147 replies to this topic

#101 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 09 July 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Also, i see a lot people upset that they cant swap the omnimech engines....this is the WAY ITS SUPPOSE TO BE! Omnimech engines are welded in and NOT SWAPPABLE! If you want free customization stick with ordinary battlemechs.

Fixed that for you, but I must admit I am getting somewhat tired of it. A shamefully large part of forum population just fails to comprehend that omnimechs are a minority in Clan toumans and soon the IS will be fielding their own omnimechs based on the same construction principles. On to the topic, the fixed nature of omnimechs compensates for much of subsequent upgrade costs, so I believe it is more or less balanced. Personally I never liked paying two times the price of a new mech to be even remotely competitive, so omnimechs are more or less my game.

#102 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

the point is not what you think it should cost using a "standard price list". The issue is what is a fair grind time --> earning per hour vs mech purchase price. Fair or not this is the real question...not a shopping list to "justify" the cost. You could charge 100MM if the earnings said it took 1-2 weeks of 10 hours per week to buy. Instead, 3 direwolfs will take more like 4-6 months.

#103 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 09 July 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

A shamefully large part of forum population just fails to comprehend that omnimechs are a minority in Clan toumans

Hold on. Where have you read this? Of course, a very good part of any Clan Touman is comprised of second-line BattleMechs, but i do not know what is the actual BM/OM ratio. Anyway, frontline units are equipped with OmniMechs..

#104 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,626 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

"OmniPods are a new addition to the game and are, for the time being, exclusive to Clan Mechs"

Doth not my hears detect a hint of Inner Sphere OmniMechs on the way?

#105 Pekiti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Its inevitable, and canon, too. Its also realistic, in that if one side of a conflict fields a technology (or tactic) that is clearly better than what you have, you will copy that technology/tactic as soon as you can - the arms race. You see it in the high Elo matches too - this is where the 'meta' comes from. Someone discovers a combination that gives significantly improved results, and everyone who wants to have equally improved results rapidly adopts the same combination.

There will be IS omnimechs.

#106 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I thoroughly enjoy that games have changed from "have fun" to "work".

Yeah, yeah. tell me I am entitled, and a whiner, and that I want everything for free, blah blah. I don;t mind paying for a game but I sure as **** am not paying hundreds of dollars to get the "full" game.

Edited by DeathofSelf, 09 July 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#107 Ikester

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 08 July 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

OmniPods
OmniPods are a new addition to the game and are, for the time being, exclusive to Clan Mechs.

Interesting :P "for the time being"

#108 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I thought this thread was going to list all of the prices for each mech chassis...

