Which Weapon Types Boast The Highest Probability Of Crits?

Weapons

9 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Out of lasers, pulse lasers, autocannons, particle projection cannons, gauss rifles, short range missiles, long range missiles and machine guns...

Which have the highest likelihood of causing a crit?

Which have the lowest probability?

Is it worth pursuing builds dealing lower damage if they have a higher statistical probability of causing a crit that might disable weapons / equipment?

WDYT? :D

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 11 July 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Machine guns, flamers and LB autocannon are your crit-seekers. They have increased chances of critical hits and improved damage ratios when doing so compared to other weapons, but their damage is relatively low per crit in an absolute basis.

Take the LB-10 and the AC/10.

The former fires ten pellets of 1 damage each, that will do double damage on a crit, and have increased chance to crit more than one slot per pellet. There is no guarantee that each pellet will crit, and if it does, it probably won't even do enough damage to destroy a Gauss rifle in one hit. It'll sandpaper everything in an exposed location at once. (There is a tiny chance though that one LB-10 shell fired into an exposed component will do 120 damage... I live in hope for this day).

The AC/10 has the standard crit chance - but if it does, it will destroy any item that is not an AC/20 in one hit. Almost all mountable equipment has 10 hit-points, so any critical hit from an AC/10 shell will destroy an exposed item outright. Of course, it does only target one crit slot at a time, and you may miss the items you were hoping to hit.

Disclaimer: I am super tired and my information is relatively old. I'm sure I'll be readily corrected if wrong, though!

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

The highest likelihood of causing a crit I think happens to be LBX. IIRC... followed by MGs (generally, because you stack them in bulk, and they fire multiple shots quickly).

The lowest probability... is ones without crit bonuses or are difficult to stack, but also do less than 10 damage per shot. This would include AC5s/UAC5s, AC2s, LBX, and Clan ballistics (outside of the Gauss Rifle) and others that I can't think of the top of my head.

Aiming for crit damage is a wasted thought... going for big damage dealers like AC10s, AC20s, PPCs/ERPPCs, Gauss are far more reaching for destroying DHS and other stuff.

The weapons that generate the most crit damage are often times bad for damaging mech external armor.

Edited by Deathlike, 11 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

The LBx series, Flamer and MGs have the best Crit rates. They are pretty worthless for getting crits though, same boat as lasers.

You can find the crit chances here:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

The best type of critting weapon is any FLD weapon with 10 damage. So, Gauss, AC20, PPC or AC10. These always deal 10 damage on a single crit slot, which means everything but the AC20 will be destroyed once crit.

It also has another advantage, it doesn't need to deal a full 10 damage to get that 10 crit damage. If you hit a location with 9 armor with any of the above, you'll deal the full crit damage if it rolls a crit. So, a lucky AC20 shot to the head can blow your ammo in there up, even with 2 damage bleeding though.

So, for best critting results, go FLD.

#5 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 11 July 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

(There is a tiny chance though that one LB-10 shell fired into an exposed component will do 120 damage... I live in hope for this day).

Assuming every pellet crit 3 things that would only be 60 crit damage total, not 120.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 11 July 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Machine guns, flamers and LB autocannon are your crit-seekers. They have increased chances of critical hits and improved damage ratios when doing so compared to other weapons, but their damage is relatively low per crit in an absolute basis.

Take the LB-10 and the AC/10.

The former fires ten pellets of 1 damage each, that will do double damage on a crit, and have increased chance to crit more than one slot per pellet. There is no guarantee that each pellet will crit, and if it does, it probably won't even do enough damage to destroy a Gauss rifle in one hit. It'll sandpaper everything in an exposed location at once. (There is a tiny chance though that one LB-10 shell fired into an exposed component will do 120 damage... I live in hope for this day).

Slightly wrong, yes.

The LB10x has a 14% chance to deal 2 damage, 8% to deal 4 and 3% to deal 6 damage.

So, max of 60 with an abysmal %.

#7 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostPjwned, on 11 July 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

See? Tired :D

Thanks for clearing that up, guys :D

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

If you want to farm crits, try driving a 5 LBX5 Daishi sometime. What's funny is that it can actually be somewhat effective at times (not meta, but it can do okay) because the LBX5 has a way tighter spread than the LBX10 and it can fire fairly fast.

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 July 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

If you want to farm crits, try driving a 5 LBX5 Daishi sometime. What's funny is that it can actually be somewhat effective at times (not meta, but it can do okay) because the LBX5 has a way tighter spread than the LBX10 and it can fire fairly fast.

I saw one such Dire Whale.

I'm pretty sure Ahab's harpoon made an appearance (didn't read the book).

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Wouldnt it be AC40/ Gauss+ppc/ srm24+ ?

Doesnt destroying the whole section destroy all the components?

I read earlier(before clans) AC20 was the best crit weapon because of the above.

LBX spreads over distance, hard to get all pellets on one section. MG's take time and seem pretty random. Who uses flamers?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users