#21 Martin Oberhofer

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

I almost only play solo,
I have to say that i noticed a certain "lack of coordination"
but mostly the matches are good,
sometimes the outcome on kills is misleading

once we were defeated 12v5, but the enemy made a great flank so we lost, BUT it was realy a good game

It has become a bit of an easy-mode for players with a certain experience, but i think for a new player its better than it was,
still the learning curve is steep, but you dont run into super coordinated groups anymore giving them more room for errors.

Sure most times nobody listens to tactical advices -> classic alpine conquest -> where the top lance splits of to cap the citiy point where thier teammates are outnumberd and outgunned at epsi...

But still in general terms i say the MM improved the expirience.

the MM wont solve all the balancing issues, keep in mind even how difficult it is of an algorythm to cosinder your skill.
Take me as a prime example

playing since dec2012, mostly solo, having masterd >80 mechs own >100
80% of the time i play mechs to master them, 20% i play my favorite loadouts.
I would say my ELO is pretty low. The many matches i need to master a mech and finding a good loadout could never be compensated by the low number my matches in proven loadouts

View PostLynx7725, on 09 July 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

I doubt PUGs are learning much in the current solo queue environment.

Likely not, but at least they are among the same
instead of a giant step to learn in order to play well the fist challanges are smaller.
But for sure IF they go on playing in a group afterwards there will be waiting a whole new challange in sense of coordination/teamwork/tactics

Edited by Martin Oberhofer, 09 July 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#22 Arrogusss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 July 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

The team that plays most aggressively is pretty much guaranteed to win. When I see my team start shuffling towards a good hiding/sniping spot out of the game I know it's pretty much already over, best I can do is hope to get a kill or two before my team gets destroyed by the other team.

Pug games are now decided by balls. If your team has them and moves together to go find and destroy the other team, they're all but guaranteed to win. If your team mills around or does that shuffle to see who can be in the back, you're doomed. It's that simple.

I loged in at 2am est time, just to "like" this post. It is exactly true...to a degree.
Your team can't just rush into the wall of fire, but I have said it in three different ways, 3 different times in the past week... When 1 or 2 lights run off and go "sniping" or "spotting" leaving the team with no ecm support and another 5 or so mechs find a safe "hiding spot" I also know the game is lost right then and there.
I actually let everyone know 1 game on forest colony snow when I saw it happening..." Please don't half of you just hide in C11, evertime it loses games,thx"
Well right then and there I started to see mech after mech move from that hiding spot and start to head off towards tunnel etc on the radar. 2 minutes of tactical STOMPING we cleared the map and killed the last light mech on their base, winning 7-12.
I am finding 50 percent of the time that communicating will prevent really bad games sometimes. People are going to do what they want, but if you seeShit happening, call people on it. It really sucks to take the time and type out "blah blah blah" especially while being sniped at or with LRMs raining down; but it will help you get more wins in the long run and for me it makes it more enjoyable. Even sometimes when nobody helps or listens, I sit back and spectate chiming in at the right moment "told you so" :P

#23 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostGhostwolfe, on 09 July 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

Some might take the topic of this to be another QQ thread.

In truth I hope this game thrives, I've enjoyed battletech since the 80's

However, what the hell is going on Devs when it comes to the dang PUG matches? I'm sure as hell not going to drop $55 on a clan chassis when hopping into a regualr pug to get in a few games is now just plain not workable.

It has been consistently one team just stomps the other. Its not even fun when you do win like that. It was not always like this. Yeah it was not always that great but now that I can compare the old matches to the new ones I can say it sucks now.

Talking to others to try and get them to work as a team = a waste of time. Nobody listens 9 times out of 10. They just run off in ones and twos to play it like a console game. Taking company command = a joke.

[redacted]

I have toyed with the idea of actually throwing more money at you. I spent the $80 for the Overlord package. I was so disappointed that I waited until the clan mechs came out instead of doing a pre-purchase. I'm glad I waited. Not because the clan mechs suck, far from it. They look great. However there is NO reason to purchase "digital access" to those mechs when there is not a game to play with them.

I'll consider making a purchase when the match balance is improved. As it stands you may as well call it "Call of duty - mechwarrior edition"

How is pure pug worse? Only if the rumor I heard is elo is still broken so that is why! Not the new match maker.

Edited by Egomane, 10 July 2014 - 01:34 AM.
quote cleaned up

#24 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Solo PUG drops seem improved to me.

#25 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

On Canyon Network, tell your team to please not camp out in D4/D5, because it's a horrible position that almost always results in a loss, because the oncoming team has more safe sniper positions than you do, and you have limited places for non-JJ mechs to pop their heads up.

#26 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm getting much more close games than before, have you tried to, you know, L2P?

#27 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 09 July 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

I'm getting much more close games than before, have you tried to, you know, L2P?

I am pretty sure ELO is broken or nonexistent. I also know MM relaxes its self after time, so you can get more than 4x3 in group ques.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 09 July 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#28 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

I solo PUG only and I've had exactly the opposite experience. There has been exactly one 12-2 match since the latest patch/new MM. All the rest have been 12-6 or closer. I have screenshots to prove it, if you like.

Random does not mean uniform, or similar. Long streaks of one sided matches are possible even with a perfect match maker/player rating system. Welcome to random.