#109 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Since I've stated (as most of you know) from the time of the 1st Official Video that I'm a Clanner granted a Dark Caste Clanner but a Clanner none the less. What gets me is that the aquisition of Mechs in the Inner Sphere is the opposite side of the Coin for the way that the Clans Assign Mechs to their Pilots. For most Inner Sphere MechWarriors their Mech was more than likely also Piloted by that persons Grand Parent. Now I hear the Howlings of the Nay Sayers but hold on a sec I'll splain, Lucy.http://www.sarna.net...leMechs#Origins Notice this part of it Particularly; '[color=#000000]The [/color]Succession Wars[color=#000000] plunged the Inner Sphere into centuries of interstellar warfare soon afterwards. In this technological and cultural dark age of [/color]Lostech[color=#000000], the [/color]Successor States[color=#000000] of humanity soon fought with 'Mechs and other equipment that was literally decades, if not centuries, old and in a sorry state of repair. Ancient automated factories continued to produce BattleMechs even when their technology was not understood anymore. Over time, equipment shortages, system failures and similar problems sparked innumerable variants of the classic designs. Field modifications and makeshift repairs became commonplace.' The Very Next line is '[/color][color=#000000]During the [/color]the invasion of the Clans[color=#000000] in [/color]3050[color=#000000], the Inner Sphere got its first look at technology advanced even beyond the lost technology of the old [/color]Star League[color=#000000].' And since I have always Claimed Clan Affiliation I feel that it is only fair that the [/color]119,031,657 C-Bills over the life of the Account (So its not a uber grip o dough but its hardly chump change!) Remitted to me in the form of M/C (Clanners dont have C-Bills since C-Bills are something that came into being After Aleksander Kerensky,me and the other 80% of the SLDF (the 20% that remained found that Mercenaries did ok for themselves. Eridani Light Horse, 32nd Recon, 4th Tau Ceti yadda yadda on and on.) left for Parts Unknown (and the Clan Mechs as they are released are only being sold for M/C). That comes to 47612.6628 call it 47612 MC, I wont quibble over the XP and GXP and you can take all my mechs and equipment. Oh and Hey since 47612 M/C works out to almost $200 I'll gladly take the Mechs of the StormCrow/Ryoken Collection at $180 (just the mechs and the mech bays you can keep the warhorns and the badges I dont really need/want the gewgaws, the cockpit items I have now are plenty!) Im happy, its like I wasnt even in the Inner Sphere yet, Im just coming to the Corridors with my Fellow Bandit Caste Warriors, to either slaughter Spheroids or Hire out to them (most likely a combination of the 2). Your happy because you havent lost out on anything, you'll have a happy customer who has been a part of the Online Mech Community since it was Solaris VII on AOL, (I might not be respected but Im Known!) As well as a Table Top (and a bit of the RPG too since it helped your piloting stats) player (I remember seeing the Battle Droids box but didnt get it then. I had the BattleTech box that had the WarHammer on the Cover and I have a BLR-1G Plastic Miniture sitting on my Desktop. Yeah I might miss my old AC40 Jaeger but Ill get over it.

#110 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, the clan engine equation should be dropped slightly since I can't use that engine in any other mech. They just aren't as flexible and shouldn't be calculated at the same rate.

#111 Astral Esper

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationChaska, Minnesota

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

View Postvoodoolou kerensky, on 09 July 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

*lots of pointless garbage/asking to get free money*

Please, oh please, tell me you are not serious.

#112 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

to be honest these prices are much more reasonable than I thought they would be.

I was expecting clan equipment to be 2-3x the price of IS equipment for an equivalent piece of equipment, but they are essentially the same price as IS mechs.

Because clan mechs come with the high-tech gadgetry by default, it costs a lot less to refit them. buying an IS mech for example you normally spend at LEAST the cost of the mech again refitting it with equipment/weapons/engine.

#113 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

View PostSorbic, on 09 July 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Yeah, the clan engine equation should be dropped slightly since I can't use that engine in any other mech. They just aren't as flexible and shouldn't be calculated at the same rate.

When we purchase an IS mech, we pay for said chassis that includes the cost of the stock engine. The same goes for the clan mech. The only difference is that we can change the engine of the IS mech, which means we can also choose to sell it seperate of the chassis, unlike its clan counterpart.

We have to take into consideration that should we decide to upgrade the engine, we are purchasing an extra engine outside of the stock engines that come with the mechs and that cost has to be included in as well, something we need not bother with clan mechs. Engines that we bought for other mechs/chassis and swapped over to our new ones are no different, the cost is just spread over more mechs. The fact we purchased an additional engine remains, as do the additional cost for said engine. (One thing to note is that in not so common cases, we swap engines that came stock with other mechs we purchased, thus reducing said additional cost)

Anyways, the cost seems to match sarna prices. If existing clan mech owners could figure out chassis costs, they could work out the price of all clan mechs (since they would know omnipod costs) and see if that is the case across all mechs.

#114 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 09 July 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

I don't know about you guys, but I thoroughly enjoy that games have changed from "have fun" to "work".

Yeah, yeah. tell me I am entitled, and a whiner, and that I want everything for free, blah blah. I don;t mind paying for a game but I sure as **** am not paying hundreds of dollars to get the "full" game.

