5 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

To most of you, this is old news. You've ever seen it confirmed elsewhere or found out on your own through deductive reasoning. But I'm starting this thread anyway, since I didn't see a thread like this.

http://mwomercs.com/...ump-jet-update/

One common misconception that I've seen concerning these changes is that this was supposed to "fix" the "pop-tart meta". That is not the case. Just to be clear, we are not trying to remove pop-tarting from MWO. It is a valid, tactical means of play. The way we want to address it is from a cost per performance view, not eliminate it. The changes in this update do affect the pop-tart meta builds but only by increasing costs in tonnage, space and having to adapt to less vertical thrust.

We are updating Jump Jets to bring the gameplay aspects surrounding them back into line where they should be. Again, it is very important to remember that Jump Jets are for maneuvering purposes only and not meant to make a 'Mech fly around the environment.

- Paul Inouye

Personally, I would have preferred that jump jets always had lots of forward momentum, because it would lead to more dynamic jump-sniping. But then again, I never played MW:LL, so I don't know how that actually plays out.

Anyway, the reality is that poptarting is going nowhere, they're just going to continue to slowly tweak it untill it's no longer the dominant playstyle. So... yeah.

PS: Kind of a tabloid thread title, but screw it.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 08 July 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

poptarting is valid tactic. The pinpoint convergence is the issue. Always was.

#3 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

*shrug*

No big deal, really. This leg damage thing they added really has changed the meta to a point.

The only poptarts worth worrying about now are the ones that know how to feather their jets before they land. The rest....man, it's hilarious.

Victor pops up....people aim at his legs now instead of his torsos....he fails to feather the jets and...."Moron killed Moron." Happens at least once every three games in the PUG queue. Add to that the sheer number of Clan Omnis packing Targeting Computers and....legs flying everywhere.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

good
it should never ever have been an option to "remove" poptarting. It's a valid and legal tactic to use.

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

There is an official feedback thread for Pauls post. It can be found here: http://mwomercs.com/...pdate-feedback/

Closing!

#6 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Nice baiting title. He clearly said that it's a valid tactic but should be an earned skill to use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users