keep your pod space at 16 tons.

5. Use lower arm and hand actuators as crit-packing for your arm equipment, and slightly increasing your arm hitbox size.

6. Keep yourself glued to your team's deathblob the majority of the time. You don't have much (if any) autonomy with slow lights. You are a helper mech.

7. Don't hump one specific hill/corner too long against competent enemies, because they'll anticipate you and alpha strike your face. Relocate during skirmishes -- how often you relocate will depend on how good the enemy team is (better enemy team = more relocating, bad enemies mean you can stay in one spot a bit longer).

8. Use Radar Derp module for slightly improved stealthiness.

Edited by FupDup, 07 July 2014 - 04:10 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users