I won't, but I will tell you to reflect on your username and it's source. I half suspect that your entire post is some sort of meta-joke.

#115 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 09 July 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

For the time being omnipods are restricted to Clans. So we are planning on getting IS Omnis? ;)

Well the earliest omnimech showed up at 3052 (Raptor) with eight more cropping up by 3058 but the problem is the way omnimechs are treated in MWO: IS Omnimechs would be pretty bad and Clan standard mechs would be pretty freaking evil.

A good example is the Avatar - A 70 ton IS omnimech any MW3 and mw4 player would recognize; though it has a respectable amount of podspace (34tons, more than a Warhawk) its trapped with a 64kph IS XL engine which is probably the only real drawback to the design but its a nasty one - slow as a assault and dead as soon as it loses a side torso. (From what I understand it also has standard armor, standard frame and case somewhere and none of that can be changed)

Im pretty sure (but not absolutely) that all the IS omnis are like this, not being able to change from or upgrade a XL engine is one of the biggest drawbacks for the clan mechs but the IS ones dont have the same durability.

#116 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 10 July 2014 - 05:15 AM, said:

I won't, but I will tell you to reflect on your username and it's source. I half suspect that your entire post is some sort of meta-joke.

I'm curious what you think the source of my username is.

#117 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 09 July 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Anyway, frontline units are equipped with OmniMechs..

My reasoning is this. Omnimechs are quite pricey, and some battlemechs are actually quite good, so it would make sense to mix them. The units of Operation Revival were equipped solely with omnimechs because they were the spearhead of attack against unknown defence and needed to bring their very best. When the situation became more or less clear and casualties started to mount they started to introduce battlemechs, but the units themselves were still front-line, so they ended up with mixed units. And nobody in their right mind would waste an omnimech on second-line units, because the front-line units need them much more. Now to the units themselves: according to Sarna, Smoke Jaguar touman lists 13 galaxies of which only five were front-line (including the infamous Tau galaxy). So even if the five front-line galaxies were equipped solely with omnimechs they would still be minority. With other clans it is pretty much the same story.

#118 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 10 July 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'm curious what you think the source of my username is.

"Virtue is the death of self"

Or rather, virtue is abandoning the things that you want or care about for what is wanted by the community / society. Much like "From each according to their ability..." and "Work will set you free" It is one of those slogans that tends to get tossed around a lot by people who see "Orwellian" as a positive descriptor.

I found the idea that someone whose user name describes the obliteration of ego would complain about a game being "work" (Labor if you will :P) to be ironic in the extreme.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 10 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#119 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 July 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Same here on premium, but I'm frequently space poor and selling things off. I've also got the full Masakari package thanks to someone incredibly awesome, and I've refitted some of the mechs more than 6 different times to try different ideas.

I've customized 1 Timber Wolf, 2 Summoners, 2 Warhawks, 1 Dire Wolf, half of 1 Dire Wolf (it's not ready to deploy yet), 1.7 Adders (the one is still marginally incomplete), 1 Kitfox, 2 Novas, 2 Stormcrows... and that's about it.

There's also a lot of weapon recycling, because I've parted out some of the mechs and frequently reuse similar weapons otherwise my expenses would have been sooooooooo much more.

My "King Crab" Warhawk alone cost me over 4 million just in parts with 2.4 million just being in the twin LBX/AC/20s.

Yeah just did 3 direwolves ... found I didn't like the setup on one and changed armament to put in 2 C-ERPPC.. 1.2m just for those. :)

#120 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 09 July 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

Kit Fox: actually the only Clan ECM mech.
97 kmh speed - as the standard ECM Raven.
If you have to try a clan mech: this is the one.

The Adder has nothing better, same speed, only 5 tons more, but no ECM.

Have to say there's plenty an Adder can do that a Kitfox can't due to the hardpoint location's:

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users