#29 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

For me its time of day. My morning games are usually horrible, and I only get decent games when id rive my "DireMoo" and derp as many of the enemy teams assaults the face as I possibly can before I die. I cant even drive my warhawk prime at all, it has to be a mech where i can do ridiculous alphas or just be a sneaky *******, like my blackjack. The problem with driving a blackjack is 4 and 1/2 tons of ac20 ammo cannot carry a team..LOL

#30 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostArrogusss, on 09 July 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I loged in at 2am est time, just to "like" this post. It is exactly true...to a degree.
Your team can't just rush into the wall of fire, but I have said it in three different ways, 3 different times in the past week... When 1 or 2 lights run off and go "sniping" or "spotting" leaving the team with no ecm support and another 5 or so mechs find a safe "hiding spot" I also know the game is lost right then and there.
I actually let everyone know 1 game on forest colony snow when I saw it happening..." Please don't half of you just hide in C11, evertime it loses games,thx"
Well right then and there I started to see mech after mech move from that hiding spot and start to head off towards tunnel etc on the radar. 2 minutes of tactical STOMPING we cleared the map and killed the last light mech on their base, winning 7-12.
I am finding 50 percent of the time that communicating will prevent really bad games sometimes. People are going to do what they want, but if you seeShit happening, call people on it. It really sucks to take the time and type out "blah blah blah" especially while being sniped at or with LRMs raining down; but it will help you get more wins in the long run and for me it makes it more enjoyable. Even sometimes when nobody helps or listens, I sit back and spectate chiming in at the right moment "told you so" :P

It's not about being suicidal, just aggressive. Moving forward together. Not lingering, not kicking around, when you drop on north side of river city and your whole team gets to D2 before the enemy gets to B4, you know it's going to be a rocking game. When Alpha doesn't leave B4, or you're on Tourmaline, it's 3 minutes in and your team hasn't even all gotten to the same place, you know it's going to be a lot of rude, painful surprises.

The team that gathers and pushes first will win 9 times out of 10. In fact I'd say 19 times out of 20.

#31 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

I'm not sure the derp percentage on average being higher on both teams is progress. Stomps still happen both because the game mechanics encourage snowball victories and the luck of the draw on percentage of competent teammates was always a bigger factor than the dreaded 4 man pug stomp crew.

That being said it didn't really make things worse either. Just kind of awkwardly shifted the situation sideways.

#32 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 09 July 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

I am pretty sure ELO is broken or nonexistent. I also know MM relaxes its self after time, so you can get more than 4x3 in group ques.

I am pretty sure ELO is fine, the game suffer greatly from weapon disbalance, the team that have more PPCs and Gauss rifles wins + random element like focusing a noob in meta chassis while experienced players tear your team apart.

#33 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 10 July 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

I am pretty sure ELO is fine, the game suffer greatly from weapon disbalance, the team that have more PPCs and Gauss rifles wins + random element like focusing a noob in meta chassis while experienced players tear your team apart.

Well, then its the MM cause I played with cow and something who just said he was new, tonight in solo que. I am sure I am not that low an elo. I was running a medium, which is not liked current mech but... in solo I hard to find fault with the MM over the lack of elo!

#34 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

[redacted]

I got over 6000 pug matches under my belt and still play them. I also saw comebacks from a 1-7 (fact is, you dont know how close the battles were, half their team could be cored already and being hold together by ducttape).

Grow some balls and fight.

Edited by Egomane, 10 July 2014 - 01:36 AM.
quote removed and redacted the direct answer

#35 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostTexAss, on 10 July 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

[redacted]

I got over 6000 pug matches under my belt and still play them. I also saw comebacks from a 1-7 (fact is, you dont know how close the battles were, half their team could be cored already and being hold together by ducttape).

Grow some balls and fight.

ALways play it out!

Edit: won one tonight like that! 2 almost fine timbers v. me(kintro 5lrm down to 3lrm 5) and severly hurt Timber. They stayed at range and tried to hide while we whittled then down and ended them.

Edited by Egomane, 10 July 2014 - 01:37 AM.
quote cleaned up

#36 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 10 July 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

ALways play it out!

Exactly. Besides, even when you know that your team is losing, at least make sure to take some of them down with you!

Edited by TexAss, 10 July 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#37 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

I've had a 9 kill game in a battlemaster that way. We were down 9 to 1 on Terra Therma - three of us had been flanking and were slow moving, caught up with 3 lights. We killed one, 2 ran off, realized whole rest of the team was dead.

We did the noble thing and b-lined into the pug-zapper - where we proceeded to kill EVERYONE. They were all hung together with spit and wire, out of ammo and easy kills. It was awesome.

You play it out. Always play it out.

#38 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

I still think elo is not working right. However, I rarely pug and now that I can group in 2-10, I am loving it, 12 man is just a bonus if we can 12! I'm usually doing 5-8 man.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 10 July 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#39 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,014 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostDaZur, on 09 July 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

file:///C:/Users/dav/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif Wow... Players still think there is some magic mathematical algorithm that can clandestinely influence the outcome of a game.
Game mechanics = unregulated.
Human element = unpredictable.
Elo = unreliable.
End result = Chaos.

book case games where based on probability tables for example so you could write a program that simulated 2 six sided dice now what happens if I change it to a five sided dice this game is well controlled it’s obvious, some matches your king of the hill others your pushing the override through the key board. If it wasn’t so well balanced you would see some real pug stomping

Edited by Davegt27, 10 July 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#40 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 July 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

book case games where based on probability tables for example so you could write a program that simulated 2 six sided dice now what happens if I change it to a five sided dice this game is well controlled it’s obvious, some matches your king of the hill others your pushing the override through the key board. If it wasn’t so well balanced you would see some real pug stomping

Um.. balanced be damned, I was commenting on the elo. Elo, is just one form of "balance" and I think its fooked!

50 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 50 guests, 0 anonymous users