Ammo Listing

7 replies to this topic

Poll: List Ammo as Shots instead of Rounds (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Should ammo be listed as Shots per Ton?

1. Yes (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Can we please get ammo listed as shots instead of actual rounds?

Currently the UI lists the amount of rounds per ton....but weapons often fire multiple rounds per "shot" (i.e., trigger pull).

This would not only make it easier to get an idea of how many shots you get with any given ammo type, it would also be closer to how the the TT game worked.

Thanks!

Edited by Bhael Fire, 26 June 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Greetings all,

Yes I would agree, especially since the Clans now have burst mode on quite a few of there weapons.

- List how many shots are still remaining for those burst mode weapons weapon.

Can PGI look at having a toggle between rounds and shots available, or show both with a / between them.
- some weapons do indeed use rounds, like Mg's or AMS.

LRM and SRM systems always and only fire complete 'groups of ammo' in the corresponding launcher value's.
- If I mount a specific missile launcher or pairs of said launcher, the ammo I select should be set in the corresponding values.
Point in question, SRM comes in 100rds per ton.
- How can an SRM6 launcher use the ammo box with 16.66 volleys?
(either make that unique ammo box fit 96rds or 102rds, for an even 6 launch each time. 16 or 17 full volleys.)

Thanks,
9erRed

#3 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Post9erRed, on 26 June 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Can PGI look at having a toggle between rounds and shots available, or show both with a / between them.
- some weapons do indeed use rounds, like Mg's or AMS.

LRM and SRM systems always and only fire complete 'groups of ammo' in the corresponding launcher value's.
- If I mount a specific missile launcher or pairs of said launcher, the ammo I select should be set in the corresponding values.
Point in question, SRM comes in 100rds per ton.
- How can an SRM6 launcher use the ammo box with 16.66 volleys?
(either make that unique ammo box fit 96rds or 102rds, for an even 6 launch each time. 16 or 17 full volleys.)

MGs fire 10 rounds per shot, with each shot taking about 1 second to complete. However, since the recycle time after each shot on the MG is basically 0 seconds individual shots are not apparent. Thus, if you click the fire button once really fast, the MGs will fire off 10 rounds each as one "shot" that does 0.8 damage. So basically, MG ammo has about 200 shots per ton.

AMS is a different animal since it's automated and not controlled by the player. In other words, there are no "shots" to be made...just an amount of AMS rounds you have available for the AMS to work properly.

Missiles are also a different animal since they are interchangeable between similar weapon systems. That is, the number of rounds their "shots" consist of depends on the weapon being used. So it make sense to simply leave ammo listing for missiles as missiles per ton instead of shots per ton.

At least that's my take, anyway.

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

For those that voted no, I'm curious why you would want rounds listed instead of shots. I see no practical reason to keep track of individual rounds.

For example, for AC/20 ammo each time you pull the trigger, 5 rounds are spent for 20 damage (4 damage each round). You can't control how many rounds you spend each time you fire the weapon. These rounds all make up a single "shot" — So what's the point of listing them individually??

#5 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

I voted no. I personally like the total shell count better. I think it promotes firing and not hording of ammo. Also, I've been able to interrupt the multi-slug burst a couple of times to fire the last shell of that volley delayed. I was running UAC20 on my Thor and mid-burst I destroyed the mech I was circling and put the last 2 shells into another crippled mech. Basically, turned what should have been my last round into two. If this was just a bug, then I have less preference on how ammo is displayed.

#6 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostQuintus Verus, on 27 June 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I was running UAC20 on my Thor and mid-burst I destroyed the mech I was circling and put the last 2 shells into another crippled mech. Basically, turned what should have been my last round into two. If this was just a bug, then I have less preference on how ammo is displayed.

There is no control of firing of the rounds. Once you click the fire button, the AC/20 throws 5 rounds down range no matter what, regardless if the mech you're aiming at dies before the rest of the rounds hit it. Ergo, 1 shot = 5 rounds, 24/7...365.

Programming issues aside, there is literally no practical reason to list individual rounds. At least not from a design standpoint.

#7 Valten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Obviously LRMs and SRMs which share ammo with differently sized racks need to show total number of rounds (maybe with the total number of shots displayed for each size) but my ballistics are really annoying when I have 140 rounds for my UAC20 but it ends up only being 28

#8 reaverOfCheesecake

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I Vote No... the reason why is simply down to preference, not because i think your idea is bad. I like to know what is in the box... capacity if you will. I find it easy to calculate how many shots i will get per ton although i can understand that some people may find it mildly inconvenient. on the other hand, working out your mech build and it's weapon load out prior to the battle is part of the fun :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users